Football or Carolina that is the question.

• tim hurley

So you have found a nice rocky sunken island what would you lead off with? Saw some vid where a guy uses heavier chatterbaits in that situation, with a big craw like trailer. Thanks

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

The C-rig is kind of a forgotten technique. It still catches lots of fish but doesn’t seen to get used much these days. The football or rock jig was hot for a few years but also doesn’t seem to get talked about anymore. To me the question comes down to two factors. 1. what type of rock we talking? Small chunk rock or bigger boulders. 2. what do the fish seen to be feeding on. The size of the rock will help you decide what bait you can fish without getting hung up to often. If the rocks are big or has lots of crevices both may get hung up. The bigger factor to me is what the bass seem to be feeding on. if you think mostly crayfish then I’d say the Football jig is the better option as this is what the football jig is designed to look like. If feeding on minnow baitfish I think the C-rig gives you more options and depending on what bait is attached you can either fish the lure dragging on the bottom or if using a floating bait fish it raised up more off the bottom. I’d fish both and let the fish tell you what they prefer. I’ve always had better luck with the football jig later in the season. Late summer into early fall.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I tried the C rig for a day last week. I had a tough time getting the feel of it. I was just dragging it around slowly (which is admittedly hard for me to do) and I didn’t have any bites which didn’t help. I’ll give it another shot and hopefully it’ll be better. I think fishing overall was tough last week through the weekend.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

So you have found a nice rocky sunken island what would you lead off with? Saw some vid where a guy uses heavier chatterbaits in that situation, with a big craw like trailer. Thanks

Finesse jig and trailer or tube jig hoping the rocks.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Those 2 both seem to locate big largies and smallies when they are on the rocks. Black with watermelon flake tube does me wonders. Fishing with grubson as often as I do, I’ve learned to downsize my jig. Some times big football jigs work. But that guy can make a small finese jig work any where and, I’ve bought in to them now and love throwing them

FryDog62

I use both at different times and locations… but best to experiment. Agree with thumper above if the fish are keying more on craws then typically use a football jig. If worms are the deal I will use a floating worm Like a T-mac on a Carolina rig. That being said, I’ve probably used the Flying Squirrel on a C-rig more than anything in the past couple years – catches both LMB and smallies. Not sure what category a squirrel falls into, but the fish say it tastes like chicken ~

Location makes a difference for me. If its an expansive flat or long sunken point, I feel like I can cover more water faster/efficiently using a C-rig. If its more of an isolated area, I’ll drag the football jig/craw and see if anyone is home.

Once I do find them, I will many times downsize to the dreaded Nerd Rig and clean ’em up!

tim hurley

Thanks Fry, was waiting for you to jump in.

tim hurley

Ok, what’s the difference between a Ned & a Nerd???

FryDog62

Tim, have you used either yet?

ssaamm
    Pequot Lakes

I used it quite a bit on the River N of Brainerd last year. A buddy who is a much better fisherman than me turned me on to it. Goofy to cast, but rocky areas it shines.

tim hurley

Sssaam Carolina?
    Not yet Fry-I have one lake in mind for both and have not made it out there yet.

ssaamm
    Pequot Lakes

I wasn’t clear. Carolina rig and chigger craw. September and October.

FryDog62

Went to one of the few west metro lakes with a couple large flats with broken/chunk rock. Switched off between Football jig and Carolina Rig… Football outfished about 2 to 1 but the C-Rig caught 3 over 5 pounds.

The bass absolutely HATE the Flying Squirrel and usually hit it on the pause. Annihilated the hook and almost straightened out on the biggest one at 5 lbs 13 ounces… just as the rain hit!

Attachments:
    1. 6BEBB858-1B25-49BE-9629-9F4C3B8E3B44-scaled.jpeg

2. F7585C22-87CC-4CA1-9DD2-FD80FC231D11-scaled.jpeg

3. 460ED2BB-DF1C-4775-8DA9-EE891BF5B05A.jpeg

4. 83B5D40B-0C1F-4894-BBC1-CF00EC8BA7B9-scaled.jpeg

5. 0ACBB7D7-4E8D-41F8-A025-3614F3299C48-scaled.jpeg

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Went to one of the few west metro lakes with a couple large flats with broken/chunk rock. Switched off between Football jig and Carolina Rig… Football outfished about 2 to 1 but the C-Rig caught 3 over 5 pounds.

The <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>bass absolutely HATE the Flying Squirrel and usually hit it on the pause. Annihilated the hook and almost straightened out on the biggest one at 5 lbs 13 ounces… just as the rain hit!

Well done. Great looking really healthy fish. 3 over 5. That’s a incredible day. Looks like you earned it with the weather conditions. Way to battle through the conditions. I’ll put up with those conditions for bass like that anyday !!!

tim hurley

West Metro! You went to my lake! I’ll see hook wounds shaped like: Fry was here.
    PM sent!

robby
    Quad Cities

For Smallies, try a surface lure, like a Spook or popper. Those smallies will come up a long ways and crush a surface lure. Regardless of time of day. Crazy fun.

FryDog62

Fishthumper wrote:
    “Well done. Great looking really healthy fish. 3 over 5. That’s a incredible day. Looks like you earned it with the weather conditions. Way to battle through the conditions. I’ll put up with those conditions for <em class=”ido-tag-em”>bass like that anyday !!!“
    —————-
    It was kind of like that scene out of Caddyshack where the priest is golfing his best game ever as the rain intensifies. I did break off right at the end and resisted yelling “Rat-F%#*!” and getting a lightning bolt to the melon… jester

Here is one of the other 5 pounders – –

Attachments:
    1. 6A4F3769-EAC9-49BE-847E-D034318A4A64-scaled.jpeg

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Did that hawg bend the hook out?

FryDog62

Did that hawg bend the hook out?

Very close… if I didn’t have a barb I’m sure I would’ve lost it (literally and figuratively)!

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Ned rig or a drop shot

That kind of talk is grounds for banishment. But seriously, this thread is which is better, Crig or football jig. The drop and ned are great in the summer obviously.

FryDog62

“That kind of talk is grounds for banishment.”

Now that thar is funny..! rotflol

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

That kind of talk is grounds for banishment.

Haha. That was pretty good. And pretty much true too.

tim hurley

Fry! went to Capras & Thorne Bros looking for a white football and a white craw, no luck, lemme guess should have gone to Tackle Warehouse right? Anyway I have a white skirt and a white trailer, so I should be able to put something together. God & wife willing I’ll give this approach a try tomorrow, I’ll report if I do well. Clinton asked: will you resepct the results of the election?Trump Answer: I will if I win. Politics aside I will get back to you.

FryDog62

I think I picked up both the football jig heads and Hula Grubs at Wayzata Bait. Dick’s or Scheels probably has them too.

I have heard the jigs have been discontinued, but I have used these (local) ones too from Swagger… https://swaggertackle.com/new-football-jigs/

1/2 ounce seems to work best, 5 inch on the Hula Grubs (any color could work). Tell us how you do!

Attachments:
    1. AB02F27B-3330-4E59-AA41-42CC16016AB3.jpeg

2. 299D408B-7C2D-4539-A437-55A4DFB73395.jpeg

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.