Moving to Montana!!!!

• walleye_wisdom
    Participant
    Big Sky Country Helena, MT (Adel, IA home)

So after about a month in waiting I was able to complete a transfer within my company and I’ll be packing up my stuff and heading to Helena, Montana here in the next month.

I’m very very excited as this has been a goal of mine since I was young to get out west and live chase some big game and fish remote areas. Words cannot describe how excited I am to be in this area and have millions of acres of land to use.

If anyone has and tips/suggestions on moving and or the Helena area, let me know!

stuart
    Participant
    Mn.

After moving to Minnesota from Ceder Falls/Waterloo 27 yrs ago.My best advice is to know you meen to stay there and live forever.The first five yrs are tuff on missing every thing about home.Helena is amazing country.Best of luck to you.

drewsdad
    Participant
    Crosby, MN

Good luck sir! Walleyes are considered roughfish out there (and here by the catfish guys) so you won’t have a lot of competition for them. And DON’T take Holst with you. He has been threatening to “move west” too.

dd

kruger
    Participant
    Metro,mn

Congrats!!! That is also one of my things on the bucket list…I was thinking more west even. I think Missoula is where ill go

Wade Boardman
    Participant
    Grand Rapids, MN

That’s awesome, congrats.

I’ve been hunting Eastern Montana for about 6 years. It’s a blast. You’ll really enjoy the big game variety that we simply do not have here. PLUS, the late season duck hunting in the hot springs area is UNBELIEVABLE.

Fishhound
    Participant

I lived 13 years in Great Falls. Helena is a fantastic location. Good walleye fishing in Holter Lake. Suggest you learn how to fly fish too. Helena is centrally located for fishing the Three Forks, Holter Resivoiur and different stretches of the Missouri river. Fantastic deer/elk hunting. Bird hunting is fantastic. SW Montana offers great fishing too. Suggest you join a service club. Optimist, Rotary or Lions club. This will help you find friends who hunt/fish quickly. Access is the key. Public lands are excellent, but private lands are even better. People are very friendly. We found it very easy to make freinds. Great skiing out of Bozeman too. Good luck!

big_g
    Participant
    Isle, MN

That’s way cooler than moving to St Cloud Good luck and look forward to some MT posts I elk hunt about an hour and a half away near Belt MT, in the Highwood Mts Beautiful country..and a little rough

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

A nephew and his wife moved to Butte about 14 years ago for work. I think he’s been back four or five times to visit and swears he’ll never move back to Minnesota….or anywhere. They live just outside of Boseman now and they love it. Enjoy!

Steve Plantz
    Participant
    SE MN

Congrats and best of luck to you, I will look forward to seeing your first big game hunting report on IDH!!!
    An elk hunt out west is definitely on my bucket list I just might have to contact you someday for more info when I am ready.

Doug Bonwell
    Participant
    Cedar Falls IA

Congrats again D! Wishing you the very best.

mud
    Participant

Moved to Colorado and stayed five years. No regrets, other than I had a better job offer here so I had to come back
    Can’t beat the beauty and the air. Good luck and have fun.

Jack Naylor
    Participant
    Apple Valley, MN

Have a great move out to montana,
    twice I spent 6 weeks flying missions out of great falls, one was in the fall, and then the following spring.
    great country, hunting and fishing.
    spend quite a bit of time on Holter resevoir, don’t think it had walleyes back then, but the trout fishing was awesome, check it out.

Jack

arklite881south
    Participant

Very exciting!! I’m pretty sure I could convince my wife “Fishing Queen” to head out to horse country!!! Personally I’m with you; I’d love to chase the big game in wide open spaces!! Congratulations on making things happen for yourself.

Whiskerkev
    Participant
    Madison

Ditto on learning how to fly fish if you don’t already. I learned how to fly fish from my grandpa camping in the Beartooth range. There is no better place to learn it.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Very jealous!!! I’d move there in a heartbeat if the wife would get on board. Got a buddy out there and his pics drive me crazy.

Best of luck on the relocation!!

mikez
    Participant
    Missoula MT, Eldridge IA

You’ll love it out here. Helena is a great area and there are walleyes in both Holter lake and Canyon Ferry lake!!!

mbenson
    Participant
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

“movin’ to Montana soon, goin’ to be dental floss tycoon!!!” Frank Zappa

Good luck in your move to a great location in the good ole USA!!!

Mark

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.