What is this?

• dbrode
    Participant
    Mingo, IA

Caught a few of these this morning at a farm pond. Is it a rock bass or some kind of bluegill? they have a bigger mouth like a bass and wonderful coloring. Never seen what I think is a rock bass that big. Little help?

igotone
    Participant

Isn’t that a “pumpkinseed”

mossydan
    Participant
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

We’ve got them here in a lake in town. I know thier not a regular bluegill and all the warmouth I’ve seen haven’t been that big so I’m leaning twards a pumpkinseed strain but don’t know forsure.

BBKK
    Participant
    IA

I cant tell on this computer, but it is either a green sunfish or a hybrid (green sunfish x bluegill). Absolutely not a pumpkinseed or a regular bluegill, it has greensunfish in it. Either 100% greeny or maybe a hybrid, again I cant tell on this computer. Does look a little too big top to bottom to be 100% greeny.

I have caught green sunfish up to 10-11″ long in farm ponds. Hybrids will get much bigger. Those 9″ green sunfish are actually good eating. They taste better than a bluegill or crappie because all they eat is bugs and micro tiny fish.

trumar
    Participant
    Rochester, Mn

That is a dandy of a fish

eyehuntr14
    Participant
    SE WI

I still think it’s just a big ole Warmouth…

katmando
    Participant
    Ramsey,MN pool 2, St.croix river

I’d say it is a pumpkinseed bluegill hybrid, but not 100% positive.
    Looks like some good kitty bait though

BBKK
    Participant
    IA
    armchairdeity
    Participant
    Phoenix, AZ, formerly from the NW 'Burbs, Minneapolis, MN, USA

It’s a green hybrid. Greens have a mouth and an attitude like bass but the general body shape of a sunfish. They easily hybridize with bluegill and will take anything from a waxie on a slip bobber to a small daredevil.

Insane little fish and fun to catch on ultralight gear.

Oh, and the hybrids lack the gene that controls growth hormone so they grow insanely big insanely fast.

BBKK
    Participant
    IA

There is only one type of sunfish that has the red/yellow/orange on the fins, and that is a green sunfish or their hybrids.

dbrode
    Participant
    Mingo, IA

Sounds like its a mystery. Maybe I can get a better photo tommorrow. Thanks for all the input!

armchairdeity
    Participant
    Phoenix, AZ, formerly from the NW 'Burbs, Minneapolis, MN, USA

Quote:

Sounds like its a mystery. Maybe I can get a better photo tommorrow. Thanks for all the input!

Umm… no. It’s no mystery. A dozen people are all telling you exactly what it is.

The mystery is why you think this is a mystery.

BBKK
    Participant
    IA

Quote:

Its not a mystery, just a bunch of people here who have different names for different species. I’d be willing to bet over half the people who did not say green sunfish or green sunfish hybrid meant that species, but just call it a different name.

I am 100% sure it is a green sunfish or a green sunfish hybrid, I have caught thousands of them. Most people call them warmouth or rockbass, but they are green sunfish.

If in doubt, look at the DNR’s website at the list of species. It is CLEARLY a green sunfish. The people who are saying otherwise have probably never even seen one in person. Once you know what a green sunfish is, you can spot one from 100 yards away.

Nearly every body of water in Iowa has green sunfish. It will not be the last one you see.

dbrode
    Participant
    Mingo, IA

Looks alot like that green sunfish hybrid picture. Thanks!

stuart
    Participant
    Mn.

Its a bullhead.

mossydan
    Participant
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Looks like a bullhead to me too Stuart, everybody here can take our word for it.

mud
    Participant

grouper

tom_gursky
    Participant
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Definitely not a warmouth… here is a Warmouth

tom_gursky
    Participant
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Here is a rock bass…

here we would just call your fish a Sunfish…I have seen them get over 12″ long.

igotone
    Participant

nice post – Tom

dfresh
    Participant
    Fridley, MN

It is clearly either the Kraken or the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

It is a green sunfish.

BBKK
    Participant
    IA

Tom, I assume the guys saying warmouth are meaning green sunfish. I have heard more people call them warmouth or rock bass than by their correct name around here. They all mean the same fish, just misunderstood. Just like the people who call bluegill “perch” or crappie “white perch”.

I think the USFW should put out a fish ID pamphlet and hand it out all across the county. Would be very handy.

john23
    Participant
    St. Paul, MN

Somebody better lock this down before it gets out of hand!

I have to figure at least a few of you remember this argument from a few years ago???

reverend
    Participant
    Rhinelander, WI

Call it what you want, green sunfish make GREAT flathead bait!
    -Rev

oldbear
    Participant
    State Center, Iowa

Its a green sunfish, there slimey and a little darker than a bluegill but have a white or cream color around the fins. Right, catfish bait or you can eat em if you want.

rockycookie
    NULL

looks like a hybrid bluegill or sunfish, most likely a hybrid bluegill with the yellow belly and larger mouth ….I love this fish I used to catch them as larger than my hand and what a nice fish..hard to find them..

reverend
    Participant
    Rhinelander, WI

Flatheads LOVE ’em!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.