Balancing A Rod

• trumar
    Rochester, Mn

When one says a certain reel balances the rod , what do you mean ?

Are you using a fulcrum point to balance the rod which means it sets level or do you mean it feels balanced in your hands ?

For rod example lets use the LEGENDXTREME® SPINNING ROD XS69MLXF.

How do you personally know/think it is balanced to you needs of a balanced combo ?

TIA Jeff

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Jeff, this issue is part of my rigging seminar…

Fishermen often take steps to balance their rods. A balanced fishing rod is easier to cast and handle for long periods of time, reducing fatigue in the hands and forearms. Many professional anglers also believe that a balanced rod helps improve sensitivity in the rod tip, making it easier to detect fish striking the bait. If you want to know how to balance a fishing rod, follow these guidelines.

A balanced rig is important when fishing with lures, like blades and jigs… especially when pitching them and working them downstream…

I fish these baits with the rod tip up at a 10 o’clock position (I am also a line watcher). A balanced fishing rod keeps the my hands in a relaxed position that allows them to detect small changes in line tension. It also reduces fatigue from hours of casting and holding the rod upright.

Spinning reels mount under the rod and must be matched with specially designed spinning rods for optimum effectiveness.

When you’ve matched your rod and reel, test the rig’s balance. If you have a spincast or baitcast set-up, try to balance it horizontally on your index finger. Place your finger along the underside of the rod, just in front of the reel. If the tip edges downward, the rod is too heavy for the reel. If the handle tips downward, choose a lighter reel to achieve optimum balance.

If you’re testing a spinning rod for balance, try to hold it with your index finger right where the reel is seated in the rod. If the set-up is neutral, the rod should hold a horizontal plane while you’re holding it.

Few set-ups will have perfect balance. The key is to find a combination that doesn’t quickly tip in one direction or the other when you’re trying to balance it on your finger.

The XS69MLXF is my favorite rod for lighter blades and jigs and balances well with a Pflueger Arbor 4730 or Shimano 1000 Stradic…

My LE70MLF balances a Stradic 2500 well…its longer and a tad heavier…

jerry b
    western WI

Back when I was really nutso about building my own rods, I’d locate and wrap my guides, build and shape the handle and reel seat then assemble everything before I made it permanent. That way I could hang the reel I was going to use and made sure it balanced. I’d then hang a 1/4 oz jig off the end and final balance every thing. Don’t know if I caught any more fish by doing that, but it helped fill a long winter night or two. Now, a nap works just as well jerr

heavychevy
    prole, iowa (close to martinsdale)

guess im a lazy fisherman. I cast the line, then set it on the ground proped up with a forked stick, drink a beer till my pole dances

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

This is a great question Jeff. Personally I think much of how’s and why’s depend on personal preference. Myself I like the rod to be more weight rearward, behind the hand, so the rod tip stays lighter. I feel that it improves sensitivity balanced as such.

Line should play into balancing a rod too. Using too heavy of a line can erase just about all of the inherent sensitivity the rod comes with and some rods can see the sensitivity diminish even using the heaviest line recommended for the rod.

I lay a finger on the front reel shoe hood of the reel seat and if the tip rises slightly with no urging, then it is balanced the way I like it.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.