Pulse-R question?

• Opie
    Participant
    Coon Rapids, MN

Heading up to Eagle Lake Ontario in a week and wondering what colors of the Pulse-R should I take for walleye and pike? Took white Moxies last year and absolutely tore them up!! What a blast. They are already packed, but wanted to have more in the arsenal. Thanks for the help.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Tell me about the water clarity. Clear or stained?

hop307
    Participant
    Northern Todd County

If it ain’t broke don’t fix it… but you can never go wrong with chart orange core or firecracker chart tail.

Joel Ballweg
    Participant
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

As I recall, Eagle Lake has a bit of a tea stain to it.
    But it’s also large enough and diverse enough that I would not be surprised if parts of it are clear as well.

I would not go anywhere without these colors:
    Chartreuse Pepper
    Chartreuse Green Core
    Chartreuse Orange Core
    Great White
    Firecracker Chartreuse Tail
    Stewarts Pro Blue
    Oystershell
    Purple Chartreuse Tail

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

I have fished Eagle lake it is typically a dark stained canadian shield lake, my best plastic color was always white, jig head didn’t seem to matter as I used the unpainted jig head while in canada as I have a tendency to loose a few.
    Second color would be anything with Chart, whether its in the body or the tail. But my first choice is white. Good Luck, I will be in Dryden this weekend, hopefully I can sneak out to a lake nearby.

Jake_A
    Participant

Has anyone experimented with the Pulse-R’s in rivers for trout at all? Kinda looks tempting…

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Not yet. That would be a new one for me and would be very interested to hear how it turns out. The current Pulse-R might be a touch big for most stream trout… a smaller version might be in order for that type of application but you’ll not know until you try, right?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Stained water = white and chartreuse orange core as my two go-to colors with a heavy preference towards the chartreuse orange core.

If there’s a strong population of smelt or ciscoe as forage oytsershell on a brightly colored jighead is a dynamite match and has produced some of my larger walleyes on stained bodies of water when the fish are keying on larger baitfish, particularly cisoes.

Other colors worth having along have already been mentioned by those that have actually fished the body of water so I’d follow their recommendations closely.

Jake_A
    Participant

23″ brown last night came on a moxie…. If there was a 2.5″ version that would be awesome

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

23″ brown last night came on a moxie…. If there was a 2.5″ version that would be awesome

Man, that’s too cool!

And as for the smaller sizes… I can’t let the cat out of the bag. But trust that I have a bag. And there’s a cat in it.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

And there’s a cat in it.

Now we’re talking!!

Jake_A
    Participant

Don’t give the cat to Bk, otherwise were all in trouble

That trout was a suprise as I was trying something new…going to be throwing stewarts pr-blue more often!

Smaller sizes would be awesome!

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Quote:

Quote:

And there’s a cat in it.

Now we’re talking!!

Do you get an email every time the word Cat is mentioned on this site….

Your good or bored at work?

Try trimming back some of the Pulse-R, It won’t have the same action, but it may be just enough of what the fish are asking for.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Smaller sizes would be awesome!

Well how about that? I’ve been given clearance to let that cat loose.

Coming soon… 3.0 Moxie & 2.5 Pulse-R’s.

The original Moxie is a 4.0 and the smaller version will be 3.0. That’s in inches, of course.

The original Pulse-R is 3.25 and the smaller version will be 2.5. Again, in inches. All dimensions have been reduced proportionally so the look and action will not change… the only difference is the baits will be smaller.

Prototypes have been approved and molds are under construction. Expect availability by mid-summer.

bendvoracek
    Participant
    Eden Prairie, MN

James,

Quote:

Stained water = white and chartreuse orange core as my two go-to colors with a heavy preference towards the chartreuse orange core.

What would be your go to colors in Clear water?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

James,

Quote:

What would be your go to colors in Clear water?

Pro Blue is one of my favorites in clear water. Add in Firecracker (with or without chart tail), oystershell and purple chart. for dark, overcast days and you’ve got a good start for clear water.

Jake_A
    Participant

James that is awesome to hear always looking for new options…if the trout hit 3″ Berkley Ripple Shads then they should pound these smaller versions!

Gary Sanders
    Participant
    Lake Wisconsin

Eagle Lake has both deep, rocky and gin clear water and shallower, weedy and stained. I depends on where you’re going to fish. Regardless it is AWESOME water to fish.

Mike W
    Participant
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

I have had a fair amount of crappies on the river this year try to tackle the bigger Pulse R’s but just dont seem to get the hook into them. If will be fun to try to smaller size for them. The tail action on them seem to be a great magnet for many fish species.

Randy Wieland
    Participant
    Lebanon. WI

Quote:

Has anyone experimented with the Pulse-R’s in rivers for trout at all? Kinda looks tempting…

I used them (white) for steelhead in the Root River for bedded fish. Worked best when I cut them down about an inch. Small stand up jig with it sitting about a foot ahead of the hen. The male was the first to blast it then after awhile the hen would nip it. Having the hook as far back as possible made a difference for hook ups.

Opie
    Participant
    Coon Rapids, MN

Sorry all, been away from the pc most of the day. We will be in the Vermillion Bay area of Eagle. The water is slightly stained, but clear (if that makes since). I was already considering the chartruse with the orange core, but will add a couple of others. Last year was my first year there and it was a blast.

James, the smaller moxies and pulse-r’s sound great. The moxi has been one of the best plastics I have used in the past year.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.