Bass Lake (St Croix County)

• YoZuri
    Participant

fished it on 5/27/02

what a nice piece of water!

where are the fish in it? Also, it almost looked like there was a full fledged algae bloom going on. visibility was very poor.

any suggestions?

Anonymous

Cover and vegetation are out of control in that lake. The water is usually spring water clear so I don’t know what to say about the bloom look………..

I always head to the south end of the lake and start working along weedlines, skimming over them with weedless plastics or inline spinners (Mepps, Rooster Tails……..). The fish are in there and if they like what you have they’ll ambush the heck out of it! I had 7 pike in 35 minutes out there last spring! That was fun and it made me wish I would’ve actually been there to fish instead of tinkering with someone elses boat! Oh well, we accomplished our mission and still had some time before the “No Wake” time arrived.

Hope this limited info helps!

Pax
    Participant
    Woodville, WI

You are talking about the Bass lake closer to Hudson I’m assuming. There is another closer to Somerset. It has always been clear as glass so I don’t know what the hell is going on. Caught a huge stringer of 8 – 12 inch bluegills in deep (30 – 40 ft) water right on the bottom not so long ago. The south end is fun but the north end is where the bigger bass lie I think. That whole bay is 5 – 8 feet and I’ve had 2 over 22 inches in my boat from that end. You should’ve fished it a few years back when the water was about 10 feet(???) higher and the whole thing was slow-no-wake. We were fishing in people’s boat houses and around their decks – It was unbelievable. Adios———————————–Pax

Anonymous

Pax, where is the Bass Lake closer to Hudson? The only one I’m aware of is just east of Cty. Rd. I about 3 miles south of Somerset…………..crystal clear water by all my recallections as well.

I think the Bass Lake story is a sad one………….they have to mow through the milfoil to keep the lake accessible! Docks still sit…………….5-6′ above the water surface…………..homes and cottages abandoned………..it’s just sad out there. I still see plenty of fishing pressure out there but I everytime I go, it’s just getting more and more choked out from all the milfoil. If it was possible to do, they should gather up all the fish, drain that thing in the fall, and freeze out all the milfoil…………..kill it off and then replenish the lake after refill and have NO FISHING for 5 years to re-establish the ecosystem.

The recreational people wouldn’t be out too long but I’m sure they’d still whine a bit.

Don’t know how they’d pull off my idea but it’s the only way to control that milfoil…………………it’s been done before, just not on Bass Lake.

Pax
    Participant
    Woodville, WI

We’re both on the same page Stillakid. There is another bass lake NW of Somerset that is smaller and is CRYSTAL clear. Acroos the road is another pine lake as well. I’m not a fan of the milfoil either but it sure seems to help the bass populations. That [censored] sure is thick in some spots. Even my mossboss whines about trying to make it through there sometimes. Has anyone else noticed how warm the water temps have gotten in the last week??? Hint – – – – – – some of the smaller lakes have the bluegills fanning the beds already. ————————Pax

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.