mille lacs area????

• drew-evans
    Participant
    rochester MN

I’m heading up to mille lacs for a bachelor party, I’m pretty familiar with mille lacs but with the walleye numbers being down and having many people that usually don’t fish with us, i am looking to you guys here to help me out. I’m wondering if any of the near by lakes have a good crappie bite going on that won’t take me a whole weekend to figure out and or if there is a bite going on mille lacs any tips would help us/ me out seeing all these guys think I’m going to put them on fish. thanks for any help guys!!

Drew Evans

biggill
    Participant
    East Bethel, MN

I don’t know from personal experience, but I’ve heard that Bay Lake has a good crappie bite in the spring. Many of the lakes in the Aitkin area have stunted populations, some don’t but you won’t hear about them.

Farm Island is also another great lake for just about everything. Shallow landing though.

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

Where are you staying? How many guys? Are you planning to fish out of your own boats the whole weekend?

drew-evans
    Participant
    rochester MN

12 guys three boats we will be up there this afternoon until sunday morn

wallster
    Participant
    Austin, MN

Go fish smallies. They are a blast on the pond. You will get walleyes right with them.
    Wallster ><((((>

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

If you’re looking for a simple technique that will give lots of action I’d reccomend casting cranks on the 6-10′ rock reefs and you’ll hook up with some tank smallies and should still be able to find some ‘eyes as well. Shad Raps are my bait of choice and wim baits and Rippin’ Raps are also a good option.

Another, out of the box idea that might be fun for group is to find the edge of an emerging weed bed with any wind blowing in, anchor the boats up next to each other 20 or so feet from the edge, and float 6-8″ sucker minnows over the flat. It might be a little early in the season but it’s worth a try and I can almost guarentee if it does work that someone will be catching their PB smallmouth. We’ve done this anchoring boats next to each other when we just want to relax, shoot the breeze and BS with your buddies… It can be turned into a great batchelor party game since everyone can see everyone else’s bobber you can make side bets on next fish, biggest fish, most fish, etc. Any time there’s a hit everyone starts talking smack and any whiffs on a strike result in an immediate finishing of your beverage

Edit – Great minds think alike Wallster… You’re just a faster typer than I am

drew-evans
    Participant
    rochester MN

Thanks for the tips guys I’ll reportback

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.