Four Wheelers & Plowing Snow

• shoot-n-release
    Participant
    Mora, MN

I think I’m in the market for a four wheeler. The main purposes are to plow my driveway and to use around the house, but I’ll also use it for fishing and trail riding.

First, plowing. I’ve heard there are drawbacks to plowing snow with a four wheeler. The biggest one being the need to push the snow further back to leave room for future snow because you aren’t able to lift and pile the snow with a plow. Any other drawbacks?

If I decide to get a four wheeler to plow my driveway, which brand and size are the best? Does independent rear suspension make good traction on ice difficult?

Would you recommend buying new or used? If used, where is a good spot to start looking. I’ve used Craigslist to sell things, but have never made a major purchase from a private buyer. It’s also not always easy to tell if their asking price is market value or some other inflated price.

I am also in the market for a lawnmower to mow 2+ acres. This is weighing into my decision to buy a four wheeler. Instead of buying a four wheeler and a lawn mower, should I look at a utility tractor, such as a John Deere X700 series, with a mower deck and snow blower to accomplish both tasks. How many of you use these?

usafcatm
    Participant
    Drummond, WI

S-N-R, I was in your position 7 years ago. Bought a Suzuki 700 King Quad with a 50″ moose plow for my driveway. Fast forward two years and back to a dealership I go to buy a JD 2305. My driveway is slightly longer then a city block, and I live in Drummond WI so have a lot of snow. Bottom line, if you’re looking at moving snow get a tractor with a snow blower. If you’re looking at getting an ATV to ride trails buy a good trail rider.
    Cons that I had with the 4 wheeler, heavy snow the blade would fold down and ride over the snow, in light snow if I did not have a base down the blade would bite into the gravel and push my driveway into my lawn.
    Pros, it was dual purpose, using it on my driveway as well as ice fishing. But, after last year’s snowfall I sold it because it was worthless in the deep snow and now I am in the market for a good sled.
    Buy your tractor, look for a deal on a good used trail rider!

suzuki
    Participant
    Woodbury, Mn

The ATV forum would be a great place for your question. Plus we need some activity over there!
    I’ve been using an AC 500 to plow my cabin for 8 years and count on it.

dbright
    Participant
    Cambridge

My 450 Honda has been clearing are family cabin since 04. The only things I would do different would be a 60″ instead of the 48″ blade and I would have kept my stock tires to run chains. Big mud tires don’t work with chains and don’t do a good job in deep snow on the lake. You do have to start with your banks way back. With some of the new front mount plows you could probably get away with stacking to a point but it sounds like they are not as strong of a mount. As far as size goes regardless of how big of a wheeler you get you run out of traction before power. Brand wise I have had my 48″ moose since 04 without breaking anything. I don’t baby my plow or wheeler when plowing.

gbfan10
    Participant
    Hastings, mn

I’ve been plowing my driveway for 5 years with my Honda Rincon with a warn plow. It does a great job, but I was running out of places to put the snow after last winter. The city frowns on pushing it across the road so I had to make large piles in my yard. I’ve beat the crap out of this ATV for 10 years and it’s still as reliable as the day I bought it. I also use it for hunting, trails, ice fishing, etc.

When you select a plow width, keep in mind, that you will run the plow at an angle most of the time. For that reason I wish I went larger.

Wade Boardman
    Participant
    Grand Rapids, MN

If your in the market for a lawn tractor I’d say it’s a no brainer and get the blower with your lawn tractor. We got rid of the wheelers and plows a few years ago (dad was last hold out last year) in exchange for JD tractors and snowblowers. LOVE THE CHANGE. I’ll never go back to a wheeler and plow.

Get a used wheeler for playing. Don’t bother plowing. Dad sold his wheeler and walk behind snowblower and traded up to a JD with a snowblower and an Argo Conquest 8X8 for utility and sport.

If you really have your heart set on plowing with a wheeler, get a 60″ blade with a “wing” design.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

I run a 60″ Moose “county plow”, which is the type that is taller on one side than the other. I went with the RM4 mount with the high lift setup so it allows the blade to fold up almost on top of the front rack. The biggest advantage is the high lift allows me to stack snow higher. I plow a 300 yard driveway with it and have had no issues. You do have to start with your banks back a little further and plan ahead. If I had a big pile of money, a plow truck would work better, but the 550 grizzly gets it done and allows me to use it ice fishing and trail riding where a plow truck wouldn’t.

GEEMAN
    Participant
    Fort Atkinson , WI

I have plowed my driveway with a 450 Honda the last 7 years or so. Before that I plowed with a Honda 300. They do/did a good enough job for me. I also have a walk behind 2 stage blower for areas I can’t get with the plow like along side buildings and sidewalks. Overall the blower does a better job clearing snow than the plow.

They both have pros and cons. With the wheeler I have to plan ahead and make room for future snow falls = no big deal for me usually. Fortunately, my driveway drops away along one side so it’s easy for me to push snow over the side to accomplish that. That being said, Last year I did run out of room and that’s where the blower shined as it threw the snow up and over the snow banks with ease. The plow shines when we have wet heavy snow like when our friendly township guy decides to plow the end of my driveway shut. The plow pushes that stuff away with ease while the blower usually chokes on it.

In your case (for snow removal) since you need a new riding mower anyways, I think you would be better served going with a mower/blower combo. My neighbor has a JD mower/blower combo and the only drawback I have seen with that rig is he loses traction sometimes and gets stuck. That’s usually when he knocks on my door to come pull him out the the Honda. LOL

TheFamousGrouse
    Participant
    St. Paul, MN

When my neighbor got a plow for his wheeler, I thought wow, that would be awesome. After 2 years, I’m now glad I didn’t get one and I see why he sold it. All the reasons mentioned above.

What it looks like to me is that ATV plows would be great in places like the central belt states where they get a few inches of wet, sloppy stuff, then everything melts, then the get another inch of wet stuff, etc.

Because of the issue with having places to push the snow as the piles build and winter drags on, I would say on a whole-winter average I could clear my driveway faster with my 2 stage snowblower. At first the advantage was all to the 4 wheeler, but as he built up big icy piles of snow and had to start pushing it way out into his back yard, then suddenly he was out there 30 minutes after I was done.

Grouse

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.