Here we go again…………..HELP?

• Anonymous

Looks like I’m going to be on some “new to me” waters again this year for the opener and I’m feeling inquisitive regarding overall walleye and crappie behavior for this time of year when the weather stays on the cool side. I’m guessing it depends on the lake (temp, structure) but ant tips would be greatly appreciated.

Anonymous

Pup,

I responded to you post on the FTR post.

Anonymous

Hey Stillakid where are you going? Just wondering if it’s somewhere where I may have been in the past. I know some people that are hiting rivers now for perch and are really nailing some walleye’s. They are not targeting them but never the less they are hitting small jigs and piece of crawler or jig and small minnnows. Also look for them where the river enters the lake especially if this area is where the water will be warmer. This is for the eye’s and perch.I haven’t heard much on crappies but a friend was going out tonight on Island or Popple and I can fill you in tomorrow if he had success and what worked for them. Steve

Anonymous

Stillakid2:

It would help if you could let us know what bodies of water that you are going to hit. We might be able to help. Also, it seems as though with everybody hitting ftr, we have all this WI lake info to ourselves. Try finding smaller, shallower lakes. As leinieman stated an inflow of water helps as well. Get on the north ends of these bodies of water and when all this fails have a leiny. Actually when all else fails try the other end of the lake!!! Hope that gives you a start and repost and see if we can help you with a particular body of water.

mbenson

Pax
    Participant
    Woodville, WI

Hey I replied on the FTR forum too. Wondering where you’re going as well. Pax

Anonymous

Fireside, Island, McCann, Sand………….but I might end up on Long and Amacoy too…………..those I know but this fishing with dad thing, great as it is…………never gets truly decided until we wake up and he says, “What do think about ………………?” I know we’ll be in that area. I’ve been on Sand and Fireside but without a map or electronics so the waters are still “unknown” to me. I’d like to talk him into getting onto the Chippewa north of Flater’s if you happen to have any advice for walleyes in that section. I’ve only tossed for muskies up that way.

Leinieman………….lmk what you can about Island!!!!

Thanks!!

Anonymous

Island lake would be a good choice. I think it may be quite busy as most lakes will be. Do you have a lake map? There are some cribs in the lake and that may be a starting place. Depending on which way the wind is blowing one of my favorite ways to fish it is drifting. I really like fuzzy grubs and minnows. If its just a breeze not much chop try drifting with a slip bobber on one rod set about 5 to 7 feet deep with just a small fathead. This will usually find a crappie and if it does throw a bouy and don’t drift to far before making another swing through the area. There are some real nice crappies and walleye’s in there. Keep a fuzzy grub and minnow within inches of the bottom and hopefully you can pick up some walleyes.I would concentrate from pitching shallow and staying in the twelve foot depths early and move out deeper as the day goes. Watch the wind for the next couple of days and hit the windward side of whichever lake you go to if it’s steady from one direction for a couple of days.Hopefully you find a few that will

cooperate. Good luck wherever you go. Steve

Anonymous

Stillakid:

Sounds like your in the Birchwood area or near Rice Lake? Most of my fishing in that area is on the Nelson Flowage north of Hayward and the Namekagon east of Cable. I also have a friend who is in between Grindstone and Lac Court Oreilles. Because I know you might have some experience trolling from ftr, I believe all of these lake are trollable. Even though they are bigger, you might be able to develop a pattern that will work. I am a big fan of fishing after dark. Try to figure out what kind of passes you can make, then try ’em at dark. Bet you’ll get into them.

Is that the Long Lake east of Haugen? I know its supposed to a hard one to fish, but again, check on the trolling on this one, if you can’t troll, stay shallow and find some weeds in the 5′ – 15′ range. Make sure you check which lakes you can troll first before you try my suggestions, and Good Luck!!!

mbenson

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.