Ice fishing

• mjelle
    Participant
    Devils lake ND

Went out yesterday on the ice. The perch were scattered in the bays. The thin ice has limited us and kept us off our traditional areas. The smaller lakes are froze to 5 inches or so as are the protected bays. The perch were soft biting and seemed to like small baits or baits with a drop line. I had a good run about mid day with a Northland Buckshot, 3inch drop line and a small chartrues colored hook tipped with a minnow head, I tried a percheye on thesdame rig and it worked better yet but the fish seemed harder to hook. I think a longer drop line and small treble rather than the hook would have helped. I found them both shallow 7 feet and deeper 14 feet. We are expecting to get some cold weather this week so that should make some good ice.

Fish and hunt Devils lake, lodging, guides, complete vacation packages. 888 438 6760

Anonymous

Mjelle,

have you tried the salmo chubby darter with a dropper on the perch on devil’s?

mjelle
    Participant
    Devils lake ND

I wouldn’t want to say that fast 3 times! I haven’t heard of them, where can I see a picture? I like dropper lines on baits like NorthLand’s Buck Shot, and Cast Masters. So I am a believer in that concept. Are they a soft bait?

Fish and hunt Devils lake, lodging, guides, complete vacation packages. 888 438 6760

Anonymous

I’ll see if I can send you a picture on one soon. Hawger

DONOTDELETE
    Participant

Here’s that picture of the Salmo Chubby Darter. Hawger e-mailed it to me and I just now had a chance to get it on the server for all to take a look at.

I really like the looks of this baby! Could be a real killer through the ice and I know they work on the Mississippi River as a replacement for the ever faithful but typically boring jig and minnow.

James Holst

Moving Waters Guide Service

http://www.movingwaters.net

mjelle
    Participant
    Devils lake ND

Thanks I will have to try that I wonder about a drop line with wax worms etc. Does it go round the hole or straight up and down. Mike

Anonymous

It darts… Ha! When you lift it. Hawger

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.