Walleye/Trout Montana! (pics)

• walleye_wisdom
    Participant
    Big Sky Country Helena, MT (Adel, IA home)

Well, within my first two weeks here I’ve caught a trophy Westslope Cutthroat trout, 30 Walleye in one day, and seen/hiked some amazing terrain.

I can’t use words to describe this place. I can be on the river and 5 lakes within 15 min from my house or deep in the mountains within 15 min. The limit on the Missouri River near me is 20 walleye per day…

I’ll let the pictures do the talking…

francisco4
    Participant
    Holmen, WI

That is one heck of a first post from your new home. Congrats on catching on quickly!

FDR

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

But what about the catfish?

The picts did do the talking WW. Looking…awesome!

Jack Naylor
    Participant
    Apple Valley, MN

ww
    looking very nice out there,
    are the walleyes from Holter Resv ??
    fished that for trout back in the early ’70’s.
    good luck out there.
    Jack

mossydan
    Participant
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Nice pictures and it would be a nice river to fish. They let us know what it looks like in Montana.

b-mac
    Participant
    Hudson, WI

<—Jealous

Joel Ballweg
    Participant
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Very nice!
    Looks like your living the good life out there.

Boog

Ron Johnsen
    Participant
    Platteville wi

Nice pics

chomps
    Participant
    Sioux City IA

geez envious that you can find Rainier Beer

Steveinsene
    Participant
    SE Nebraska

You got it made out there!

bret_clark
    Participant
    Sparta, WI

Very cool

mbenson
    Participant
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Wait til you find the pheasants and ducks!!!

Mark

ironheadr5
    Participant
    Northeast, Iowa

I totally Agree, it is an AMAZING part of our Great Country !!!!!

big_g
    Participant
    Isle, MN

Glad it is working out for you ww jealous here… You need to change your location on your profile to “Big Sky”

mikez
    Participant
    Missoula MT, Eldridge IA

Looks like you found a couple of good spots!!! I used to do a lot of hunting and fishing over in your area years ago, mainly Holter lake area.

Also looks like you’re fishing both from a boat and shore? Just a heads up, it’s that time of year when the bears come done in the valleys to put on the feed bag. Already had about a half dozen wonder into Missoula the past two weeks. One actually tried to enter the automatic doors at the airport terminal last Wednesday evening!

I’ve run into my share while out fishing from shore. Usually they are nothing to really worry about but, you just never know. I only had one false charge in all those meetings but, it did get my attention!!! Just be aware of your suroundings and you’ll be good.

walleye_wisdom
    Participant

Speed Trollin – I need to get some bear spray, found out the area I have been fishing in is pretty thick with Griz and a couple people I talked to said I NEED to get some.

Are you still in Missoula right now?

mikez
    Participant
    Missoula MT, Eldridge IA

Walleye Wisdom…Yep, there are plenty of Griz out here. Fortunatly most of my run ins have been with black bears but, you just never know what you’ll run into this time of year!!! I’d recommend a can of bear spray as well!!!

Don’t know if you hunt but, if you do just know that many of the Griz have learned that a gun shot often means an easy meal!!! At least once a year a hunter gets tagged from behind during hunting season while they gut/clean their kill. Always keep your eyes open around you and better yet, hunt with someone to watch your back side.

Yep, still in Missoula. Transfered back here for my job about a year ago from Iowa. The current plan is to retire here in western Montana in about 5 years, if I’m lucky. (As I recall, you’re from Cedar Falls? I was raised in Waterloo. )

I’m usually pretty busy with work but, if you ever need help netting those walleyes, I’d be happy to volunteer!!!! I’m having serious withdrawl, not being able to fish the Mississippi!!!

Welcome to Big Sky Country!

Ralph Wiggum
    Participant
    Maple Grove, MN

Bear spray???

mikez
    Participant
    Missoula MT, Eldridge IA

Yep!!!! Just a question of whether you prefer liquid or solid!

Randy Wieland
    Participant
    Lebanon. WI

Quote:

Bear spray???

X10!!!!!

Very jealous! I went to Henry’s Fork when I was 15, and didn’t do enough exploring. That entire region of our Country from Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, Oregon, Washington just leaves you in awe. Dreamed of living out there since I was a kid…..but never made it happen. Glad to see you living life!

walleye_wisdom
    Participant

Randy- It goes without saying, you have a place to stay out here anytime you want to come out. I’ve only been here a couple weeks and I’ve already got some hot spots…

Also FINALLY saw my first herd of elk and heard a couple bugle! Sent chills down my spine!

Speed Trollin’ – Let me know whenever you want to get out, I’ll be ready. I’ve got an extra seat in my boat and I’d love to have some company! I need to make it over to Missoula one of these days to, heard it’s neat!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.