Seat Belts

• grumpy
    Iowa, Clinton

would anyone tow their boat without hooking up the strap from the trailer winch?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Good on Grumpy!

Not to change the subject but back in the ’70 when they (MN)repealed the short lived helmet law, Bell (helmet manufacturer) found that a helmet won’t help a cyclist at speeds over 30 mph. …unlike seat belts.

Remember, Bell was in the business to sell helmets.

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

One of the major benefits to seat belts (besides your own life) is that they keep you behind the wheel even in minor accidents. When your car starts to skid, and you slide to the passenger side you cannot control the vehicle anymore.

I don’t know if any of you have talked with someone who has killed another person because of a vehicle accident that they could have prevented. Very sobering and sad. If this does not change the way you view seat belts nothing will.

I will also say I am against almost every government intervention. A free country should be free, and if people used their brains we would not be having this conversation, but we all know stupid people will do stupid things. Some people are even Packers fans

walleyebuster5
    Central MN

PHIGGS> I find it odd that I feel sorry for your way of thinking. But I am.

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

Quote:

Not to change the subject but back in the ’70 when they (MN)repealed the short lived helmet law, Bell (helmet manufacturer) found that a helmet won’t help a cyclist at speeds over 30 mph. …unlike seat belts.

But helmets will save lives…..

Of the donors that get their organs

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Up until you wrote Packer Fans, I thought you were talking to me.

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

Quote:

Up until you wrote Packer Fans, I thought you were talking to me.

A little levity on a Friday never hurt anyone. I am a little punch drunk from responding to 3 ambulance calls last night and only getting 2.5 hours of sleep

millerman
    Red Wing, MN

I’m a firm believer in seat belts and air bags! I walked away with hardly a scratch. They do save lives and injury!

Whiskerkev
    Madison

You can be the best driver in the world and someone else can run a light and kill you dead in seconds. I see people run lights every day here in Madison just to save 30 seconds of time.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

I’m a firm believer in seat belts and air bags! I walked away with hardly a scratch. They do save lives and injury!

Well with airbags like these..

ggoody
    Mpls MN

Quote:

I actually have to agree with PHIGs for once.

Quote:

i wear mine, and it is better for people to do it. but, me not wearing my seatbelt does not affect other drivers whatsoever, and therefore should not be policed like that.

It absolutely affects other drivers. If your not buckled up it can and does affect the control you have over your vehicle…. PERIOD!. Among other scenario’s loosing traction on Ice or going into a ditch you aren’t doing me and my family any good trying to steer or mtake invasive action if your dislodged from the drivers seat.

danno
    Central MN

Just another nanny-state law.

If you put your belt on then good for you. I’ll make my own decisions, good and bad, and live or die with them.

Stay out of my life.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

If you put your belt on then good for you. I’ll make my own decisions, good and bad, and live or die with them.

Stay out of my life.

If you are in an accident, then please don’t make an insurance claim since you are lobbying for the greatest amount of damage. We got a deal? I’d be all for that.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

If you are in an accident, then please don’t make an insurance claim since you are lobbying for the greatest amount of damage. We got a deal? I’d be all for that.

X2

danno
    Central MN

Quote:

Quote:

Stay out of my life.

Fine. You never eat red meat, cheese, eggs, or any other food that is detrimental to your health and we have a deal because I don’t want to pay for when your bad eating habits catch up with you later down the line.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

But not wearing seat belts has been documented to cause cancer in Calif laboratory rats.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Stay out of my life.

Fine. You never eat red meat, cheese, eggs, or any other food that is detrimental to you health and we have a deal because I don’t want to pay for when your bad eating habits catch up with you later down the line.

Sounds like your lobbying for laws on what you can eat….??? Damn Ultra Liberals… I didn’t think it was possible to sound so stupid when typing.. so re-read what you typed… Its possible…

desperado

There ought to be a law against toys in Happy Meals

danno
    Central MN

Quote:

Sounds like your lobbying for laws on what you can eat….??? Damn Ultra Liberals… I didn’t think it was possible to sound so stupid when typing.. so re-read what you typed… Its possible…

Maybe you need to re-read it again since it clearly went right over your head…twice. But, I’ve noticed that also isn’t too hard to achieve. Next time I’ll dumb it down so you can comprehend it. Oops, hope that last three-syllable word didn’t trip you up too much.

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

I think we have two themes going here, one is, does wearing seat belts help and whether the govt should mandate wearing one.

No doubt the belts work.

As far as the govt making it a law, nope.
    Other than when has the govt actually done anything right, I’d have them make sure people knew how to drive, and kept drunks off the road, seat belts would become a none issues and save us far, far, more money than the medical bills unbelted people people would create.

Seatbelt laws are another political feel good law that was easy to enact and really don’t do squat about the bigger problems on our roadways.
    Much like the speed kills BS they preached to us all this time.

Al

big_g
    Isle, MN

Your oozing intelligence… I see where you and your 9,999 other buddies are coming from now

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Quote:

….save us far, far, more money than the medical bills unbelted people people would create.

Have any real data to back that up? I’d be interesting in reading more on that topic.

-J.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Allen are you saying speed doesn’t kill…it’s the stop that does?

This is why I agreed with poor beat up Phigs.

Shouldn’t need a law…but there are some that need to be walked through life.

Desperato, leave my happy meals out of this!

big_g
    Isle, MN

I will get out of this thread now and say this…. I wear my seatbelt because it might actually save my life. I won’t not wear it because “the man says I have to” dead men rarely argue their point for not wearing one, after the crash…

Mocha
    Park Rapids

Quote:

But not wearing seat belts has been documented to cause cancer in Calif laboratory rats.

Now that was funny! Needed that on a Friday!!

Whiskerkev
    Madison

This string gets crazier by the minute. I used to drive around unbelted all the time. When they passed the law here I started to buckle up. Now I feel naked if I’m not wearing it. I know fatalities on the highways has gone down here drastically since the laws were enacted. I’d bet your vehicle owners manual tells you to buckle up. It probably tells you to change your oil too. Maybe some nay sayers on here should ride around with AMWatson for a few days. I once got ticketed at ft Knox for doing 17 in a 15. Go ahead and be unsafe and a law breaker. I hope it never catches up with you.

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Quote:

Quote:

….save us far, far, more money than the medical bills unbelted people people would create.

Have any real data to back that up? I’d be interesting in reading more on that topic.

-J.

Shouldn’t take a rocket scientist to understand that with far less mistakes on the road there would be less money spent on medical.
    Maybe in your case it does?

BK I run over you with my truck at 10mph there’s a good chance of killing you, it’s not the speed, it the mistakes on the road that cause the collisions.

Do you have a better chance of more damage at higher speeds, sure, but speed itself does not kill.

Al

Chris
    Rochester, MN

I never used to wear my seatbelt until my sister was killed in a head-on collision 7/27/2003. Now it is the first thing I do once I close my car door. Each time every time. My family has gone through enough pain losing one person… It may not save me in a head-on crash but I have a better chance in other types of collisions.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

As far as the govt making it a law, nope.
    Other than when has the govt actually done anything right, I’d have them make sure people knew how to drive, and kept drunks off the road, seat belts would become a none issues and save us far, far, more money than the medical bills unbelted people people would create.

Seatbelt laws are another political feel good law that was easy to enact and really don’t do squat about the bigger problems on our roadways.
    Much like the speed kills BS they preached to us all this time.

Al

They call them accidents for a reason.

And for all the reasons you give Al, seatbelts better protect people from people who don’t know how to drive and drunks.

The deal is if not wearing a seatbelt only affected the people doing it, I would be upset with the law, like I was when it first was enacted. If it only affected those not wearing them I would be all for natural selection in the gene pool.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I’m on the fence on this one. I wear mine 99% of the time. Yes not wesring a seat belt cost all tax payers money – But then again so does overeating, smoking, drinking, ect. Are are all of you who are defending the Government on the seat belt law also going to defend them if they pass laws against Cig’s and Beer????????/

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 105 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.