Walleyes

• inge66
    Participant

Does anyone have any tricks for consistantly catching walleyes on Clearwater. I have fished this lake a fair amount over the past several years and have never seemed to crack this lake. I can pick up an eye hear of there but nothing consistant.

Any clues or help would be greatly appreciated.

I will be out there at 0600 Sunday am trying to find a few before all the boats show up.

Anyone been out there lately??

fishthumper
    Participant
    Sartell, MN.

I know I catch a fair amount of them while Dropshotting bass on the deep Milfoil edges. I’d think a Slip bobber and leech on these same spots would work well. Like alot of metro lakes the walleye’s on Clearwater may live in or closer to the weeds than most true walleye fishermen are use to.

drew-evans
    Participant
    rochester MN

Quote:

I know I catch a fair amount of them while Dropshotting bass on the deep Milfoil edges. I’d think a Slip bobber and leech on these same spots would work well. Like alot of metro lakes the walleye’s on Clearwater may live in or closer to the weeds than most true walleye fishermen are use to.

X2

and i will add two other techniques, if you are going to rig/lindy them use long light weight mono leaders up to 10-12 ft long. if lead core trolling use light weight mono leaders up to 30ft.

rangerski
    Participant
    North Metro

Get there in the dark, Cork until sunrise then rig:-)

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Jig/minnow is good, and rigging with minnows is also fun.

inge66
    Participant

Thanks for the replys. I will give things a shot. Gonna pre fish tomorrow am for fishing league tues night. Friends were out lastnight and got 4 17-18″ pulling plugs and lindy rigging.

inge66
    Participant

Update, Sunday prefish was not very good I did catch a 22.5″ eye but no others. Had a few short bites but were missed. Lindy rigging 10′ snell and leech.

Forward to Tues night. Hot/humid. Blasted off went to spot 1 to get out pike and bass. Took 2 hours to get 6 bass and 3 legal pike in the boat. Biggest bass was 18.5″ and the smallest was 16.5 so they were all very nice. Pike were not huge but counted for league. Then off to Walley spots 1,2,3,4 and five. Had 50 minutes to put a 14″ eye in the boat. Spots 1-4 nothing.. marked a few fish. Panic mode set in and then to spot 5. First pass 1 short eye 10″. Second pass another 10″. Out of time. O well..

Out of the 13 boats only 3 legal eyes brought in. So overall it was a pretty good night.

Thanks again for the tips.

derek_johnston
    Participant
    On the water- Minnesota

Fish the inside weedline at night. Troll cranks.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.