A day fishing at Fountain Lake…….

• iowa roger
    North central Iowa

My wife and I spent the day bank fishing near the bridge there, seems that this is a nice lake to just enjoy a quiet day’s fishing.
    We got several bass, a couple of nice ones, plus some small ones we put back.
    Bluegills were biting too, also got a nice northern.
    It was a very enjoyable day there.
    Pickeral Lake was really loaded with waterfowl, I can see that to fish there a boat is needed.
    I didn’t see anyone fishing in it.
    All in all we had a very enjoyable day. Thanks again for the info about this nice lake.

Roger

minnesota_tom
    Grand Meadow, MN

I missed it on the news recently but I think Albert Lea is getting funded or has a plan to go ahead with their dredging process over there. Anyone happen to see it or know for sure?

carroll58
    Twin Cities, USA

Quote:

I missed it on the news recently but I think Albert Lea is getting funded or has a plan to go ahead with their dredging process over there. Anyone happen to see it or know for sure?

The “Shell Rock River Watershed Board” went ahead and bought a used Dredge from an Auction at Richie Bros. in Owatonna a week ago. They are in the process of obtaining Permits, Funding and Engineering the whole Dredging plan.
    link to A.L.Trib “Dredge on Display at City Park”

link to PDF on Watershed Dredging Project proposal

link to homepage of Sheel Rock River Watershed District

They have a ton of work that includes Fund Raising to be done, when you consider they need $12-$18 Million. With the economy in the tank, it may be a few years but hopefully purchasing the Dredge will signal to the “Powers that Be” that they are serious and maybe more leverage in obtaining funds to move ahead.

I’ve written letters on this in the past, but I believe to do this right and make it last they need to correct some of the wrong they created the first time they dredged the lakes in the late 50’s, early 60’s. They filled in a large “WETLAND COMPLEX” creating an area now known as “Shoff Park”, along with a low Farm Field. These areas should be used to re-create some of the original Wetlands that filtered runoff and silt prior to reaching Dane Bay on the S.W. Corner of Fountain Lake. Re-Meander the Creek from the Straight Channels into something more natural adding some DEEP (15’-30’) Pools to let silt settle out. The Mouth area of Shoff Creek entering Dane Bay is now an Island where it had been 4’-6’ deep in the early 70’s when I grew up & constantly fished near there.

IMHO, without replacing the Wetland and fixing the mouth Area of Dane Bay first, they will have the same problem occurring again in another 30-40 years.

I wish them well and I will support their plan, urging my State Senator & Representative to support this plan, as long as I see they fix the wrongs of the past.

carroll58
    Twin Cities, USA

Quote:

My wife and I spent the day bank fishing near the bridge there, seems that this is a nice lake to just enjoy a quiet day’s fishing.
    We got several bass, a couple of nice ones, plus some small ones we put back.
    Bluegills were biting too, also got a nice northern.
    It was a very enjoyable day there.
    Pickeral Lake was really loaded with waterfowl, I can see that to fish there a boat is needed.
    I didn’t see anyone fishing in it.
    All in all we had a very enjoyable day. Thanks again for the info about this nice lake.

Roger

Congrats on a fun & successful day.

jerad
    Otranto, IA/Hager City, WI

Carroll,
    We have done a ton of projects in the upper reaches of the watershed. Miles and miles of buffer strips have been installed on the drainage ditches. Stream bank projects have been completed above the lake to help stabilize banks, anchor sediment, and re-connect flood plains. Water retention areas as well as wetland creation will help hold some of the water back from flushing down the ditches. Hundreds of rock inlets have been installed on open tile intakes to help filter out sediment and contaminants. Smaller satellite basins have been isolated from Fountain lake via electric fish barriers and common carp have been eradicated, greatly improving water quality in all the lakes. The community of Albert lea has embraced water retention via rain gardens and rain barrels.

This is a very exciting time for the SRRWD. We were recently recommended to receive $1.1 million from the MN legislature thru the Lessard Sams Outdoor Heritage Council for a huge project on Albert lea lake which includes a new water controller structure and electric fish barrier, this was only made possible thru a large land accusation that took place last year.

The dredge purchase is the next step for a community that greatly values its resources and had the foresight to create a watershed district and establish a local option sales tax. It is crazy but the money’s leveraged with the sales tax money is like 4-1.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.