Fold away trailer hinge

• gary d
    Participant
    cordova,il

Has anybody bought one of the fold away trailer hinge after market product. What are the pro or con’s of this product. I just need a little more room in front of the garage door. Thank’s

mojogunter
    Participant

I know a couple of guys that installed aftermarket swing tongues and they work fine. They got them from rigid hitch. Biggest thing is make sure your cut is straight.

Ralph Wiggum
    Participant
    Maple Grove, MN

Yep. No cons from me. All pros. I did it, and it’s a great solution. The guy that stored my boat in the winter always commented that he loved it, too.

Hot Runr Guy
    Participant
    West Chicago, IL

Yeap, I added one a couple of seasons ago. Fairly easy to do, no down-side that I’m aware of.

Made a couple of minor changes, to “tighten” it up a little. Used a high-grade 16mm bolt on the pivot side, and a hitch pin from Farm & Fleet. Both are just a few thousandths larger than the OEM-supplied parts, so they fit the holes better.

HRG

Attachments:
    1. 000_0886-1.jpg

2. 000_0887-1.jpg

3. 000_0887.jpg

4. 000_0886.jpg

catnip
    Participant
    south metro

They work great. Your arms will be tired after drilling all 16 holes hahaha!

gary d
    Participant
    cordova,il

Thanks all for the info. I will be getting one! Thanks Hot for the pictures. I was wondering how close a person could put the hinge. By your picture it help me out. Thanks all again.

gary

primitive
    Participant
    Davenport, Iowa

The one pictured looks more solid and stronger than the one I installed seven years ago. Catnip is right, drilling the holes, especially on the bottom was the hardest part but well worth it in the end.

Ralph Wiggum
    Participant
    Maple Grove, MN

Yes, drilling the holes sucks. Use a corded drill or have several batteries on hand!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.