Lake Altoona

• Anonymous

I hope everyone had a productive opener. (or at least an enjoyable one) Mine sure was. I went in my lawn. Had to plant a new lawn at my house, so it was not as fun as yours I am sure. Although I am going to go out after work next week ( May 20-24) A couple of the guys are going to go on Lake Altoona and none of us have really fished it before. It is the closest one to us, but we all know no the best. We just want to go out and catch a couple and have a couple. Does anyone have any advice for us? What fish might be most active this time of year on Altoona, where we might want to try, what bait or lures might be most productive, etc?? I am used to fishing the Mighty Mississip and have never fished Lake Altoona before. Any information that you might have will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time and good luck on your next venture.

Anonymous

I’ll see what kind of info I can dig up for you. I know some folks that regularly fish it. I would think the upper end would be good for Walleye’s and perch and there are some nice crappies in there. I would try and stay shallow and drift maybe with a slip bobber. I’ll do some checking. Steve

Anonymous

Thanks leineman! I knew you would come through for me. Looking for anything about crappies or walleyes. I would think those would be the most active right now.

Anonymous

I spoke to someone yesterday that fishes it regularly and they haven’t been doing well at all. He fishes with someone that has lived on the lake for guite a few years and knows it well. One thing I would suggest is trying to find a lake map. I’m pretty sure hot spots don’t have one but I think the DNR out of the Eau Claire office could set you up with a map. I do know they were dredging the upper end where the river channel enters the lake and was told if there done that the nice walleye’s will be holding along the depth change or wall of the dredged channel. As far as the crappies hit the usual spots (cribs) and maybe the shallow end where the river enters should be good for perch. What evenings you going out? I’ll talk to some more friends and see what else I can learn. I may be out there some next week also. Steve

Anonymous

We will be going out on Wed. or Thurs. I have a book of the lakes around here but there isnt a lot of detail on lthem. I will also be going out Sunday with my wife to kind of scout around a little bit. I will try to graph some fish and hopefully find the cribs. I have no idea where they are. I will check out the map again and see if I can figure it out.

Anonymous

Hey I’ll check that book out at fleet farm tonight and maybe I can pick out spots so I can tell you where some of the cribs are. Check back in later like about 9:00 or so and I’ll see if I can come close for you also if you search Chippewa Valley Fishing on FTR you should come up with link to check out. You may have to go back a few months but if you get there click lake maps and it is listed. Steve

Anonymous

No map books for this area at Fleet,only North Western section left. Were you able to get to the link on Chippewa Valley. I would think you could stop by the bait store on Birch St. and maybe they could point out some of the crib areas on your map. I’ll send you a PM also.

Anonymous

Fishing Lake Altoona right now is pretty good.Some eater walleyes are comming from the south side and west end of the lake.Jigs work well,as do cranks trolled slow.Crappies have been active at times on the east end,especially in the bay.Perch are still in the main lake area,and seem to love small spinners.Don’t be afraid to sneak up into the river aways as there is always some nice bonus fish of all types up there!Living 4 miles from the launch is pretty nice sometimes.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.