Ford Lighting Review

• Charles

Pretty Dang neat.

BTW how in the hell do people afford a 65K if that most order version of this truck.

TH

I have a Volkswagen ID.4 on order. Not because I’m some greenie. It’s because most trips are a mile or two to town. We are killing our gas engines. It’s also a fun new toy for a grocery getter. We’ll still keep a gas truck for towing.

I bought Atlis trucks stock on the initial offering of $.29 a share. Hope that pays off someday. Looks like they better get their trucks out soon.

Browndog
    Omaha, NE

Cool features…but dang. A 300 mile range on a 10 hour trip towing a boat would suck. I just can’t see it…does that trip now become a 15-20 hour trip with 3-4 charges?

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Yep cool truck for in town guys that don’t ever want to go fishing or hunting any distance away from home. I will pass for now.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

No infrastructure=no sense. Im not opposed to ev once it can support at least the same level of service as gas. Distance and refueling times. I can see it working now for those with a short commute and extra money to afford this luxury.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

You can’t call it a truck with an independent rear suspension. But I guess that is why ½ of these that Ford is selling are going to people who never owned a truck before.

Coletrain27

No infrastructure=no sense. Im not opposed to ev once it can support at least the same level of service as gas. Distance and refueling times. I can see it working now for those with a short commute and extra money to afford this luxury.

agreed

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Cool features…but dang. A 300 mile range on a 10 hour trip towing a boat would suck. I just can’t see it…does that trip now become a 15-20 hour trip with 3-4 charges?

It will add 45 min to every 300 miles to recharge. I just don’t think you will get 300 miles per charge towing a boat.

Coletrain27

i wonder what the actual mileage would be in -30 temps and heater running non stop in mn

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

They probably are the future for most applications – just not the immediate future. I can see why auto manufacturers are getting their ducks in a row and releasing models but they will still be a niche product for some time. Some of the products and the features are pretty cool. The torque that some relatively small electric motors can produce is impressive.

I agree with Suzuki that EVs are an infrastructure project first and foremost. I wouldn’t buy a gasoline/diesel truck before fuel stations were developed and widespread. The same can be said for EVs and charging networks.

Justin riegel

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Browndog wrote:</div>

It will add 45 min to every 300 miles to recharge. I just don’t think you will get 300 miles per charge towing a boat.

I would guess you would closer to 150 and who wants to take the risk of running out so you are probably at 100 miles. it has its place in suburbs, but is not uesful for some that actually wants a truck.

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

i wonder what the actual mileage would be in -30 temps and heater running non stop in mn

A couple 13, 14

Jason

They claim winter time and trailers will cut the 300-320 mile range in half. So figure a stop every 2 hrs of driving to recharge.The last 20% of the battery takes alot longer to charge as well so if your in a hurry and on the go you will only have approx 75% of usable battery. With that math you have a 112 mile range with a enclosed snowmobile trailer.

CaptainMusky

The people that buy one of these are the same people that buy a Jeep and the only time it sees offroad is backing over the flower garden coming out of the driveway.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

If anyone is interested, I have one on reserve that I’m not taking delivery on.
    You can have my reservation.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Rodwork wrote:
    You can’t call it a truck with an independent rear suspension.

What do you call Rams then?

I thought under a tow load, independent rear suspensions cause under steer. That is not good for anyone who wants to tow with it, better for people who what a truck with a better ride and not use it. I didn’t think Ram has independent rear suspensions on their trucks. The only reason to go to independent rear would be to make more room for the battery.

CaptainMusky

I didn’t think Ram has independent rear suspensions on their trucks. The only reason to go to independent rear would be to make more room for the battery.

Yeah they did that several years ago. They do have air bags though so that might remedy what you are talking about.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Progress doesn’t happen if we settle for the status quo. The EV infrastructure needs development, and early EVs will certainly not tow 10K lb trailers 600 miles in arctic temperatures, but this is how the process works. There are bound to be failures along the way, but scientists and engineers will learn from them and improve upon previous generations.

5 years ago 99+% of you laughed at the idea of a battery powered auger. Now, many of you will never go back to gas.

If you feel the need to sit here and pee and moan about how EVs will never live up to your standards, get out and go fishing instead.

CaptainMusky

5 years ago 99+% of you laughed at the idea of a battery powered auger. Now, many of you will never go back to gas.

An electric auger is a far different animal than an electric truck. Cars I can see, but I just dont see this being practical for people who tow a lot. How would I charge my truck when I am parked at the boat ramp all week in Canada? Would I plug it in and leave and then hope I come back to a fully charged truck?

Coletrain27

An electric auger is a far different animal than an electric truck. Cars I can see, but I just dont see this being practical for people who tow a lot. How would I charge my truck when I am parked at the boat ramp all week in Canada? Would I plug it in and leave and then hope I come back to a fully charged truck?

Just keep a generator in the back of your truck

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Comparing a truck to a auger is a new one I haven’t heard lol.

But these trucks are for groceries and running around mpls. Not for towing.
    One day they will be there. But until then, most people garages aren’t equipped to run a welder let alone charge a ev. The power supply is really a weak point. But obviously it’s being pushed and will continue to grow.

Deuces

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>CaptainMusky wrote:</div>

Or a “tow package” eventually that might add another set of batteries to the vehicle doubling every rating. Who knows, we aren’t there yet. Where we are at is making electric vehicles for the large majority of whom these new truck drivers will be going, to suburban moms and dads who don’t tow $hit except kids, bikes, and bags of mulch.

We need to stop trying to throw out the smallest of situations and blanketing it over the whole thing.

CaptainMusky

The generator would likely get stolen the second I left the lot. LOL

Reef W

I’m not going to buy this because it doesn’t fit my use case. Seems important to let everybody else know that. whistling

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

You guys really flowering know everything.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

The people that buy one of these are the same people that buy a Jeep and the only time it sees offroad is backing over the flower garden coming out of the driveway.

So basically the target market is the same as 95+% of the current market that buys 1/2 ton pickups and uses them as suburban commuter cars/grocery getters? The most off road the average 1/2 ton pickup buyer will ever go is the overflow parking at the country club.

Progress doesn’t happen if we settle for the status quo. The EV infrastructure needs development, and early EVs will certainly not tow 10K lb trailers 600 miles in arctic temperatures, but this is how the process works. There are bound to be failures along the way, but scientists and engineers will learn from them and improve upon previous generations.

If you feel the need to sit here and pee and moan about how EVs will never live up to your standards, get out and go fishing instead.

This is exactly right.

If you compare the development timeline of the electric car to that of the gasoline car, we are not even to the Model T era in terms of the development of the electric car and the infrastructure that goes with it.

Was there a Super American on every corner before the Model T?

queenswake
    NULL

I know it will never happen, but it sure would be nice if all manufacturers got together and agreed to have a common battery in all of the vehicles. That way gas stations would turn into battery swap places. Pull up, pull out your battery, put in a fully charged one and go. Then plug in and charge only at home or your destination.

But I know this will never happen because battery longevity is what each make will be working on in order to stand out from the others. That will become the key differentiator.

FinickyFish

Don’t know why everyone says they don’t have trucks that can tow any sort of distance. The Cybertruck I’ve got a deposit on has a 700 mile range. If it gets 350 miles towing that’ll cover any lake in the state I want to get to. If it takes 30-45 min to charge on longer trips so be it. It saves me the countless hours of never having to go to a gas station again. Hell, it takes 10 min to fill my f150 nowadays. The infrastructure will come and there’s plenty built out already.

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

I know it will never happen, but it sure would be nice if all manufacturers got together and agreed to have a common battery in all of the vehicles. That way gas stations would turn into battery swap places. Pull up, pull out your battery, put in a fully charged one and go. Then plug in and charge only at home or your destination.

But I know this will never happen because battery longevity is what each make will be working on in order to stand out from the others. That will become the key differentiator.

That there is a million dollar idea. No doubt some bugs to work out, but somebody will do it.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 61 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.