Possible trip in 10-14 days.

• gpalma
    Participant

A friend just invited me to fish Devil’s Lake for probably the only time I’ll go in my life. Can anyone give me some tips for historic perch fishing locations at this time of year? If PM is preferable, I would appreciate any guidance you can give. If I come away with a single monster perch for my wall, it’s all I’m really after.

What depths are normal for this time of the year, the baits commonly used and the best area to use as a base of operation? We’ll have a pair of 4-wheelers for movement on the lake.

Thanking you in advance.

SkoDak
    Participant

Oh where to start on Devils Lake? I would go to Ed’s Baitshop and get an idea where the fish are biting and make a decision from there. Also, there are some good web sites out there that have pretty up to date reports on the bite. The lake is so big, it can be intimidating but the neat thing about it, is fish can be practically anywhere. If I was heading up, I would get a general idea of where the fish are biting and scope out some area on my own instead of hanging with the crowds. In terms of historical spots, they are everywhere and they are the spots that they will tell you about at the bait shop. But find some submerged trees on your own and go for it. Hali’s are a good lure there for perch. Walleyes like Forage Minnows, plain hook and minnow, or buckshot rattlespoons. Then, don’t forget to bring some tip ups with frozen smelt. More than likely you will get some nice pike on the ice as well. If you are mobile, you will get your trophy perch.

jh55429
    Participant
    Crystal, MN

Been out to Devils Lake about 10 this year and we haven’t caught much for perch. Reports around the lake have been the same too. A few people are getting perch here and there but 6 or 8 perch in a day has been good. We’ve got one perch that was close to a pound and the rest have been smaller.

On a upside though, the walleye fishing has been real good. We’ve iced quite a few walleyes already this winter. The traditional spots that have been producing have been in the trees. Like the previous post said Hali’s tipped with a waxworm or jigging spoons tipped with a minnow head, a single waxworm, or 3 waxworms have worked well for perch. For walleyes we have been getting them on buckshot rattle jigs, weasels, and once in a while set lines with a whole minnow.

A good spot to check on the latest reports is nodakoutdoors.com, they usually have the latest reports from Ed’s Baitshop or you can search on Google for devils lake fishing reports and there are quite a few web pages with good information.

I will hopefully be getting out there this up coming weekend, so i’ll let you know how I did.

Josh Hukriede

gpalma
    Participant

Thanks for the info, guys. Apparently, the gent I am going with has a decent handle on the lake from prior trips at this time of the year. He urged me to get the Hali baits in the small size in gold/perch colors. He also stressed the need for 2# line max. I never realized that perch might be that finicky at 24-30+ feet of water. I typically use 2# Tectan line because the lake I fish are shallow and gin clear once they stratify.

Supposedly, his method is to drop the bait into the mud and bounce it lightly. Then, raise the bait only an inch or two off bottom. The strikes are not felt, but rather seen on a tuned FL8. Sounds interesting anyway and I’m certain I’ll get a proper indoctrination.

How is travel on the ice by vehicle presently? Ice thickness? Is a 4-wheeler advised or should I leave it home given present conditions? I noted that ave temps for middle March are 36/20 with records of 60/-15. So, I’ll prepare for anything in those extremes.

Any other tidbits of knowledge you care to share? I’m all ears.

jh55429
    Participant
    Crystal, MN

That’s an interesting tactic. We’ve fished similarly to that by dropping the jig in the mud to stir it up. The perch and walleyes will then think there is something in the mud there and they would be attracted to it.

I didn’t make it out last weekend so i’m not sure what the current conditions of the lake. Two weeks ago though you could drive pretty much anywhere on the lake with a four wheel drive truck (make sure to have a shovel just in case). I don’t think they have changed much since then, but we did get some snow last week. I’m going out to the lake on saturday so i will let you know about present conditions then. Also the Chamber of Commerce plows roads around most of the lake. Here is a link that explains where all the roads around the lake are. Hope this helps http://www.devilslakend.com/tourism/fishing/fishingreport.htm

Josh Hukriede

gpalma
    Participant

Thanks Josh. Apparently, they really load up the hooks with Mousies…drop it in the dirt to attract them and slowly raise it to entice the strike. Heck, I always used crushed egg shells if I wanted to attract perch. A pinch of that in the hole draws them like right now. Not certain it’d be legal in your waters though. I’ve done it on places like Green Bay and it definitely works once the bite slows somewhat. The crushed egg shells flutter down like little spoons.

Travel on Devils Lake will obviously be critical. If a regular truck will get it done, great! Seeing that I do not know the water, I shall be extremely cautious around the bridges/narrows/culverts/etc. It’s the mid-lake problemns that can kill a guy however. If the ice is 4′ thick…this is obviously not a problem.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.