POD Storage-Advice

• jkratky
    Lino Lakes, MN

I need to put home furnishings in storage for an extended period of time.
    Has anybody used the POD or similar? Any sugestions would help. I’m concerned about loading couchs and chairs do’s and don’ts. Is it safe to stack items on top of them or will that damage the cushions and springs etc…I’ve checked into some options and pricing. But it’s the loading that has me concerned. Any Help?

John

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Quote:

I need to put home furnishings in storage for an extended period of time.
    Has anybody used the POD or similar? Any sugestions would help. I’m concerned about loading couchs and chairs do’s and don’ts. Is it safe to stack items on top of them or will that damage the cushions and springs etc…I’ve checked into some options and pricing. But it’s the loading that has me concerned. Any Help?

John

I have never used PODS. If possible I would stand couches on end rather then stack boxes on the springs. Try and span the arms on chairs with something stiff such as ironing boards or leafs for you dining room table. I really don’t think it’s ever a good idea to stack boxes on springs.

Also I don’t care how secure they claim the units to be mice will get in. Buy a box of Bounce dryer fabric sheets. A big box!! Spread them amongst the boxes from the front to the back, top to bottom. It will help with the mice.

Last always load things you think you might want in the back. Nothing sucks worse then having to unload 1/2 the unit to get out a TV or favorite chair you have to have.

super_do
    St Michael, MN

What about moisture problems with these things? We had a storage garage in Rogers,MN years ago and everything we put in there was pretty much ruined do to moisture, mold and rust.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

These pod systems are really a very short term solution for temporary storage. There is no means for environmental controls, so humidity, moisture, rodents,….all will have have some affect at a given time. Not if, but when! I have had a lot of customers over the years use these. When used as designed (very short term) they served the purpose very well. But a few customers that elected to use these for long term all had issues. Just keep in mind the common factors that will have an influence on what you store in them. Time of year, temperature and humidity ranges, freezing/thaw will all have an impact.

I realize that off site storage units are much more expensive, but considering what you may store, they could be a better investment.

jkratky
    Lino Lakes, MN

another thought…. indoors vs. outdoors?
    just talked to the guy at gominis, outside storage(in there special containers?)and they have never had a claim due to mice,water or humidity.

jkratky
    Lino Lakes, MN

Quote:

These pod systems are really a very short term solution for temporary storage. There is no means for environmental controls, so humidity, moisture, rodents,….all will have have some affect at a given time. Not if, but when! I have had a lot of customers over the years use these. When used as designed (very short term) they served the purpose very well. But a few customers that elected to use these for long term all had issues. Just keep in mind the common factors that will have an influence on what you store in them. Time of year, temperature and humidity ranges, freezing/thaw will all have an impact.

I realize that off site storage units are much more expensive, but considering what you may store, they could be a better investment.

what would consist of an off site storage??

brunn
    Andover, MN

I used PODS when moving last winter. My experience was mostly positive. 2 things to consider – buy lots of straps and secure everything and do not arrange for pickup of your POD after a blizzard.
    Without trying to sound like a commercial, PODS delivers your container where you want it, you load it at your leisure and if you want your stuff stored, they will pick it up and bring it to their secure and environmentally controlled storage facility (I think it is in Brooklyn Park). It was actually cheaper for me to have them store my stuff at their facility for 1 day, than to do a same day pick-up and delivery. Of course there are extra charges if you keep the POD for more than 30 days (you are renting it after all). I didn’t need to store my stuff for very long, but overall I would say they did a pretty good job. Another thing to consider should you use PODS, when you know they date you need your stuff back, call as soon as possible. They may advertise that they will deliver when you want it, but I found out their schedules doesn’t always work out with yours (they don’t deliver on Sundays).

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Quote:

what would consist of an off site storage??

Around here, you can rent warehouse space for a reasonable amount compared to PODS or garage storage. For the extra cost, you have the building heated/cooled

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.