Restraining order on neighbor??

• wes_bergemann
    Participant
    Crystal, MN

Does a person really need to get restraining orders to keep neighbors from thinking they can turn your huntin dog into a lap dog when you are away fishing?!?!?!?

In October (LPO) I was notified that my dog was habitually barking/whining. After a shortened fishing trip because of it, I find out that the neighbors have been going in the back yard when I am gone fishing and they are feeding my dog treats. when they leave, she whines. (she just gives me puppy eyes because she knows whining never gets her anything). Her whining with the neighbors however, got the cops called when I was gone.

After that, the neighbor was told to leave the dog alone and it was not to be treated like her lap dog.

Today, after returning from a short trip on pool 4, guess who I found trying to hide by our backyard fence because she was feeding my dog treats!!!! BUSTED!!!

So how does one go about officially getting a restraining order or a no trespassing order? I could give a rats arse on trying to be civil with them anymore. Law needs to be forced on this one. I did call the dispatcher and they said I would have to wait and call the courthouse, but couldn’t give me any more information than that.

mrwalleye
    Participant
    MN

I could put my 80 pound lab in the fence and tell her to guard the house, she would rip the neighbor a new one if she comes in the fence

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Borrow a trail camera. Get evidence. Press charges for tresspass?

mplspug
    Participant
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Yep!

Quote:

Her whining with the neighbors however, got the cops called when I was gone.

Some other neighbor call the cops?

I say 3 strikes and you are out. Tell her this is the last warning and you are going to use the law next. And it shouldn’t be too hard for you either. I was told by a city official to be careful because pets are considered property, when I asked if I could live trap a neighbor’s cat and bring it to the Humane Society. So they are messing with your property and there are a lot of laws against that.

Man, I hate people who think it is OK to do whatever they want. Tell the jackbag to get their own damn dogs if they feel the need to coddle a dog and give it treats. Who actually thinks that it is OK to go against a dog’s owner, especially after they were told not to?

Respect is a fading courtesy.

wes_bergemann
    Participant
    Crystal, MN

Quote:

Her whining with the neighbors however, got the cops called when I was gone.

Some other neighbor call the cops?

nope – same neighbor called the cops.

Do I need to get a squad car here today to get it “documented” so I don’t get the run around next week when I contact the court house? Dispatch seemed clueless.

mplspug
    Participant
    Palmetto, Florida

So they are giving them treats and calling the cops because they are whining??? They must not be very bright. They can’t put 2 and 2 together.

I can’t tell you the legalities, because I have no certain idea. But calling the cops and getting it documented would be ok, but you probably are just as good if you just document it yourself and any other incidents. Any time you are having issues with someone they always say document everything and include dates and as much detail as possible. With that I would think it would be pretty easy to get some sort of order against them.

Once you have an order, they are really going to be screwed if they violate it.

Maybe calling the cops and having them talk to them would also get it through their thick skulls.

wes_bergemann
    Participant
    Crystal, MN

Quote:

Shouldn’t need a trail cam. My fishing partner was there and saw it all.

wes_bergemann
    Participant
    Crystal, MN

Quote:

So they are giving them treats and calling the cops because they are whining??? They must not be very bright. They can’t put 2 and 2 together.

BINGO!!! Pug, I don’t care what anybody else says about you…..you are at least smarter than my neighbor

stratos_375
    Participant
    Southern Wisconsin

From a law enforcement view…I would call the cops, tell them what happened and request they make contact with the suspect and tell them they can no longer be on your property or feeding your dog, if they fail to follow the simple rules you will press charges for trespass on all future occurrences. It is important to have the police documentation for any future violations. Also have it documented in the report the name of your witness.

In my experience after I make contact with a suspect they usually don’t continue in a situation like yours…but if they do and I go back and charge them, either with a citation or criminal charge they don’t have a leg to stand on in court.

johnie1610
    Participant
    Eau Claire, WI

Call the cops and have an officer come out. Your documentation and witness are just heresay evidence. If you have an officer come out it is on official record here in WI heresay doesnt mean dick

Brian Hoffies
    Participant
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Quote:

From a law enforcement view…I would call the cops, tell them what happened and request they make contact with the suspect and tell them they can no longer be on your property or feeding your dog, if they fail to follow the simple rules you will press charges for trespass on all future occurrences. It is important to have the police documentation for any future violations. Also have it documented in the report the name of your witness.

In my experience after I make contact with a suspect they usually don’t continue in a situation like yours…but if they do and I go back and charge them, either with a citation or criminal charge they don’t have a leg to stand on in court.

Great answer. That is what I would do. No sense burning bridges if you don’t have to. Let the officer deliver the FINAL message. If for some reason that doesn’t work then legal action will have to be taken.

grumpy
    Participant
    Iowa, Clinton

master lock the gate and put grease all over the lock! oh, don’t forget you put grease on the lock:)

DrewH
    Participant
    s/w WI.

Remember, guilty verdicts are given as the result of a popnderance of perjury. Jk

skeeterbite
    Participant
    illinois

An electric fence would give them a little shock therapy

big_g
    Participant
    Isle, MN

how much can treats cost you ??? sorry.. couldn’t resist. Agree with call the cops… seems they have no problem doing it when your puppy whines

jerrj01
    Participant
    Hudson, WI

Had the flip side problem with former neighbors and their dogs leaving piles in my yard. After warning I finally had to contact animal services. This won’t help you, but you should be able to file a formal complaint at the police station as well as the other suggestions. his gives you more credibility that the neighbor is a problem. A visit from the police will normally take care of the problem and if it doesn’t at least the neighbors will understand that you are serious.

Btw…how was the fishing?

tomhopkins
    Participant
    waconia, mn

Quote:

. X2. To hear someone say I saw them is one thing but showing them is indisputable. plus ya never know what else they may be up to. Mabie they are teasing the dog too. There is no limit to human stupidity.

mower
    Participant
    Wisconsin, Outagamie

Yes, call the cops. Had kids running around and was afraid they would get hurt or bit. They we making other problems too. But after a couple of visits from the cops. No more problem.

Dakotah
    Participant

Just throw your dog stools back over to their yard. You can tell them you are just giving back their treats if they complain.

seeds
    Participant
    SE WI

I tried “please” with my neighbors for a long time. It didn’t work with the thrice-weekly over-the-top-loud parties,it didn’t help with illegal burning when the wind’s blowing towards my house,it didn’t help when one was parking on my lawn.

Insisting didn’t work either.

It sucks to be the one to call LE over something that’s relatively minor but if you’re forced to,do it.

rvvrrat
    Participant
    The Sand Prairie

Quote:

Just throw your dog stools back over to their yard. You can tell them you are just giving back their treats if they complain.

I like this “solution”…even though it involves solids…

reddog
    Participant

Take the dog fishing… Problem solved..

hunt4fun
    Participant
    becker Minnesota

tell them your dog has food allergies and if they want to feed them they can pay vet bill that’s what I did worked great for me

baldwin4
    Participant
    NE IA

Quote:

Quote:

Would still trail cam for future proof….

Steve Plantz
    Participant
    SE MN

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Would still trail cam for future proof….

Better yet if possible set up a web cam and put up a live feed here on IDO your dog would be under someones watchfull eyes 24/7.

carroll58
    Participant
    Twin Cities, USA

I agree with many others, get documentation via “still photos” &”video wIth sound” if you can.
    The sound to verify how much noise/barking your dog its doing and if someone is trading the dog into barking.

If you can get video from multiple angles to verify all that its going on when you’re away you’ll have the while story to present as evidence. WIth sound recordings, you’ll be able to tell if someone possibly out of sight its making noise to purposely or not disturb your dog.

Good Luck

aquajoe
    Participant
    Minnetonka, MN.

Not sure but a dog barking in Minnetonka for more then 10 mins continuously can get the owner a ticket. Maybe as she wants is the dog to stop barking and whinning. I am just saying.

But does not give ther right to tresspass either.

mplspug
    Participant
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Not sure but a dog barking in Minnetonka for more then 10 mins continuously can get the owner a ticket. Maybe as she wants is the dog to stop barking and whinning. I am just saying.

But does not give ther right to trespass either.

I think the 10 minute rule is the case most places.

And if this is the case, I reiterate, they aren’t too bright. They are just rewarding the behavior which will make it worse. Dog Training 101.

suzuki
    Participant
    Woodbury, Mn

Neighbor kids were doing that to my dog. I told them no a couple times then I gave them a baggie of my dogs food and said use this if your going to feed her. They ended up stopping after that. Your neighbor sounds mental.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.