Cedar Falls Iowa

• Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Gooing to be in Cedar Falls this weekend for a wedding. Wondering if there is anyone that might have a open seat for some fishing saturday morning. Hoping to find something to do until about noon that day. How is the river for fishing down there? Might if nothing else might just have to cast a line in for a while that morning.

Thanks

iacanoeguy
    Iowa - Franklin Co

Mike – I live within 45 mins of CF, BUT I am headed to Brainerd to fish for awhile. Normally I would be glad to fish with you. The river is still pretty high in the CF area, but some of “ponds” in the area are OK. If you don’t find a boat mate, just look up George Wyth park and you can fish around there on the “lake” or ponds. Also on the South part of CF there are some ponds called Prarie Bridges or Prarie Lakes ponds. There are some great bass on the South pond and easy to fish from shore if the weeds have not grown up too much yet. That’s all I can offer.

stuart
    Mn.

Hope you find a seat Mike.The river can be pretty good in that area shore fishing.Right behind the brown bottle restraunt and down stream from there.
    Let me know how you do.

jighead-two
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

Which motel you staying at? There are several motels near north and south prairie lakes.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Think we are staying at a super 8.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

So what is the river like down there. Looks kinda shallow from google maps. Are you able to boat it?

jighead-two
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

You can boat it above the dam in CF, but the parks where the ramps are have been closed due to high water. In Waterloo, they put a bladder type dam in to bring the water level up, I think that ramp is open.

jighead-two
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

Just checked, the city park, Island Park, just above the CF dam is open. It’s got 2 concrete ramps. Also your motel is close to Prairie Lakes. If by chance the wedding is at Prairie Lakes Church, that’s just across the highway from the lakes.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Catfishings good right now Mike if you want to go that way. Try to find some slow water off of the main channel and you should be good to go, use livers or bait shrimp. Were getting a lot of them on bait shrimp and better hookups.

eye-full
    Waterloo,Ia,USA

Well crap, wish I could take you out Mike but I’ll be working. I have not been out in a while so really don’t know what is going on as far as the bite, I suck in high water so only have hit a couple ponds for bass.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Think Ill be throwing a rod in and just taking a walk down by the river early Saturday morning. Maybe see if I can find a few decent rocks or current seams to do some pitching by. The wife is starting to plan my day down there all ready so guessing I might just have a hour or two to get out.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

They got pounded with rain there today Mike, hope that doesn’t hurt your plans.

BBKK
    IA

Hope you don’t mind high and muddy water.

eye-full
    Waterloo,Ia,USA

How did things turn out Mike?

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Never did make it out. Wife ended up filling up my free time. Would of liked to had spent some time checking out the river down there. Muddy water doesnt bother me. We fish it all the time on pool 2. Those fish still have to eat.

Thanks for all the reply’s. Next time down Ill have to get out on the water.

Heading home on Sunday it sure looked like the Iowa/MN border area got some rain. Lots of wet fields and swollen rivers. We where going to stop at Mystery cave but the road had been washed out.

eye-full
    Waterloo,Ia,USA

Sorry to hear that Mike, wish I could have taken you out. We are getting hammered again, from drought to flood . I heard Beaver Creek went up 10′ in 24 hrs.

Any tips for dealing with the mud and for the flood? Like I said I have yet to figure those conditions out.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

There is a post in the Mississippi river walleye forum with tips on fishing high water. Those fish have to eat. If they dont they would of starved to death long ago.

Try looking for shoreline current seams. Those fish can be right on the bank. Not un common to pitch a jig on shore and drag it back into the water in some spots. It may take some time searching out the right seams but keep looking.

Back water areas and below islands offer areas with less flow and sometimes cleaner water. Even in the highest water there is always a place with less flow. Many times you can still find a spot where 1/4 ounce jigs or less are plenty for pitching. Find a larger area with less flow and cleaner water try trolling cranks.

Another area I like to look is fast water with lots of current breaks on it. It doesnt take much for a walleye to hid out of the current. A stick, rock, dip in the bottom will all work just fine. Rip rap shoreline is a perfect example of this. It offer tons of current breaks. Side channels with hard bottom and logs work well to. One spot I used to love up here on pool 2 in high water was a little side channel that brushed up against a rocky shoreline where many trees had fallen in. Fast current going though this little area but it held fish like crazy. 3′ to 5′ depth and maybe 50′ wide.

Hope that helps a bit.

eye-full
    Waterloo,Ia,USA

Thank you Mike.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.