Vermillion river to clear lake

• mwal
    Participant
    Rosemount,MN

Has anyone boated from the Vermilion river from the boat landing at Etter to Clear Lake. Used to fish Clear lake in my youth but accessed through farmers yard he had coffee can dropped money took oars off wall of the barn and hopped in a leaky jon boat. We caught some nice pike in August due to the springs upwelling along the bank. Would like to go there again.

Mwal

chris-tuckner
    Participant
    Hastings/Isle MN

Depending on your boat size, you can launch right at the Etter bridge and head down to Clear. You may want to drag a #5 or #7 Shad Rap on your way down and back. Not saying any walleyes are in theat stretch….

phigs
    Participant
    Twin Cities, MN

you can run a smaller boat down there right now, but with the summer water levels, be on the lookout for stumps(there are a lot) and there is one part where if you do not follow the channel just right, you will have to walk the boat across a couple sand bars.

just take it easy if its your first time running a boat down there.

mwal
    Participant
    Rosemount,MN

HI Tuck,

We will be in a lund s-16 with a 30hp and of course our trusty push poles. We will drag the raps and have some stink bait and red eye wigglers/Daredevils.

Mwal

Mwal

mwal
    Participant
    Rosemount,MN

We fish spring lake all the time so we are familiar with stump fields and sand bars. just hope to not find mud flats. I hate reenacting scenes from the African Queen.

Mwal

phigs
    Participant
    Twin Cities, MN

Quote:

We fish spring lake all the time so we are familiar with stump fields and sand bars. just hope to not find mud flats. I hate reenacting scenes from the African Queen.

Mwal

i’m just saying to take it easy, because in the summer, there is one path to take on that stretch of the river, and one path only. or you will end up with a busted up motor or on a sandbar.

once you get past the last of the sandbars, you will be fine to run up into clear lake.

if you try to get up into upper clear, the channel may be too low right now. sometimes that will drop down to less then a foot of water at the entrance, and it is bottomless mud.

mwal
    Participant
    Rosemount,MN

Phigs,

Thanks for the advice we will keep the motor on shallow draft and plan to go at trolling speed or less. We also have spare props in boat and oars. ANd push poles

Mwal

chris-tuckner
    Participant
    Hastings/Isle MN

That’s why I mentioned trolling the Raps. As PHIGS mentioned, once you get past the sand humps, trolling to the “Fork” can be very productive in August. Your push poles may come in handy in Clear, but I think the water is pretty good right now. It is higher than most Augusts.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

It is higher than most Augusts.

August 16th @ 8 am

Now 679.56 ft 27,800 flow
    ’10 677.94 ft 17,600
    ’09 675.30 ft 4,400
    ’08 675.11 ft 4,400

mwal
    Participant
    Rosemount,MN

Went on my adventure on the 19th. Fishing was tough 1 keeper walleye released small sauger and a small northern. Also got a 8 to 10 lb channel. The shallow part of Vermilion was 4 ft. Was able to go at full power all the way into upper clear. It was still flooded into the brush. Nice day to be out just poor fishing. We used jigs and crawlers crank baits red eye wigglers daredevils , spinner baits. and stink bait. Tons of bait fish everywhere

Mwal

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.