Alternate way to mount trolling transducer??

• haywood04
    Participant
    Winona, Minnesota

Has anyone come up with a way to mount a transducer in the front of the boat without it being on the trolling motor? I realize this is most likely the simplest way to do it but the cord and nipping or cutting has happened to me in the past.
    Any brilliant inventors come up with a simple and useable method?

tom_gursky
    Participant
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Boy, I hope you get a response to this question.
    I am thinking about the same thing for m rig. Don’t care for the cables and the sonar-ready elec motors are lots more $$$.

Fife
    Participant
    Ramsey, MN

I don’t know much about it, but my uncle had a trandsducer put into the bottom of his boat. The boat is 20 ft. long so you can see the depth change very easily when you are right on the edge. I think they can only do this with a glass boat.

derek_johnston
    Participant
    On the water- Minnesota

You can upgrade to the new Minn-kota Universal motors with the built in ducer or silicone the ducer to the bottom of the hull.

Don Hanson
    Participant

You may want to check out the portable tranducer brackets.,Cabelas has them. A few years back I juct used pvc pipe and a c-clamp. It was not pretty but it did the job.

herb
    Participant
    6ft under

I can’t understand why you guys have so much trouble with cables getting pinched or cut. Never ever been a problem for me.

blue-fleck
    Participant
    Dresbach, MN

Because Herbie you are a genius.

wade_kuehl
    Participant
    Northwest Iowa

You can use in-hull ducers, like Derek said. They’re sometimes referred to as “shoot thru the hull” ducers. You can do this with most transom mount ducers I believe. Do yo know Derek? And, of course there is the Universal Sonar option.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

I don’t believe they even have cable down in Oakville

No wonder you never pinch your own cable

derek_johnston
    Participant
    On the water- Minnesota

Thats correct Wade, you can mount most type through the hull, although not ideal. With cable ties,electrical tape and just paying attention to your ducer cable, mounting it on the motor is usually not a problem.

mcwalleye
    Participant
    Mississippi Pool 16

Haven’t tried it yet, but I just finished mounting my transducer on the transom and threading the cable under the floor to the front of my Lund 1650. Had just enough cable to reach the front. No cable mess, all concealed. Only problem is the depth will show for the rear of the boat

wade_kuehl
    Participant
    Northwest Iowa

Quote:

Haven’t tried it yet, but I just finished mounting my transducer on the transom and threading the cable under the floor to the front of my Lund 1650. Had just enough cable to reach the front. No cable mess, all concealed. Only problem is the depth will show for the rear of the boat

That’ll be fine as long as you don’t plan to run your other fishfinder at the same time. If you run two ducers side-by-side you’re bound to get a mess of interference. But, if you only run one at a time you should be okay. Anybody else have a thought on that???

herb
    Participant
    6ft under

Wade, I run a Vexilar fl8 and a Lowrance X71 at the same time on the underside of my trolling motor and have no problem with interference. Different frequencies I suspect.
    BF, if you must know, yes, I am a genius.
    Ecnook, no, I don’t have cable, not even a dish
    And about that other thing–I think we’d better have a little talk over a lotta beer.

derek_johnston
    Participant
    On the water- Minnesota

Herb, both of your units are running at 200khz. You must fish shallow water?

herb
    Participant
    6ft under

Derek, thanks for the info on the khz. I never really paid any attention to that. You could be right about fishing shallow. 15ft is probably the deepest water that I’ve used them both in. Not sure at what depth the cones would run into each other. I’ll find out next rip to Mark Twain I guess. The Vex can certainly make a liar out of the lcr.
    But I know the next machine I purchase will be the 507 edge.

derek_johnston
    Participant
    On the water- Minnesota

Photos provided by Vexilar Inc.

derek_johnston
    Participant
    On the water- Minnesota

You will be really happy with the Edge Herb.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.