looking for a walleye report

• mroberts
    Participant
    Nebraska

Just looking to see how the walleye bite is. Going to be making a trip up not sure if we are going to fish. Told the father in law I would do some checking. thanks for any reports.

Quintin Biermann
    Webster, South Dakota

I made a phone call and from what I am hearing the fishing has been good for those finding fish. A friend of mine was out yesterday and pulled a 3 man limit of fish trolling number 5 shad raps with line weights. They were fishing in 25-30 foot of water at 2mph trolling speed. 3 oz line weights clipped on 15 foot in front of the lure. With anywhere between 75-85 feet of line let out on a counter. Line weights are totally speed dependent so the slower you go the more they will sink. They put on in platte and fished downstream. Brighter cranks colors firetiger, hot tiger, chartruese, worked best. Hope this helps.

mroberts
    Participant
    Nebraska

Thanks for the info.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

The only info I could get comes from north of there. Sharpe and Oahe are on fire right now. The fish are skinny and the fear of a major bait fish crash is spreading rapidly. Sorry I couldn’t help more.

wade_kuehl
    Participant
    Northwest Iowa

Kooty, My dad was fishing at Oahe and Sharpe 2 weeks ago and said the same thing about the skinny walleye. It’s not sounding good. I’m wondering what impact the flooding had on them. The fish at Francis Case and Lewis & Clark look great though.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

In 97, when Oahe hit the record high, the dumping washed a major portion of the bait fish downstream. The GF&P came up with a plan that worked rather well. Increased limits of the smaller aggressive eaters. They survived this once before, hopefully they will again.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.