Frabil magnum bait station

• sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

The FW got me one of these in the 13 quart size for b-day. I am on the fence whether to keep it or down size to the 8 quart size. Anyone have the 13 quart and use it? I think it’s too big for the boat, although it is a very nice system. Can’t imagine carrying it out ice fishing either even with the shoulder strap. Any help? Keep it or down size?

Coletrain27

I have the Engel 7.5 quart and I feel like that is plenty big for ice fishing with everything else in the sled. If you do a lot of tip up fishing with sucker minnows the bigger one can be a advantage but I don’t personally.

AnotherFisherman

We have both. Tend to use the 8qt one during ice season. Used the 13qt quite a bit during the summer. Works great, fyi.

Deuces

Don’t want to detail your thread sticker but anyone else not happy with their frabill. I have the smaller one, aeroter is loud, my lid froze and tore the rubber gasket, partially busted the whole top, water leaks out the tube hole. Get what you pay for but for ice doesn’t seem thought out. Just my 2 cents. Maybe if others have issues good time to upgrade to Engel?

sticker

My brother has the 8 quart and hasn’t seen any of these issue…and he is really hard on his equipment. he doesn’t run the aerator much at all though.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Engel and Frabill with both freeze when ice fishing. Put Vaseline on the seal to keep it from freezing.

bassh8er

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Mr.Beads wrote:</div>
    Don’t want to detail your thread sticker but anyone else not happy with their frabill. I have the smaller one, aeroter is loud, my lid froze and tore the rubber gasket, partially busted the whole top, water leaks out the tube hole. Get what you pay for but for ice doesn’t seem thought out. Just my 2 cents. Maybe if others have issues good time to upgrade to Engel?

My latch broke on my Frabill, 2x quote going to Engel myself.

That’s why I bit the bullet on the Engel. Nothing broke in cold water so far and you do notice a difference on really hot days. Worth the dough in my opinion.

hawghunter08

I use both engel and frabill. Both are great products. I personally think that the 13 is perfect for open water. Nicer to have one a little more compact for ice fishing if you are hauling a bunch of gear around. If using in the boat I would keep it. They are a nice cooler

Deuces

Engel and Frabill with both freeze when ice fishing. Put Vaseline on the seal to keep it from freezing.

Have to glue it up and try that out. Thanks

sticker

Thanks for the advise, I went with the 8 quart. I rarely use minnows in the summer let alone sucker minnows, mostly leeches. Winter I prefer to have the smaller size for sure. Not even sure how much I’ll use the aerator.

skunked

Drudging up an old thread here but has anyone had issues with the aerator on their magnum bait stations? Mine lasted about a month and I haven’t been able to track down a replacement one.

AnotherFisherman

Drudging up an old thread here but has anyone had issues with the aerator on their magnum bait stations? Mine lasted about a month and I haven’t been able to track down a replacement one.

I have an 8qt and a 13 qt. Both aerators have stopped working… Very frustrating.

JasonP
    Twin Cities

Good point. With the magnums the aerator is a custom fit. The aerator on the Engel’s just clips to the side… so you could probably use any aerator as a replacement.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I do not like my bait station either. The aerators are pretty junky.

Reef W

The Engel aerators are loud junk too. Only advantage is that you can use any aerator you want. Downside of the clip on is that they stick off the side so they’re in the way and easy to knock off but I guess it’s better than not being able to find a replacement at all for a custom fit one.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

The Engel aerators are loud junk too. Only advantage is that you can use any aerator you want. Downside of the clip on is that they stick off the side so they’re in the way and easy to knock off but I guess it’s better than not being able to find a replacement at all for a custom fit one.

Heavy duty, sticky back velcro. Put where you like, even multiple spots.
    Not perfect but it helps.

Umy
    South Metro

I got the 13 qt Engel for Christmas. The aerator is loud. Bought a Frabill aerator – much quieter – curious to see what it’s like while in the boat. Sturdy enough to sit on though too.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

I have an Engel and the aerator on them are junk. I probably only used it twice before it quit working. There are several videos online on how to try and fix them. It works for a couple more hours before it quits again. I had bought the wall charger (it comes with cigarette charger). Fleet Farm had the replacements on sale several weeks ago. I was in the store a couple hours after getting their weekly add. They didn’t have any in stock. I don’t think they ever had any in stock. I ordered 2 online (17.99 each). I’m guessing they won’t last long either.

gizmoguy
    Crystal,MN

I have the Engel. Replaced the aerator with the Clam Deluxe Lithium Rechargeable Aerator. If need be I can plug it in one of my USB chargers on the boat or in the fish house.

Go Spuds

I LOVE my bait station–that being said after 3 seasons the aerator gave up the ghost. Im struggling to find a replacement..any suggestions??

muskie-tim
    Rush City MN

I use one of these on the Engel 13 qt when at home. a lot quieter that the Engle bubbler.

They also make a battery powered one but I have not used one.

They also make many other models. Search Marine Metal on Amazon

michael keehr

I have an angel an the aerator it came with lasted 2 years I bought a promar ac 720 and have ran that just over a year now. It is not as quiet as some but is quieter than the original angel. It is pretty quiet on the low setting but makes a little noise on high. I was recommended this by a friend that uses these to keep his catfish bait healthy all year long has been running his same one for 3 years.

iowa_josh

Yes, the smallest promar aerator is good. Not the quietest. But they keep working for a while and they are cheap.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

I bought the Clam rechargeable. Used it all last summer and this winter. Still working. Use a 19 qt. Engle in the summer. No issues so far. Run it on 12 volt in the boat.

Coletrain27

I’ve used my Engel all winter and never used a aerator once. I add some slush/snow or lake water to the cooler a couple times a day while in my wheelhouse didn’t hardly lose any minnows…

queenswake
    NULL

I’m glad others are having problems with the aerators as well. I keep buying them after they quit on me. Luckily they are cheap.

I have both the Engel and the smaller Frabil and love them all, especially during the summer. Using minnow buckets seems so silly now with the minnows dying so easily in the warm weather.

A lot of guys use the bigger versions at the cabin as a base station and scoop some out in the smaller ones to take with them in the boat.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

I’ve had the Bubble Box for 7-8 years now. Still going!! I don’t use it in the boat but in the truck on the way home or at a cabin in the winter.

Jim Clark
    Chippewa Falls, WI

I had checked out the bait coolers, and ended up deciding I could make my own using an old insulated Coleman cooler I had in the rafters…Drilled a hole high up in one end, pulled the air hose through it, connected to a long, wide air stone, connected my Frabil ac/dc air pump to it, and it will do the same job as the more expensive Frabil’s/Engel’s bait coolers at a fraction of the cost…Gonna work real good for musky suckers in the fall…

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

The aerators are junk but I only use mine when in the boat or in the portable. In the castle or at home I just use a cheap fish tank one, it has lasted for 5 plus years on the engel and was a used one from one of the kids old fish tanks.

Thomas Smith

Silicone spray lubricant will keep rubber seals from sticking with ice. It works great on vehicle door seals.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.