Sunday night Success, Where was everyone?

• David Anderson
    Participant
    Dayton, MN

Headed up to the pond assuming a 5-7 mph wind from the NW. Boy was that wrong. Launching out of Mac’s we headed for the perch hole. Caught a ton of small ones, maybe another week. At 5:00 we fought the 3 footers to my usual honey hole. Casting the top for 2 hours produced 1 small walleye. Getting tired of the rolling we started trolling the Rouges. In 90 minutes we landed 14 walleyes, 8 in the box, including 5 over 19.5″ and this 27.5 hog that was the fattest I have seen in years. We left at 9:00 and was catching them right up to the time we departed. All were caught in the 7 to 10 foot range. 2 observations: 1, there was no one on the lake. We were the only boat on my spot all night and normally there are at least 2 or 3. No one on Hennepin, only a few on Big Point, Hawksbill was vacant, Doe Island was a ghost town. 2, every fish I cleaned had at least 2 minnows in it’s stomach including the one posted, which was about 4 inches. This certainly could explain my rater lackluster September!

hedder
    Participant
    1 hour from Isle, MN

Hey Dave!

Nice fish! we (my 11 yr old son and i) were on the NW corner of the lake with 4 other boats. nothing was going on up there–Nothing!

Where exactly is the “Rouges”?

fish_any_time
    Participant
    Champlin, MN

Quote:

Where exactly is the “Rouges”?

It looks very similar to a Husky Jerk but yet a little different and are made by Smithwick(sp?). I’ll look for a picture.

Quote:

Headed up to the pond assuming a 5-7 mph wind from the NW.

ALWAYS add the two numbers together.

Mike W
    Participant
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Glad to hear someone found some fish up there. I fished the NW side also with not much to show for it either. We managed to catch 7 saturday night and 4 sunday night. Most where smaller fish. Biggest was a little over 20″s. Firetiger was the best producer for us over the weekend.

Water temps on Sunday where between 54 and 55 degrees. There did seem to be some schools of fish showing up in the deeper water just off some of the reefs. Didnt really notice any signs of the fish moving in on the weeds yet but I bet it will happen pretty soon.

Grouse_Dog
    Participant
    The Shores of Lake Harriet

What kind of bait fish was that in its stomach?

Mike W
    Participant
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Was just looking at your blog page Dave. Thats a pretty good read.

jon_jordan
    Participant
    St. Paul, Mn

Quote:

That is a Cisco.

-J.

ScottKaiser
    Participant
    Farmington Minnesota

Fished Saturday and Sunday night around Vineland bay. Saturday night was a bust for us. Sunday started out slow, but when the wind clamed down and the full noon came out, then it was game on Caught a bunch of keepers and our biggest was a very fat 25 incher Also, caught the biggest smallmouth bass that I have ever seen, it was HUGE!!! Blue Chrome was the ticket when the moon came out.

fish_any_time
    Participant
    Champlin, MN

Quote:

Quote:

That is a Cisco.

-J.

No, it’s a tullibee

David Anderson
    Participant
    Dayton, MN

Quote:

Was just looking at your blog page Dave. Thats a pretty good read.

I appreciate the compliment. Sometimes it can be hard when you don’t fish each week but I have lots of stories and experiences. I am up to about 180 hits a week including 2 of my aunts in their 70’s. I dare not quit!

BTW Rouges were both suspending in Firetiger and my favorite, Tiger Perch. I am not sure it would have mattered however.

brett-king
    Participant

Glad to hear some good results hope to get up on the pond soon for a fix.It`s a big lake and you can bet they are always biting some place but it sure can be humbling when it1s not wide spread.

barc
    Participant
    SE MN

ummmm… I have vote for the IDO special – green sunfish

barc

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.