New to the area

• boos1906
    Participant

Hey guys I’m looking for info on fishing Iowa. Will be moving to the Omaha Nebraska area next spring or summer! Just looking for good walleye and crappie lakes. Would like to stay with in 3-4 hours of omaha. How far would the mississippi river be from Omaha? How hard is it to learn the river? I will pretty much be new to fishing rivers? Any pointers or tips? Pm’s are welcome. Thanks for the help guys

sinister-fishing
    Participant
    Omaha, Ne for now

First off I’m sorry. Lol…. When are you going to be moving here? If before 4th of July I can show you how to fish the Missouri river. The Omaha area lakes are are highly pressured but walleye can be caught. feel free to give me a call 402-515-1879 Del

joe_the_fisher
    Participant
    Wisconsin Dells WI

This is why IDO is so great….A guy ask for help and a guy is right there to help and even leaves his number. Great job Del!!

mike_j
    Participant
    Nashua Iowa

The Mississippi is on the other side of the state but I would think the Missouri River would be just as good fishing (never fished it myself) and you don’t have to drive anywhere. I’ve never fished the Mississippi farther south than PDC WI so don’t know whats down south but I’de say Muscatine is the closest drive for you and its probably 4.5 to 5 hours.

BBKK
    Participant
    IA

You could hop right on i80 and hit the QC area. Not worth the drive, but I guess you could do it. Would be about 4.5 hours. Another hour farther and you can fish redwing p4.

IGL (iowa great lakes) would be A LOT closer to you and much better fishing. Heck you could go up the river and hit Sodak and into south western MN and be less than 3.5 hours.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Quote:

First off I’m sorry. Lol…. When are you going to be moving here? If before 4th of July I can show you how to fish the Missouri river. The Omaha area lakes are are highly pressured but walleye can be caught. feel free to give me a call 402-515-1879 Del

With you be showing him how to fish out of that monstrosity with 900hp?

boos1906
    Participant

Thanks for all the replies guys. Sinster are you moving from omaha? I wont be moving till spring or summer of 2015

CPRbigeyes
    Participant
    Iowa

I’ve heard Desoto bend can be good for eyes. Never fished the Missouri, but there’s gotta be some decent sauger fishing if you work at it. The Miss is going to be a long trip for you. Storm Lake isn’t too far from you, that’s a decent walleye lake.

CPRbigeyes
    Participant
    Iowa

Manawa is probably worth learning too.

boos1906
    Participant

Thanks for the reply. Where is desoto bend, and manawa?

CPRbigeyes
    Participant
    Iowa

Manawa is on the south side of Council Bluffs, Desoto Bend is north of Omaha 15 miles or so. Both are oxbow lakes of the Missouri.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.