Devils Lake BS

• mjelle
    Participant
    Devils lake ND

Greetings and welcome to another edition of Mag Mike’s Devils Lake report. The days like today are rare it was one of the most beautiful days I’ve seen since leaving Minnesota and moving out here. Let me give you a run down of my day. I was going to Devils Lake to get toilet parts, (that is not the beautiful part) The sun was so bright and the water that was on either side of road was the deepest blue that you only see in the fall. The wheat stubble was a bright yellow, the ducks and a few geese were setting down with the flashing wings in the sun looking almost fake they were so bright when the white under the wings caught the rays just right. The wind was about 10 out of the south east so the waves were breaking on the road north of Minnewaukan I thought boy I bet the walleyes are up here today! So I thought what the [censored] I stopped and just happened to have a few jigs and a rod and reel along (I can’t imagine how it got in there.) I found a flat rock and flicked a jig about 40 ft I watched the line drop expecting it to hit the bottom and go limp, but it just gave a little tick and kept going. All of a sudden I wasn’t looking at the damn ducks anymore I had a nice walleye on! I looked around for my net It was in my van sitting 10 yards behind me on the shoulder. I looked at the fish it was gold, black and big, I knew I was going to release it anyway but I sure wanted to land it. I thought I could get down on a knee and dip this hawg out by hand so I started to get in position for this acrobatic trick. If you have never tryed to put 300lbs on a slimey rock with smooth worn out tennis shoes and a 26 inch fish on the end of a line you haven’t lived. The fish did one of those tricks they teach em in fish school where they lay on their side and come sliding right up to you on the surface They do this so that you let your gaurd down a little and start to think I got you. The minute muscle relaxation caused by the fish pulling the old ‘lay on your side and come in easy for a while trick’ on me caused me to move and shift my sizable mass ever so slightly. This caused a chain reaction that all ran togther because it happened rather quickly.But I will try to compile a short rundown of this impromtu gymnastic meet. My foot moved, the rock it was on preformed a magic trick and levetated for an instant then rolled down into the water of course my foot had developed a deep attraction to the rock and decided to stay with it as it went into the pristine but rather cool waters of the Minnwaukan Falts. The fish decided that he needed to get going again this caused me to raise my hand with the rod in it over my head. This caused the foot that was still cooperating and staying on it’s rock to think that it had places to go too. It decided between two rocks sounded good, This manauver by the second foot was both good and bad it was good that it had stopped my dive but it was doing very little good for the foot that was about level with my left ear under 2 feet of water. I thought I had discovered a quick but painful method to perform a sex change operation, there was also some of the most creative use of the english langauge probably ever delivered without a single rehearsal and delivered in a very short period of time I would say in miliseconds over 50 word totaling 200 letters were fired out like bullets from a Gattling gun on an Apache helicopter. After finally letting my foot rub a bare spot on a rock I got back to a somewhat vertical stance The fish by this time had decided I wasn’t going to drown on my own so she thought she would try a Spider wire wrap on my leg. I thought this was pretty quick thinking for a fish, it made me feel pretty good that I was able to hook such a genious! At this point I reached down and just lifted the fish out of the water easier than a football player’s diploma at Nebraska. After a good look at the creature that had gone out of its way to make a point of the reasons to not fish when you are suppoed to be working, I estimated it at 26 inchesand gently released her. You would think that fish would be grateful and somewhat scared and get away instead I swear it hovered about 2 inches under the surface and just shook it’s head and kept looking at me another wierd thing was I swear it was holding a small sign with a 9.4 on it! Do fish laugh? Are they advanced enough to use the decimal system? I’ll have to conduct a scientific study some time on the humor preferances of a cold blooded, sadisic walleye so next time this happens to you, watch the fish’s reaction when you release it and report to me as I will compile the reports and report on the findings. After extracting my foot from the grip of a few ton of rocks and appling a piece of my shirt to the pressure points to slow the flow, I got back to the van and went on to get the toilet parts. On my drive I reflected what a great state we live in I can stop and catch a walleye like that from the road and watch all the wild life and natural beauty but the best part NO ONE SAW ME LAND THAT FISH! Thank God You should see what I can accomplish with a gun and a canoe. See you on the water. MagMike

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.