Follow the Contour not working any more (Helix 9 MSI+ v2.760)

• Bart

Hi gents,

Pretty new here, having a burning question on my Helix 9 MSI+. Especially on the Follow the Contour function in combination with AutoChart Live maps (on a Zeroline SD card) and my MinnKota Terrova 80lbs with iPilot Link (with latest software). Here’s what happened.

A few weeks ago I updated my Helix to v2.750. Since then, Follow the Contour was not showing up any more in my GO TO menu. So I contacted HB Support, and they didn’t had an answer for me. Except bringing my unit to a local dealer. Didn’t do that since I was pretty sure that it was a software related issue. Then I noticed the newer v2.760 version, where I found “Fixed an issue where Follow the Contour would not work correctly with AutoChart Live Contours” in the release notes. Did the upgrade, and FtC was back working again. All good so far, and I really used it for quite a few weeks.

Then I took my unit to the local dealer since one of the SD-card slots wasn’t working any more. The locking mechanism was broken, so when I put in a card it was spitted out immediately by the unit. So I unplugged my unit it and took it to the dealer. The dealer would replace the SD-card slot, but in the end he replaced the whole front, including screen and keypad. But, it all worked. Until I was back on the water again, testing my unit and SD-cards (1. Navionics chart and 2. Zeroline SD card for ACL). I discovered that FtC wasn’t working any more on my ACL map. Did a factory reset on the water but didn’t help me out. Still v2.760 was on my unit, Motor Navigation was On, all navigation was cancelled, prop was on, ACL chart was displayed, selected contour was within ¼ mile, all stuff was succesfully connected (Accessory Test). The GO TO menu showed everything, except Follow the Contour. And the only change compared to when it was still working is the replacement of the front of the unit.

Any suggestions what could have caused this a/o how to fix it? Thanks in advance!

Karry Kyllo

I feel your pain. I use follow the contour all the time when trolling if I can. I love it and have gotten to where I much prefer using follow the contour when trolling.

I’d try a few things.

i-Pilot Link is very voltage sensitive. I’m guessing voltage to your trolling motor is just fine but I’d check it first.

Try loading v2.760 again even though it still says it has v2.760. Maybe something was corrupted in the process at the dealer’s? Worth a try and something seems to be software related.

When you say the prop was on, do you mean that it the prop on your trolling motor was on or the prop on your screen showed that it was turning or just that the little prop symbol showed up on your display?

Maybe the Zeroline card got somehow corrupted? I know that it shows the contours but do you have an opportunity to try it with another LakeMaster card that’s i-Pilot Link compatible or even a lake nearby to try it? It’d be something else to try.

That’s all I can think of.

Bart

Hi Karry,

Thanks for your reply. Theres no life without Follow the Contuor )

I will try some of your options. Lakemaster maps are not supported in my region, since theres no water covered with Lakemaster maps. Unfortunately.

With the prop was on actually I meant all of your suggestions. So, the actual prop was on for sure, because I moved a little forward. And so was my unit and my MinnKota remote telling me. Tried several times, so no room for mistakes )

Can go back to my dealer as well to downgrade my unit so I can reinstall the 2760. Or try to put my zeroline in a unit of a friend of mine. Thanks for your suggestions, they will take me a bit closer to a solution I hope!

Gregg Gunter

I’m not sure if this will help but I had the problem today where “follow the contour” was not an option. I learned that the cursor has to be placed right on a contour line in order to have that option. So a lake that isn’t mapped won’t give you the option. Correct me if I’m wrong, still learning

Karry Kyllo

Your lake must be mapped to some extent or you wouldn’t see contours but it won’t give you the “follow the contour” option if you aren’t using a HD map or an AutoChart Live map.

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

I ran into the same thing on my last trip to LotW…couldn’t get the FtC option to come up as normal. (Lakemaster chip and an AutoChart chip installed.) I use it a lot, just not up there, so I just ignored the issue and kept fishing, but this reminds me. Looks like I should probably do a software update…

Bart

After lots of contact with dealer and Humminbird, I finally ‘fixed’ it myselves today. Apparantly there’s a bug in software version 2.760. Autochart Live on top of a Navionics map hides the FtC option in the GoTo menu for some reason. When basemap or auto is selected as map source, it’s working fine. Will feed it back to HB next week. Thanks for your help guys.

Ron
    Victoria, mn

I love my Birds, but I think the talent pool in Eufala, Alabama is a little shallow and once in a while one of their divers miscalculates and paralyzes stuff. And the Minn-Kota stuff is coming out of Mankato….. laugh

Umy
    South Metro

Hey,I resent that-born and raised in Mankato (pronounced ManKa too) toast toast
    I do like my Follow the Coiunter but don’t use it much.
    Glad you got it figured out

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.