Bullheads are illegal in Iowa

• moxie
    Sioux City,IA

To sell, I don’t remember reading anywhere that it was.

haasjj
    Cordova, IL

I believe it falls under the “you can’t sell gamefish”, but don’t quote me. I know you can’t sell stonecats for bait, so bullheads should fall under that as well.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Ya Mox, bullheads are in the catfish family so its illegal to sell them through a baitshop. They are legal to catch and use for your own bait but not to sell. I wondered if it ever would be feasible to ranch them and sell them as bait. If you could keep the price of both bluegills and bullheads down to a sellable price, by raising them, you could probably make a go of it. Unless I’m using alot of bait and need just a 1/2 dozen or so, Id rather buy them most of the time. 1″ pumpkin seed bluegills are about the best bait I’ve found for fishing for channel catfish on a pole or using other methods. Crappies that same size would be killer on catfish.

moxie
    Sioux City,IA

aha..Have never tried bullhead and it sounds like it’s a choice for flatheads. Called the baitshop looking for some and was told they’re illegal to sell.

Thanks.

pdl
    Bayport/St. Croix/Otsego/Grand Rapids

Does this mean my cousin has to stop selling the “fresh water pearls” he digs out of sheephead?

shane123
    Anthon, Iowa

Quote:

aha..Have never tried bullhead and it sounds like it’s a choice for flatheads. Called the baitshop looking for some and was told they’re illegal to sell.

Thanks.

out by holly springs, we have a nice bullhead stream. I think the creek by bronson supports bullhead too, but unsure about that one…

out by correctionville in the gravel pits, we have green sunfish and pumpkin seeds

if you want directions moxie, just hit me up. i can make you a google map for the exact spots, and yes they are public

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.