Great year

• TRZ
    Participant
    St.paul

had a great year on the lake this year. it was my second year fishing mille Lacs, and i was up there about a dozen weekends and had some 50+ fish days and got a 30+ fish to put on my wall, and released a 39 inch pike. Last year i did terrible up there but after putting in my time i learned to catch consistent fish with the help of some of the nice guys on the web like D-Man. Can’t believe people are staying away from the lake because of the Regs, they don’t know what there missing. maybe that’s good because meat hunters is not what a fantastic trophy fishery like Mille Lacs needs.Hope to hit her hared again when she freezes, good luck to you wariors still hitting it!

Anonymous

If you like your second year wait till your 3rd and 4th on the pond.The best thing I have learned to tell myself about Mille Lacs is that it is has every structure you could ask for and there is always eyes going somewhere ya just have to find em.It is probably way under fished as a open water trolling lake. Brett!!

Anonymous

Yep, this was my first year back on the big lake fishing since the early 90’s. I grew up with a family cabin on Mille Lacs and I will always have a sentimental attachment to it. I bought my first boat this spring and I have had a year on the water that simply could not have been better (by my humble standards). I’ve learned much. I grew up fishing Mille Lacs with my dad’s old school ways and we didn’t see a lot of fish. I made my first trip back to Mille Lacs the week after opener loaded with my new fishing knowledge and my new boat. It has just been one great trip after another since then (was up to ML about a dozen times or so). Most of the fun has come after most fisherman hang it up in September. What a wonderful fishery. I plan to make my final trip this weekend and then start counting the days ’til next May.

Anonymous

Brett,

I completely agree with the open basin and suspended fishing going on. I have been trolling open water fish now for 6 years and can not beleive some people are not taking advantage of this. What a great bite. Feels just like Erie in many ways.

Just got back from a full week up on the big pond and had quite a week. We ended up catching just over 300 walleyes for the week. Although not one fish over 30″ but a couple that were close to. What a great bite going on. My last night was last night and water temp was 40.3 degrees. We were fishing all over the lake but the numbers all came from the north end weeds. As soon as the sun goes down it is steady action ALL night, or as long as you want to stay out there. The rock fish have been almost non-existent for me the last couple nights. Our nice fish came from these areas but few and far between as far as numbers go. I think I am done on Mille Lacs for the year and ready to hit the rivers for the rest of the fall/winter/spring again.

Good luck to all that continues to take advantage of the full moon bite right now. The bite is still on big time in the weeds.

Good Luck

BobO
    Participant
    Plymouth. MN

DeeZee,

I hope to get out one more time this weekend. Can you tell me a little more about the north weeds (how deep, what lures, etc)? I’ve been fishing the weeds in 9′ – 11′ south of Garrison with decent success.

Thanks.

Anonymous

DeeZee,

Great to hear about your awesome week, wish I cuold have joined the party.You must have figured out something different on the north end weeds as compared to others I gathered info from that had a tough time on that end .Keep up the hard work it is obviously paying big rewards.Fish on!!!!!Brett

Anonymous

hey guys,

Yes it was a great time. We were pulling all our fish from the public access in Garrison to the SA just norh of the access. We were pulling Smithwick “Super Rogues” over 7-9ft of water. Just this little stretch has held many, many fish for some reason. A buddy of mine was up there again last night and still hit them good. The Super Rogue’s were definately the ticket for us. These stickbaits are a neutral buoyant (suspending) and many of our fish came when the bait was sitting absolutley still for 5-60 seconds.

Give you an idea……. My buddy was pullling a fish in worthy of the net, so I put my rod in the rod holder and left it there with my line still out. Meanwhile we were landing the fish and I was helping him get the fish and lure out of the net and all of the sudden my rod takes off after sitting there for about 2 minutes and the motor in neutral. Long story short…….We were pumping our rods with long real slow sweeps and they all hit on the return of the sweep. Unbeleivable how many doubles we had. Many time also if one guy had a hit or a fish on, the other guy would have a hit simutaneously or get a fish as well. These little pods of eyes were very active and are very willing to hit.

The colr has been an obvious Black top, silver side and white belly or orange belly.

Like I said earlier, the rocks had been very dismal for us over the week, but we did get some of our big fish there. Food for thought.

Good luck to all.

Anonymous

DeeZee-Were you at that same spot on Sunday night? I was there in the Smokercraft. Ironically, I’ve experienced the same bite when putting the motor in neutral. First time it happened it was an accident. Had to try it for real…..it really works. Man, do they slam it. Great fun!

Anonymous

Halvy,

Yes I was there on Sunday and Tuesday and all of last weekend. I was in a 2090 Warrior tiller.

I think I saw out there one of the nights for sure.

What a great bite going on there. Although we have not boated anything over 27″ there. I thought with all those fish we caught, we should have stumbled into a bigger fish. Not complaining by any means.

I was suppose to go last night but something came up and was not able to swing it. I should be getting a slew of reports this morning from my buddies that made it out last night.

Good luck if you get up there again.

Anonymous

DeeZee-Yes, I remember seeing you. Give me your e-mail address. I’m going up today. Leaving at 2:00. Look for me in the Green/White Smoker Craft with 40 h.p. Honda if you’re up. Please report Thursday night results when you hear. Thanks.

Anonymous

DeeZee hit it on the head. Rouges were the ticket. Tried a bunch of different lures, but got all of my fish on Rouges. A few hit as soon as I engaged my reel after letting out line.

Get them before you go up. Hard to find on the lake. None at Meleens or Johnsons. There were 3 left on the shelf at Lundeens after I picked up 4. Not the color I would have liked, but a rouge none the less.

Good Luck.

J.

Anonymous

You guys mention fish hitting soon and while your bait sat. Are we talking suspended fish here or were you fishing shallow enough where active fish were simply honing in on your presentations?

Anonymous

Fishing less than 10 feet of crystal clear water. The fish are looking up at the profile of your crank against the light of the full moon and see an easy meal. No doubt they will come all the way off bottom to hit your bait.

J.

Anonymous

Was up last night again. I ended up with about 12 fish. I had some kicker motor problems, in which I ended my night earlier than I cared for. What a great night to be out, not a ripple on the lake. Most of the fish came on rogues once again and I founf them on the gravel out in front of Pike point in about 7-9 ft.

Agina these fish hit either whe nthe boat was in nuetral or when I was coming back on a big slow sweep.

Has anyone got any size up in this area lately? I have not seen a fish over 27″ up here. Nice fish, but with all the numbers, a guy would think that he would bump into a real nice fish every once in awhile.

Good Luck

DONOTDELETE
    Participant

Hey DeeZee

I’ve fished that Garrison Bay area extensively in the fall…. but not so much any more. I’ve been following your last couple reports and your findings fit mine as well regarding that Pike’s Pt. – west towards McDonalds trolling run….. lots of nice fish, consistent action on 23″ -26″ fish, but it’s not a great producer of the huge fish.

I’ve learned to look elsewhere for the piggies and if the wind sends me scurrying for shelter that trolling run off Pike’s Pt. is one of my favorites.

I just sent you a private… look for that and thanks for the updated reports!

James Holst

Moving Waters Guide Service

http://www.movingwaters.net

Anonymous

There is no doubt that this was the best year I have ever had on the lake. My boat has never seen the average size of fish like we are into now. All my friends who were able to spend time with me agree that it was the best fishing they ever had. I hope that winter fishing proves to be this good also.

Anonymous

Dido-Dido-Dido!!!!!!!!!! To many more summers like this one and a guy could get spoiled.I say bring it on!!!!!Brett.

Anonymous

Thought I’d share one last fish story…..was up fishing the lake on Tuesday and my fishing partner caught a 29″ pig on the south side of Garrison Reef dragging a light pike minnow in 23′ of water. I’d seen previous posts that suggested the walleyes might be moving deeper, so we gave it a shot. Low and behold we stumbled onto a fat one. Overall the fishing was slow, but this fish made for at least a little excitement.

I’m looking forward to learning to fish that lake a bit more next year, as I just got my first taste at the end of this year with 3 adventures out on the big pond. Being a rookie at this, I appreciate the helpful information posted on this forum….one of these days I may actually feel like I know what I’m doing out there.

Anonymous

Congrats on a nice fish.

We were up last night for my last trip to the big pond for this fall. Fished Big Point area and was pretty slow. We boated two and our neighboring boat landed 2 as well. Biggest was 27.5″, 25″.

Nice night to fish. The winds kicked up around 10:00 or so. That is when we took off.

Now, I am off to the rivers for the rest of the fall, winter, spring.

Garrison area is still producing good numbers but not every time out now. You still will boat fish, but the big numbers sounds to here today gone tommorrow and back the next day. Don’t put that boat away yet, still fish to be caught, especially with the look of continuing mild weather.

See ya on the rivers

Anonymous

You get any smallies out there fishin the rocks? Am thinkin about going this weekend. How about the perch? My 8 year old son will be with and if the bass aren’t on I might go after something he can catch easily.

Anonymous

Mnfish,

The perch bite has been real good in Walkon bay,try the point in front of the resort you see as you are heading into the bay.They have been doing well in 5ft of water on the rocks with jigs and minnows.Sounds as if limits have been caught fairly easily in a few hours so it may be worth a check,but I did not hear anything from this past weekend.I will check with some people and see if I can get the latest for you.As you can see though from my other post asking if anyone had been out traffic on the lake is getting scarce.Brett

Anonymous

Brett,

I will be on the water tonight up there. Any new news that you care to share? Sounds like we may go back to the weeds area up in Garrison. The last couple outiongs down on the southeast rocks has been slow.

Anyone been out this week?

I will report tomorrow morning………..

BobO
    Participant
    Plymouth. MN

DeeZee,

You have already announced twice in this thread that you were done on Mille Lacs for the year, and then returned. Isn’t that just like an addict, always believing they can quit anytime they want to…. <g>

I really appreciate your reports, and am looking forward to hearing about tonight’s effort. I expect to try the Garrison area on Sat.

Anonymous

Bob,

I think you are right. I have a serious problem, just ask my wife. The week is just too darn long without getting out a couple times during the week and anxiously awaiting the weekend to come.

Do I dare say that tonight is my last outing to Mille Lacs for the open water season…….probably not with mother nature being so kind. Sounds like she may turn a little by early next week though?

Good Luck this weekend, I will let you know tommorrow.

Anonymous

DeeZee,

I can relate to your problem let`s just not get our wives togehther to come up with a solution.I wish I could help you with some fresh info but a few guys I thought went out last weekend did not go sorry.I would probably head the same direction as your thinking though.Let us know how you do or send me an e-mail.

Anonymous

Was out at lunch on a southern metro(MPLS) lake. 1 hour had 14 largemouth up 5lbs! Nice way to spend a lunch! Wading and casting into 4-5′ with a baby minus one. Water temp, according to my watch, was 49 degrees. Just beautiful to be out. Might have to go tomorrow. I will be on the big lake on Saturday if the wind is light and from the south. Am fishing out of Cove. Will try the Waukon point (is that the one past Izatys or the other side? Maybe I’m lost already!) Am really after big smallies. Did well this summer and got fish up to 6lbs. Lookin for that state record. Will you be up there? I will be in an 89′ Champ 20′ with a Mariner on back. Grey and maroon. Me and my 9 year old. You gettin wallies up that shallow at all? 5-7′?

Anonymous

What a gorgeous night last night. Not a ripple on the lake and temps were very mild. Boated 7 walleyes. We spent some considerable time charting new waters last night. We started trolling some shoreline structure and boated about 3 small fish right away. We then saw one boat fan casting real close to shore in front of a little marina. We saw them release many fish. One fish looked to be a good 27″+ from what I could see. (just a guess). We continued to troll up and down the shoreline with no more success and shifted gears to fan casting stickbaits and #5’s. Still no luck. We went in to the area these guys were casting earlier after they left and it was about 2-4 ft of water with a slight weed growth. This area was not very big at all. After no luck there we shifted and went up to the Garrison area and pulled a couple more fish. Before we left, we went in real shallow in some sandy area(2-3ft) and pulled the spotlight out, sure enough there were ol marble eyes laying there real shallow. So we spent some considerable time fan casting the whole 300 yard stretch and then put the bowmount down and slowly trolled this area and picked up 2 more fish. Biggest fish for the night was a skinny 24″. Pretty slow overall, but tough to beat the nice evening.

Now that was my last time up to the pond for open water……………………………………………………………………………………………………………..hmmmmmm

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.