Opener picks?

• Anonymous

Just wondering what a few of us might think the hot WI lake for the May 4th inland water opener is? Do you head way north, stay local, have a traditional place, or a new one you’d like to try?

Anonymous

Even though I’m a MN guy I’m going to fish a small west-central DNR stocked trout pond with my 4 year old son and some WI relatives. He has been talking all winter about fishing open water.

Pax
    Woodville, WI

Probably going to Horseshoe by Turtle Lake. Not 100% but pretty close to it. ——–Pax

Anonymous

Pax,

I’m not familiar with that water? What kind of water is it and how is it in terms of varying game fish success?

Pax
    Woodville, WI

It’s a pinch over 300 acres with depths of up to 50? feet. Has a little bit of everything as far as structure. It’s got a sunken island, numerous shallow bays, and access to another decent sized pond. As far as fish it has everything. Muskies are almost non-existant as well as the walleyes. Awesome bass, northerns, and panfish though. It’s about 3 miles long and the widest portion is about 1000 yards (guess). Pretty busy on the opener and when the water warms up it’s got a lot of recrational traffic, but what bigger lakes don’t. Sorry it took so long to get back to you – been screwing around for a few too many days—–Pax

Anonymous

Now that you describe it, I think I’ve looked at a lake map for it…………sounds cool! Anyway, just to keep a little activity running here, is anyone thinking of hitting Potato or Fireside………….McCann, Island…………..Long or other Rusk Co. water? I still don’t know what to do. Croix opens the same weekend this year………….hmmmmm……………..decisions, decisions!

Anonymous

Don’t have any plans as of yet. Just starting to think about it now. I got turkey season coming up the second season. I figure I have a lot of time to figure out opener. Might stay with the Chippewa or Red Ceder River. They are usually very quite on the opener and a lot of fish can be caught. Also close to home. Steve

Anonymous

Not sure the clarity of all the lakes you are mentioning but any of them that are stained should be a better bet esp for walleyes. I know the Chippewa flowage and a few other flowages are usually very good on opener. Me, steelheads in my blood for opening weekend. Then, smallmouths most every day.

Chris Beeksma

YoZuri

leinieman,

how’s thje Red Cedar? I drive over it every time I’m on my way to visit my mom. Looks like a pretty decent stretch of water. Is there anywhere to rent canoes around there? Doesn’t look big enough for my boat.

Anonymous

Good to here from you Yo-Zuri.What part of it do you drive over. I take my trophy 170 up it from Menomin lake. Fish smaller boats below the dam downstream. It’s a good one for floating with a small flat bottom or canoe and it is also open year round from dam on Menomin downriver to the Chippewa. This is the area I usually fish but I have friends that float further north and other friends that wade. Red Ceder is pretty good fishing for just about every kind of fish. I think there all in there. I even saw a pic. in local paper last summer of a 52 inch musky from the Red Ceder. Anyway let me know where about you are talking about and I’ll be able to fill you in a little better. What kind of rig do you have. Steve

YoZuri

leiniedude,

I’ve got a 17 ft Crestliner (fishawk) with a 90 horse on it.

Damn, I love fishing smaller rivers. How far down the river can you go past the lake. Interstate bridge area?

Anonymous

Yo whats Up. I take it you mean the hwy 94 bridge. The Red Ceder runs between Lake Tainter and Lake Menomin where you see it there. Upstream and your headed for Tainter and downriver your headed to Lake Menomin. From under the 94 bridge and downstream is Lake Menomin. Other than the lake or this section of the river between the lakes I would say your rig is to large. You can fish all the way from from the dam below Menomin to the Chippewa River. Several spots to park downstream and float downriver to vehicle. You will want either a flatbottom or canoe. I believe the Red Ceder Outfitters rent canoes 235-3866 . A nice way to check out this section of river is on bike. There is a state bike trai that runs from Menomonie all the way to Eau Claire. You can ride along the Red Ceder and it even takes you across the Chippewa River below Dunnville. Give me a shout and I would be glad to show you around.Your also welcome to take my 12 ft flatbottom only a small leak. LOL I’ll have to see about having it welded. Where do you live (cities)? Steve

YoZuri

I live over in Hudson about 40? miles from the the bridge that we’re talkin about. I’d like to come over and canoe that sometime. or take your 12’flatbottom. I buy the Leinies and food you show me where and maybe we can get on some fish!!! I’d like to do it after Mem. day. Like a chance at Mr. Muskie.

Anonymous

Sounds like a plan. Let use the flat not a canoe. Canoe doesn’t hold enough Leinies. LOL If you want give me a shout I also post on the ftr site and post on both the Red Ceder and the Chippewa. Remember that both of the rivers are open now for walleye’s. I’ll try and hit the Chippewa this weekend for a temp reading and an hour or two of fishing. Last time out lost a fish that wanted all the 8 pound line on my reel, About 175 yards of it and he would have had it also but I kept tightening drag untill he broke off. Fishing from shore and only one rod with me and I didn’t want to leave yet. It was very large but I don’t know what kind. Carp,Cat, Muskie,Sturgeon one of these I would guess. Just shout if you change your mind and want to get out for a tour before Mem day. Steve

YoZuri

leinieman,

that sounds great. I’m SteveO on the FTR board. don’t know why I changed my name. This cold snap sucks, but hopefully things will warm up and we can hang a few ‘eyes. I’m open most weekends as my wife sells real estate. That fish you lost sounds pretty exciting.

That’s pretty country you live in over there. I fish the Flambeau River 3 or 4 times a year out of the Fifield/Park Falls area. Never know what’s tugging on your line! I would definitley like to get out before the Memorial day wekend. PM me on this or the FTR board when the water warms up a little.

Thanks and looking forward to wetting a line with you. Always like to gain knowledge on smaller rivers.

Anonymous

No sweat, Keep an eye on the small river section of FTR. I’ll throw a post up this weekend on temps of the rivers and how I do . I think I have to work one day this weekend but that still leaves one that I can squeek a few hours out of for a

quick run to the river. I’m only about 10 min to the Red Ceder and maybe 15 to the Chippewa depending on where I go. I sure am looking forward to a little warmer weather and throwing the small boat in the river. The walleye’s should be starting soon. Steve

Anonymous

Yo-zuri:

Having gone to school at Stout in the Menomonie area, I can relate to all the Red Cedar stories that you and leineman were talking about. I used to work at Jake’s Supper Club on Lake Tainter and knew the lake reasonably well by the time I left. We also used to fish Menomin and the Red Cedar below the dam all the way to the Chippewa.

As long as you are so close to the Fifield area, my pick for an opener spot would be the Pike – Round Lake Chain just to the east of Fifield. It is a dark water lake. Not a lot of really big fish, but a lot of good eaters come from the chain. I have two friends that fish a May tourney there and do real well. It is only 15 miles east of Fifield. Good luck!!!

mbenson

Anonymous

What is a good lake for opener. I just upgraded from a small flat to a 1675 Explorer SS. I been pondering the thought of doing the Wi. opener like i used to do in Mn. way back when I called it home(born in St. Paul) and Was wondering if anybody had some tips. I would LOVE to catch some perch along with other pan fish but a walleye or two (just to see what they look like out of a lake again lol ) would be nice.

ec

it should say strange dude under my name not stranger

Anonymous

EC

What area are you thinking……………N,NW,NE, Central, SW, S, SE, E, W??? I realize, good fishing is worth traveliing to but an area of interest might help me offer some suggestions to you.

Before you answer, if traveling is okay and your boat is “big water capable”, Winnebago’s got it all! There are closer waters with plenty of promise, but some input on your location preferences is necessary. LMK!

Anonymous

ecnook, Here’s something for you to think about. If your planning a short trip weekend try and pick out a spot that has good potential on a smaller lake. Easier to get a handle on it and wind won’t be a problem. Have it close enough for a short drive to larger water if you want to fish big water. Stay on western side of lake that’s where it seems like the wind is usually always comming from. What area you coming from. Oh yea you don’t have to wait for opener for perch and panfish and if you only want to see a lake walleye you’ll probably catch one or two perch fishing. Steve

Anonymous

I’m not looking on traveling to the ends of the earth but a 4 hour trip isn’t out of the question. The thing i’m looking for is pearch and walleye….and maybe even some of those gators leinieman was talking about on Petenwell flowage.

If there are any other web sites and/or places i can get info for this type of place at the time i want to be there(opener) this would be very helpfull.

This site has helped me alot in the past and I’m sure there are people who can help me here too.

Thanks in advance…

ec

Anonymous

Hey ecnook. Where about do you live? I may be able to point you in some direction If I have an idea. Oh yea that was Pax talking about the gators in Petenwell. I know it’s good for walleye’s but I don’t know about perch. Steve

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.