For those headed to north eastern MN…

• TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I just returned from checking in on my farm in the Hinckley, MN area. For those heading north with ideas of ice fishing, snowmobiling, cross-country skiing, etc, here’s some info.

Many areas north of Pine City got heavy freezing rain before the snow hit last week. Trees are bent over or broken off everywhere. In addition to the snow (15 to 24 inches on the ground in East Central MN, more as you go north toward Duluth) there is a layer of ice under the snow making it almost impossible to get traction no matter what kind of vehicle you have. Be very careful because if your route has a hill, you may be able to go down and then not be able to get back up the hill again on the way out.

Be aware you may need a chainsaw to clear your driveway if you have a cabin or other property. Trees are bent over or broken off from the ice.

Snowmobile trails may be listed as “open” on websites, but many are not passable because of downed trees.

Bottom line is get reliable local info before you go north so you know what to expect. Make absolutely sure you have winter survival gear and good shovels and other gear to get unstuck. Don’t get into any place you can’t get out of.

CaptainMusky

Good head’s up Grouse! Im worried about the trees with all the frozen snow on them when this nasty wind comes!

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Real nice start to Winter applause

Dan
    Southeast MN

Real nice start to Winter

Trying to be positive here, at least it’s December 20th and we’re just now using the phrase “start of winter.”

tim hurley

Love ice fishing, but open water is waaaaay easier, no matter what!

The_Bladepuller
    South end

Lots of timber has been damaged.
    What I’m seeing is the snow actually helps traction wise as long as you don’t think spinning your wheels is the ticket.
    Then again I’m in a Defender SxS

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Pictures from my farm.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20221220_113652557-scaled.jpg

2. IMG_20221220_120648220-scaled.jpg

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

My brother’s property north of pine is ugly as well. Trees down all over in the woods and the rest are slouching. Took the truck down in the woods Sunday morning, almost and I mean almost regretted that idea, snow was deep.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Nw wis is the same. My area is also a mess off road. So much for sledding next week.

Gitchi Gummi

I echo everything Grouse said. Duluth and the surrounding arrowhead region is an absolute mess with how much snow we’ve got in the last few weeks. I can only imagine how bad the snowmobile trails are considering how many trees are down everywhere from the weight of the snow. Another blast of snow coming today – the snowblower and plow are sure getting a workout this winter.

I’m nervous how the gunflint lakes are holding up for lake trout opener coming up. Definitely going to be a year where snowshoes are needed to keep your feet out of the slush. I’ve heard the local Duluth reservoir lakes are a mess with the slush. Going to be a tough year to ice fish for many people. I’m thankful I was able to get on an awesome panfish bite in early December to scratch the ice fishing itch.

CaptainMusky

Pictures from my farm.

Its pretty, but man, that is going to be a mess with the forecasted wind. Hopefully it wont be too bad.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Unfortunately the snow sticking to trees did not take out any of the about 15 dead ash I have left to cut. Once they’re on the ground I can let a hired kid from down the road buck them and chunk them to save me time. Maybe the wind the next couple days will do the trick.

One of the local snowmobile trails runs across some of our property, and I spent a few hours out there cutting last week before the snow in an attempt to be proactive. The places that had not had any clearing/pruning before the snow are now a big mess as everyone has said. I don’t snowmobile anymore, but feel for the people who are putting in time and have the rare opportunity for trails to open in December being blocked by fallen trees.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I don’t snowmobile anymore, but feel for the people who are putting in time and have the rare opportunity for trails to open in December being blocked by fallen trees.

All the years we wait for an early winter to ride then it happens like this.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

I was just up in Virginia yesterday. Like Grouse said lots of broken off trees next to the road. On the bright side it was one of the most beautiful drives I’ve taken in a long time.

Attachments:
    1. 20221220_112028-scaled.jpg

2. 20221220_120505-scaled.jpg

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

Group of us heading to Grand Marais over new years snowmobiling, excited to go as it has been a while since I have been riding up there. Hopefully downed trees don’t cause too much of a problem. If anyone has been or will be up on that area I would be curious on how the trails are.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

Not in the Gunflint area but I heard from a friend that the snowmobile club up by Tamarack went out to clear trails and it took them 8 hours to clear 3 miles of trail. If it’s like that everywhere it will take all winter to get the trails opened up.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Not in the Gunflint area but I heard from a friend that the snowmobile club up by Tamarack went out to clear trails and it took them 8 hours to clear 3 miles of trail. If it’s like that everywhere it will take all winter to get the trails opened up.

Heard about similar time vs miles story from a NW sled club.

Gitchi Gummi

Group of us heading to Grand Marais over new years snowmobiling, excited to go as it has been a while since I have been riding up there. Hopefully downed trees don’t cause too much of a problem. If anyone has been or will be up on that area I would be curious on how the trails are.

I’m assuming you’re going up the hill from town and down the trail a ways? check out hungry jack’s facebook page – I believe they posted a video or update of the trails a day or two ago.

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>weedis wrote:</div>

I’m assuming you’re going up the hill from town and down the trail a ways? check out hungry jack’s facebook page – I believe they posted a video or update of the trails a day or two ago.

I will take a look, thanks

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

Sounds similar in the Cumberland WI area. This is from last Saturday morning a couple hundred yards north on Cty H from Hwy 63. Wasn’t snowing or blowing Saturday morning but this tree decided to take a dirt nap. Guessing a few others will not like the additional snow we are getting now and will get later before the blow starts. Been too tired moving snow to even check the ice and fish. 2 weekends ago, we had 6 inches of ice. I’m guessing the slush will be brutal.

Attachments:
    1. snow.jpg

Rick Z
    Stark MN

All of the trails in Danbury area are still closed as they remove the trees. THe Rush City Sno Bugs buried a Ranger in a swamp. It is an interesting start to the riding year. Hopefully this new lighter snow and cold weather locks everything up and we can get riding!!

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Resurrecting this thread to update in case this helps anyone out.

I was at my farm in the Hinckley area again last weekend. I would estimate there are 24-30 inches of snow at the farm and it is still fairly loose snow so drifting and filling in low spots is a problem.

There are very large snow berms left by the snowplows on many county/township roads. My driveway had a 4-5 foot tall plow berm across it, so just to get the snowmobile in, we had to shovel a path through the plow berm. Then I promptly got stuck in the drift on the other side before I could get any momentum.

I talked to quite a few local friends while I was up there. Here’s the takeaways I heard.

Ice Fishing: Parking is a major hassle near some lakes because the deep snow and slush issues are preventing many from driving onto the ice as they normally would and high snow berms left by plows are taking up a lot of space on the shoulder of narrow rural roads. ATV use is very limited and don’t go anywhere without a shovel because you’re going to get stuck. Be careful using trail snowmobiles for ice fishing, there is really deep snow on the edges and in sheltered areas of some lakes.

Wheelhouse guys especially are getting pinched in tight access places when they find out they can’t drive onto the lake as intended. It can be a real b!tch trying to find a place to turn these big rigs around.

Also, put your ego in check when it comes to just sending it thinking your big ol’ half tunny can go anywhere, even when pulling the ice castle. There have been some real clustef###s with guys thinking a pickup truck is basically unstoppable and finding out that it ain’t.

Snowmobiles – Lots of different clubs and groups are still doing trail clearing or widening work to get rid of downed trees from December ice damage. Find local advice for the trails you intend to ride.

If you’re heading off-trail, note that there is very deep snow in some places so it’s more like mountain conditions. I got stuck 4 times on a long track machine because I had to stop or turn around due to blocked trails at my farm. If you go off a groomed trail or get hemmed in by downed trees, it can be a real workout. Have shovels and tow straps available.

Cabins – same comments about issues with downed trees across driveways, etc. If you go up to your cabin, be ready for really deep snow and trees across the driveway. Have plenty of tow straps and ropes available in case you get into something you shouldn’t have.

Hopefully this helps somebody out.

Ripjiggen

Thanks Grouse. Sounds like you needed to send that sled over the berm with someone taking pics. toast

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Just have to grip it and rip it. It’s been kind of nice not having all the people coming up this way. I tried the grip and rip method with my half ton a couple days ago on the land north of pine. It worked but it isn’t what I would recommend. I got stuck multiple times but never had to get out and shovel. The atv is useless right now. Debating on buying a sled. If I do though we will only get 5 inches of snow next season

Brittman

Carlton county same as the original post above. Trees down … a mess.

Brittman

The sled heads are having an epic and prime snowmobile season in the metro area. I am really surprised at how few people snowmobile these groomed trails anymore.

stout93
    Becker MN

The sled heads are having an epic and prime snowmobile season in the metro area. I am really surprised at how few people snowmobile these groomed trails anymore.

Once the trails get beaten down to where there’s no powder left I usually stay off them…I guess I’m just too anal about the high temps on my sled..

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Thanks Grouse. Sounds like you needed to send that sled over the berm with someone taking pics.

That’d be awesome. Then in the air I could yell, “Larry Enticer eat my shorts!”.

Right before my vintage touring sled broke in half upon landing, thus ensuring my place in Fail Army’s latest video.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

The only person who can say that to Larry is Ronnie Mac

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.