Well….

• Sartell Eye Guy
    Participant
    Sartell, MN

It’s about that time to start asking if the ice is starting to pull away from the rocks……Little over a month away from opener!!!!

walleyeben
    Participant
    Albertville,MN

Man time is flying this year! Your givin me anxiety Last year there was still a burg on Traverse just a week before opener! Cant wait, here is a few from last year, our best year so far out there… these 2 came barely 40 minutes apart 28.5 and 29 and who says eyes wont hit cranks trolled at 3.5mph less than a week after ice out Just pissed the camera was dead!

my4x4yj
    Participant
    Litchfield, Meeker Cnty, MN

Are there big differences between the two lakes? I’ve been to Big Stone, lots of gravel, white bass, mud, white bass, water running in off bank, walleye and white bass. Lots of people, Is Travers quieter and does it have the bass, they’re fun when things are slow but I like walleye. I have heard horror stories about rocks on Traverse and do you stay in Ortonville or somewhere else or drive out for the day?

walleyebuster5
    Participant
    Central MN

Cant wait to get out there!

Sartell Eye Guy
    Participant
    Sartell, MN

I read that there is open water more than a mile north of the Big Stone landing today. Rotten ice to the north. By this weekend it should be close, by mid next week it should be ice free. Going to make for a strange opener this year, the fish will probably be scattered all over the place (except the north muck).

I can’t wait either Dale, even with hitting P4 now and again, it isn’t truely “go” time until my boat hits Big Stone.

Take care, Adam.

walleyebuster5
    Participant
    Central MN

Allright!

So do you think with the ice off early that the fishing will be better if the weather stays stable? We’ve had some rotten years in the past (weather wise) and I’m looking forward to 55 n sunny,,,,and walters jumpin’ in the boat!

3 years ago we fished the second weekend and got up there friday night.. I got there right at dusk and caught my limit in about 10 minutes pulling cranks off the dock,,all the while the other guys were unloading stuff from their trucks. I was like ,hey, I can do that later!

Sartell Eye Guy
    Participant
    Sartell, MN

Water temp is right around 60 as of yesterday. Going to be a goofy opener. Cranks right down the gut for me on Saturday. See you out there Dale.

walleyebuster5
    Participant
    Central MN

Sounds good! we’ll make the best of this weekend!!

johnksully
    Participant
    Lakeville, MN

Awfull quiet around here with the opener tomorrow…

walleyebuster5
    Participant
    Central MN

Another classic Bigstone opener. Bad weather. 15 degree drop in high temps and not many fish. Our group of 7 guys managed 3 walleyes on saturday. At least we got something I guess. ANyone else out there see or get any fish?

huntfishhastings
    Participant
    Hastings, MN

Im thinking its quiet for a reason I hope the weather is better than what the weather man is saying for this weekend. Sully, Im hoping to have a pic like my avatar this weekend except the boat in the backround is going to be an alumacraft!! Thursday cant come fast enough!

tonyplut
    Participant
    Burnsville/Mille Lacs

Was the water clear this weekend or was there the green algae floating around? Normal water level or a bit high?

walleyebuster5
    Participant
    Central MN

Water levels were almost exactly like they have been in years past. The water was not clear by any means but nothing floating on top and not much to speak on the bottom either. I remember years when there was muck and crud on your sinker or rap all the time but this year wasn’t that way at all. The water WAS more brown than I remember in past years though.

I’m sure tomorrow would be the day to be out there,, and if this next storm holds off this weekend should be pretty good!

MFO
    Participant
    Minneapolis, MN

It was another typical opener for sure. Got out there thursday night and watched the neighbor pound the white bass. Needless to say the cabin work got put on hold so some fishing could be done. Water temps were low 60’s. Of course come midnight Friday the wind and rain killed our plans to throw out the bobbers while hanging around the fire. In between rain we did manage to catch a few walleyes off the dock on saturday. Most hit shallow running cranks. The walleyes we cleaned were full of fat. Many also had small perch in them. The water is brown from the high water levels earlier as well as the wind. I think that will help the bite throughout the day. Water levels are normal. The weeds were starting to come up pretty good around the islands. No slime, but we did have a fair amount of loose debris, but the wind was blowing into our shoreline. Good luck to those fishing the Border Walleye event on saturday. There ought to be some good fishing!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.