Perch?

• Dream’n
    Participant
    South St. Paul, Mn

There have been many reports of a good night bight for walleyes on Mille Lacs. I agree with this and have done well. Unfortunatly our daytime bite has been non existant. We haven’t even caught a perch! Anyone want to let me know where/what depth they may have caught even one! Sure would like to find something Saturday.
    Thanks Dream’n

timschmitz
    Participant
    Waconia MN

The best tool for successful perch fishing on Mille lacs is… A fast auger and a full tank of gas

jon_jordan
    Participant
    St. Paul, Mn

I’d also be interested in what others are finding. (Don’t care about location or technique.) During the entire 2012 open water season from opener through October I caught one perch. And it was only about a 6 incher. Very, very unusual as I fish a lot of live bait and pull spinners/crawlers all summer. Typical year I can’t keep them off the line. Not so this last year. Very concerning for sure! Is it just me? Are other finding catchable perch?

-J.

mark-bruzek
    Participant
    Two Harbors, MN

Just as Jon mentioned, I too had no jumbos on LC this summer, not the norm for me. It had a few of us questioning the Jumbo ice bite.
    I assure you they are still there. I have not put in as much time this season with the lil boy but what time I have spent has been good.
    9″-12″ perch are there. Keep moving till you locate them.

Fife
    Participant
    Ramsey, MN

I haven’t targeted them yet through the ice, and we haven’t picked up any in the permanent which is unusual. This summer I didn’t catch nearly as many as I normally do, but we did find perch in several locations this summer. In June I was picking some up trolling the edges of the mudflats and in August we were catching them in the deep gravel. In August the areas we were fishing usually have a 3 perch to 1 walleye ratio, but this year it was more like 1 to 1. Hopefully the jumbos are just hiding and will show up in about a month.

Whiskerkev
    Participant
    Madison

I’ve been out 3 times here on the Madison chain and I usually have to battle through smaller fish to get a dozen keepers. I haven’t caught a single one. Weird year for perch.

biggill
    Participant
    East Bethel, MN

Keep looking guys. I’ve been getting a few. I don’t want to give away my spot so I’ll just say that I’m getting them where others don’t target them.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.