Floating ice fishing suits

• grizzly
    nebraska

How many of you guys wear them and what brands are best

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Yep. I wear the Clam Ascent suit. They have a few different models. Striker, Strikemaster, Eskimo all make float suits I believe. They all seem like good quality from what I’ve seen.

Sconybubba

Striker climate for me. Warmest I have ever been on the ice. The removable liner in the bibs and the coat liner are great for warmer days.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I wear a striker climate as well. Very warm I will be comfortable in extreme cold and wind if I put my back to it. But it is a bit bulky. My set is 4 or 5 years old. I am not nice to it. Besides a burn hole on my bottom left leg, it’s held up great. Damn heater accident.
    But all the brands look very nice now days. buddy bought a new clam suit last week. It looks very nice.

My only complaint,is to many dang pockets. I loose my lighter, waxies, and such often and do the every pocket check. Then my hands get cold lol.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I wear a striker climate as well. Very warm I will be comfortable in extreme cold and wind if I put my back to it. But it is a bit bulky. My set is 4 or 5 years old. I am not nice to it. Besides a burn hole on my bottom left leg, it’s held up great. Damn heater accident.
    But all the brands look very nice now days. buddy bought a new clam suit last week. It looks very nice.

My only complaint,is to many dang pockets. I loose my lighter, waxies, and such often and do the every pocket check. Then my hands get cold lol.

HAHA…I feel like I never can find my keys, waxies, plastics, anything. Have 7 pockets they could be in!

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

I have a set of Striker Hardwater a bit bulky but they are great .

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Striker climate in the camo

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

If we fish together they won’t be able to see us

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Striker Predator.No complaints here.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have the lightest striker jacket they make, not sure the name & some other brand of bibs, (having a brain FRT) maybe clam I think. Happy with both, in fact my jacket is almost too warm, I have the arm pit vents open all the time. If you get cold in this newer gear, I would suggest to move south. They are incredible.

grizzly
    nebraska

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Denny O wrote:</div>

lol I was going to ask if you catch more fish in the camo. Thanks for the info guys

Denny O
    Central IOWA

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Denny O wrote:</div>

If we fish together, I’ll need one rope tied to us so I could find you. jester

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Ice Armor Lift

CaptainMusky

Striker Climate for me. Love it. Wear the parka liner year round. The only gripe I have is the breast pocket in the bibs is not made for man sized hands. I cant get my hand in there so if I slip something into it I cannot get it back out.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I don’t know if all suits have this pocket but I wouldn’t get one if it didn’t.
    It is SOOO handy for your cell phone, easy access and keeps it warm. I keep my cheaters there also.

Attachments:
    1. Lift.jpg

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Agree EPG, I have the Ice Armor also and that pocket is awesome. I use it for my keys, never loose them.

CaptainMusky

I don’t know if all suits have this pocket but I wouldn’t get one if it didn’t.
    It is SOOO handy for your cell phone, easy access and keeps it warm. I keep my cheaters there also.

Its great for a cell phone, provided you zip it shut. I had my phone in that pocket on my striker. Then my buddy decided to act like a 2 year old when I was unhooking my 24″ walleye which tangled his line and he was tugging away on it and I leaned forward which sent my phone right down the hole.

TH

I have a clam suit. I haven’t tested the float part and I hope I never need it. I have heard if you break through the ice wearing only the bibs, it’s difficult to keep your head up as your legs want to float. Anyone hear or witness this? So wear both the bibs and jacket.

Erik Swenson

Climate for years. Been a good suit and versatile.

Agreed Pout! Climate Jacket has that chest pocket concealed in the zipper too and another slick little pocket on the left sleeve.

tswoboda

I have a set of Striker Hardwater a bit bulky but they are great .

I have a set of Striker Hardwater. A bit bulky, extremely heavy, and I almost never wear them. I wear Predator bibs and a down puffy jacket 90% of the time.

Last couple years I’ve ditched the float suit and wear an inflatable pfd for early/late ice. It’s amazing the amount of weird looks I get from guys sweating their balls off in float suits.

picklerick
    Central WI

I also have the Striker Hardwater. Almost never need the jacket on. Probably end up getting something lighter but a hoodie and long undershirt works well most days.

Steve Johnson

I have Striker Predator. Plenty warm for me, and I would not want anything thicker or heavier to walk in. I put my phone in the vest pocket, but I use a fishing lanyard on the case to make sure it does not fall down the hole.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Climate suit for me. Love it.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I have a clam suit. I haven’t tested the float part and I hope I never need it. I have heard if you break through the ice wearing only the bibs, it’s difficult to keep your head up as your legs want to float. Anyone hear or witness this? So wear both the bibs and jacket.

Haven’t seen it demonstrated but I know most of the main companies claim you will still stay floating with just bibs. Not sure on the difficulty of it.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Striker Predator Bibs only here, and they’re extremely warm without much layering on the lower half underneath.

I wear a jacket ice fishing on about 1/15 outings – usually only if I’m riding a machine for a long distance on big trips (URL, Mille Lacs, etc). There’s no point in wasting the money on that component of the suit for me. My typical fishing I’m on the river on ice less than 10-12″, walking through brush, rip rap, islands, etc. where machines cannot go. I’m sweating by the time I get there and keep moving if I get cold. A jacket would just be something to carry.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

After getting my Gale pullover I rarely wear my jacket. That pullover keeps me plenty warm down to single digits.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

After getting my Gale pullover I rarely wear my jacket. That pullover keeps me plenty warm down to single digits.

How do these fit size wise? I’ve been looking but have never put one on. Do you wear them just like a hoodie beneath your bibs?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.