VRO oil units

• yahbuddy
    Holmen, WI

I have a 1995 Evinrude 60 horse with the VRO oil injection system and have had a few conversations with other boat owners on the problems related or not related to that system. I have been told by a couple of mechanics to just take it out and mix my own oil. Has anybody else had any experience with these systems?

happycampin
    New Richmond, WI

I have a 96 Evinrude 115 and received the same advice, but decided to roll the dice and stay original. After 4 years of ownership I am happy with my decision.

Ryan

Whiskerkev
    Madison

I had a 70 that had that and the vro took a dump and so did a cylinder and 2K later I had a working motor which I then sold.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

99% of the time a VRO pump will fail to the rich side like mine did…
    My only reason for bypassing the VRO was monetary….$450 for a new pump,or $75 to bypass…
    I would still have it otherwise…

Kev….It’s odd that only one cylinder would be affected by the VRO.. as it feeds both cylinders at the same time…the VRO pump is in front of the carb…

RSN32

I have a 60hp with the vro removed, no oil tank in the boat and I always know its getting oil. I also have a large fuel tank so I don’t have to fill up on the water wicth I could see being a hassle, carring and mixing oil at the dock. All in all doesnt bother me not having it.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

There are vids on Youtube on how to disconnect/remove the pump.

-J.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Had a 60 hp Evenrude with VRO and I ran it for tens years never an issue with the VRO sold the boat and it is still running to day. The very early ones had issues once they updated the pump very few issues with them after that.

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

Are you talking about the Very Random Operating pumps??

If you have a good one it will be fine. If you have a bad one it can spell disaster. Worst case being a blown motor and best case being just an alarm.
    If it gives you any trouble at all, disconnect it and just mix the oil.
    If it doesnt than just keep using it.
    The only thing to be careful of is to make sure that the alarms are working on the motor and check the level of your oil regularly to make sure that it is using oil.

barebackjack
    New Prague, MN.

You aren’t going to get one solid answer on this subject so do what fits you. I disconnected mine, then reconnected it, I had no issues with it other than some stupid sensor gone bad.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.