Ford Lighting Review

• CaptainMusky
    Participant

You’re not swapping out these batteries at gas stations or otherwise unless they radically make changes to how they’re integrated into vehicles. Plus the sheer size of them is ridiculous. It’s not like pulling out a 12 volt.

queenswake
    Participant
    NULL

You’re not swapping out these batteries at gas stations or otherwise unless they radically make changes to how they’re integrated into vehicles. Plus the sheer size of them is ridiculous. It’s not like pulling out a 12 volt.

Right, it would have to be an entirely new design. I’m thinking that either you drive over something and a robot would remove the battery and put in the new one. Or the battery could be removed by a robot from the side if the battery was higher. It would involve so much coordination by all of the manufacturers. Or maybe it wouldn’t have to. Each manufacturer would have their own “gas” station. You pull up to Ford and its robot would know how to replace you battery, etc.

Will be years down the road.

Michael Best
    Participant

I am all for going to an EV. We just are not there yet on technology. 5 years from now will be a totally different scenario.

Right now less then 1% of all vehicles on the road are EV. Our grid will need a major overhaul to be able to charge higher percentage of total EV vehicles.

If I am not mistaken Ford advertises 40 amps is needed to charge.

queenswake
    Participant
    NULL

Every time I see a picture of the truck, I keep on just marveling at all of the extra lockable dry storage the hood area gives you. Instead of shoving all of the wheel chocks, ratchet straps, jacks, first aid kit, etc either in a box in the bed or under the rear seats, all of this now goes there. Going on a trip? Can now shove the suitcases, duffels, and boxes of dried food in it and no longer need the tonneau down in the bed.

It just totally changes the game of how you can use the truck and how much stuff you can bring with you.

FinickyFish
    Participant

Every time I see a picture of the truck, I keep on just marveling at all of the extra lockable dry storage the hood area gives you. Instead of shoving all of the wheel chocks, ratchet straps, jacks, first aid kit, etc either in a box in the bed or under the rear seats, all of this now goes there. Going on a trip? Can now shove the suitcases, duffels, and boxes of dried food in it and no longer need the tonneau down in the bed.

It just totally changes the game of how you can use the truck and how much stuff you can bring with you.

Careful now, you start talking nice about EVs on this site they might start calling you queens”Woke” hahahaha smash jester just yanking chains, please don’t ostracize me

BigWerm
    Participant
    SW Metro

Yeah, I doubt they will get the battery tech to a point where it’s a 12v size that can just be swapped out. More likely is the charging tech advances so you recharge in a similar time frame to filling up with gas, or there’s some advancement that enables you to recharge while going down the road, and then you’ll never run out of power! It’s pretty cool tech that really is still in the adolescent stage, just hope I will be able to keep buying Hemi’s.

TheFamousGrouse
    Participant
    St. Paul, MN

This figure is to charge at the fastest recommend charging rate. I can see commercial customers possibly wanting that charge rate but I doubt most consumers will want or need that kind of fast charging ability at home.

Michael Best
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Michael Best wrote:</div>

This figure is to charge at the fastest recommend charging rate. I can see commercial customers possibly wanting that charge rate but I doubt most consumers will want or need that kind of fast charging ability at home.

They have some updated specs since the last time I looked.
    Rapid charging is drawing up to 80 Amps on a 240 volt system.

The 110 volt cord charger can draw up to 30 Amps.

Deuces
    Participant

Want to say all the panels I’ve dug into have 50amp for the Teslas. Fwiw

buckybadger
    Participant
    Upper Midwest

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>queenswake wrote:</div>

Careful now, you start talking nice about EVs on this site they might start calling you queens”Woke” hahahaha smash jester just yanking chains, please don’t ostracize me

This place is getting softer with each passing day. First a few people were allowed to say Covid is real and then others that the MNDNR isn’t the devil, now the site is “indoctrinating” our minds with electric vehicle crap. What a joke. I’ll roll coal in my F350 hauling groceries until the day I die.

Anonymous
    Inactive

make them out of solar panels!! Another thing I laugh at every time I see the commercial, is you can power your house when the grid goes down. Well, how in the f are you going to recharge your truck to keep the house going???

FinickyFish
    Participant

make them out of solar panels!! Another thing I laugh at every time I see the commercial, is you can power your house when the grid goes down. Well, how in the f are you going to recharge your truck to keep the house going???

Umm… the same way you “recharge” a generator, you go get “fuel” somewhere else i.e. a gas station or charging station. The idea isn’t to run your house indefinitely, it’s for a while till the power comes back on.

Rodwork
    Participant
    Farmington, MN

Every time I see a picture of the truck, I keep on just marveling at all of the extra lockable dry storage the hood area gives you.

I agree with you queenswake. I thought the same thing about the storage. That would be nice.

Another thing I laugh at every time I see the commercial, is you can power your house when the grid goes down.

When they say power your house. They only meant the heater blower motor or pump, a couple of lights, and refrigerator.

castle-rock-clown
    Participant

It’s not for everyone, but it’s perfect for some. If you don’t like it or if it doesn’t suit your needs then buy a gasser or diesel. They’re not forcing you to go electric, but it’s an option for those it fits and are willing to spend their money on all the frills.

And think about it, if more EVs are sold, that will mean less gasoline used and more supply of it. And if the laws of supply and demand hold true, the price of gas will go down.

Matt Moen
    Participant
    South Minneapolis

The same guys complaining about EV’s were probably saying fuel injection will fail and they’ll run a quadrajet until the day they die.

I’m all for progress. You guys can keep living in the past.

Now if you’ll excuse, I need to find my Oculus glasses and head on over to the metaverse.

supercat
    Participant
    Eau Claire, WI

Before everyone jumps on the green energy bus I suggest you take some time on go on YouTube and watch planet of the humans. After watching tell me what you think.

castle-rock-clown
    Participant

Before everyone jumps on the green energy bus I suggest you take some time on go on YouTube and watch planet of the humans. After watching tell me what you think.

I’ve been green as long as I can remember…always striving to get more of it in my pocket. Humans will destroy this earth, it’s just a matter of time, unless nature beats us to it.

Michael C. Winther
    Participant
    Reedsburg, WI

here is my Thursday morning golf group:

me: gas RAM 1500, tows a boat ~3000 miles each year
    f1: diesel RAM 2500, tows a camper weekends within 200 miles
    f2: diesel Chevy 2500, heavy local towing for work (tree business)
    f3: diesel Chevy 2500, occasional local towing for work (contractor), tows a camper within 200 miles some weekends, one extended camper trip per year

to say that extended range is the only make-or-break decision point on these trucks is myopic, and it’s arrogant to say these trucks are going to be sold to posers who don’t really need trucks. my friends 1 and 2 could definitely replace their diesels with electric, and friend 3 could consider it – and that’s just a sample of people i happen to know. for me, it’s not practical at this point, but there are lots and lots and lots of folks our there who use trucks as trucks and don’t need the huge range.

supercat
    Participant
    Eau Claire, WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>supercat wrote:</div>

I’ve been green as long as I can remember…always striving to get more of it in my pocket. Humans will destroy this earth, it’s just a matter of time, unless nature beats us to it.

So did you watch the movie?

Jason
    Participant

There is a video online that shows that towing uphill at the Ike Gauntlet the Lighting with the extended range battery has a 40 mile range.
    Good thing it wasnt winter time or it would have been even worse.

BrianF
    Participant

I have a 10-year-old SUV with 212,000 miles so a new vehicle has been on my mind for a couple years now. The idea of an electric vehicle sounds appealing on the surface, but the reality is the technology needed to allow a long boat haul without charging just isn’t there. Without even considering charging issues, I’m guessing that type of battery tech is still 10 years away. So, a new gasoline powered vehicle is going to be ordered soon. The bottom line is that an EV can’t even clear the first hurdle for me – and it sounds like many others too.

Snake ii’s
    Participant

So, how does the EV factor in regards to rolling blackouts?

Rodwork
    Participant
    Farmington, MN

I can see some of the people that own Teslas jumping over. My boss is thinking of it. More room for golf clubs and his bikes. He also doesn’t have to crawl into a low to the ground car that has had problems in deeper snow. Along with being able to carry more stuff with for site visits. He could care less about the towing.

KPE
    Participant
    River Falls, WI

I think Ford really nailed it with maverick, and all of the half ton electric showboating is kind of awful. There’s not much truly innovative about them honestly. Thanks to Tesla’s shortcomings, Ford can advertise a manual truck release as a feature, so at least the entertainment value is there for the rest of us.

docfrigo
    Participant
    Wisconsin

People are banking on cheap electricity- what happens when it rivals gas for price? I am for EV, heck I’d never go back to a gas auger but this is too quick, too fast. Some day, other technologies will make the gas engine obsolete but holding us hostage at the pump is not going to get us there faster. A self sustaining system with minimal charging dependency or hydrogen fuel cell EV generation is a long term solution.

Just wait until the price of electricity goes thu the roof, or to charge faster requires a higher payment… Let the technology evolve at a realistic rate. Lithium is a finite resource, nor does it bode well to us being energy independent if it’s outsourced from another country. Next, there will be wars over that.

CaptainMusky
    Participant

hydrogen fuel cell EV generation is a long term solution.

Toyota was working on fuel cell engines for years, but scrapped it. Not sure why.

Reef W
    Participant

I am for EV, heck I’d never go back to a gas auger but this is too quick, too fast.

Honestly not sure what could be slower than introducing one pickup while every gas option continues to be available.

munchy
    Participant
    NULL

Those 85 mile road trips are the best!

Musky Ed
    Participant

Nice truck for those that really don’t need a truck. As to charge times quoted of 30 to 45 min, that’s a deal breaker even if you were the only one pulling up to the charger. Good luck on that one, I can see the lines forming to get to use a charger. 30 min to charge, 3 hr wait to use that charger. If you have more than one electric vehicle at home, good luck with your 200 Amp service. With how few electric vehicles there are, Texas is already asking owners not to charge their vehicles durring hot weather. Will it get worked out in the future, sure, but in the future and at a cost and sacrifice.

Dutchboy
    Participant
    Central Mn.

Takes a forklift to lift a battery for a 24 volt forklift. I doubt there will be any battery swapping going on.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 61 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.