Walnut Tree

• Dream’n
    Participant
    South St. Paul, Mn

I have a 15″-16″ diameter black walnut tree that I am thinking about having removed. I am not a great judge on height! Is it true that I could get a reduced rate of removal because of the value of the wood?
    Thanks Dream’n

Rob2001
    Participant
    Savage, MN

I went through this at my last house that had 8 large Black Walnuts (man were those walnuts a PITA in the fall). From my research log buyers are very picky, especially when they are taking small lots of the stuff. One or two won’t make them go out of there way for it unless it is PRIME wood. Also if it is grown in an urban area and not in the woods they generally don’t have the proper characteristics they are looking for. Urban trees generally grow more out than up, and they have a potential of objects in the trunk like nails, wire, etc. that could damage their equipment. They also don’t have the straightest trunks.

Where are you measuring the diameter? You should be measuring it 4 1/2 feet above the ground. Unfortunately 15 inches is about the smallest timber buyers are looking for, with a merchantable height(1 foot above the ground to the base of the first branch) of 8-10 feet. Otherwise there are too many knots and imperfections for veneers.

It doesn’t hurt to talk with a tree company about it, but I wouldn’t get my hopes up of getting a huge reduction in removal price.

rkd-jim
    Participant
    Fountain City, WI.

Quote:

they have a potential of objects in the trunk like nails, wire, etc. that could damage their equipment.

Most if not all buyers won’t even consider a “city tree” due to obstructions inside the tree. The value of the tree doesn’t even begin to cover the cost of new carbide inserts.

drew-evans
    Participant
    rochester MN

Quote:

Quote:

they have a potential of objects in the trunk like nails, wire, etc. that could damage their equipment.

Most if not all buyers won’t even consider a “city tree” due to obstructions inside the tree. The value of the tree doesn’t even begin to cover the cost
    of new carbide inserts.

X2 if its in your yard they are not taking it. we had several logging companies give us estimates on our trees in the woods and we also had several nice trees in the yard and they wouldnt even consider it and we are the only ones to have ever lived there and could say 99 percent that there was no nails in the tree they still wouldnt take it.

suzuki
    Participant
    Woodbury, Mn

Wish I had one in my yard. Proably cause when I grew up everyone had one in the yard. I always had to pick up the mess but wish I had them to dry and eat now.

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

i usually have about 3-6 new walnut trees spring up in my garden every year if any one wants one!!!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.