FlameKing Bottle Question

• biggill
    Participant
    East Bethel, MN

Yes, another thread.

I just received 3 of these bottles today and notice 2 of them have a rattle like a small bb is inside them. I guess I wouldn’t question it but it’s only 2 of 3. Is it supposed to rattle or isn’t it?

Coletrain27
    Participant

None of my 6 have any rattle

biggill
    Participant
    East Bethel, MN

I just emailed them. Not expecting a speedy response though.

catnip
    Participant
    south metro

I have 4 and I don’t think I have ever heard them rattle. Who did you get them from?

biggill
    Participant
    East Bethel, MN

Scheels.

Tlazer
    Participant

I think my order from Scheel’s might arrive today. I will check mine and post what I find.

biggill
    Participant
    East Bethel, MN

I’d have to imagine once there’s propane inside you’ll never notice but as someone who works with hydraulics I find debris like this very concerning.

Huntindave
    Participant
    Shell Rock Iowa

Is it supposed to rattle or isn’t it?

I have two older tanks and four new tanks that I just received today. None of my tanks “rattle”. My concern would be, the rattle indicates a foreign material inside the tank, which at some point in time may get lodged in the tank valve.
    I did have a Flame King tank from a few years ago develop a leak thru the valve. The valve would not close completely when disconnected.

JoeMX1825
    Participant
    MN

1 of my recently delivered tanks from Scheels has what sounds like a mini BB in it, I suspect its just welding slag…

CaptainMusky
    Participant

Mine came the other day and none of them rattle. It’s a bit tricky to fill you really have to make sure you line up the cutout or gas pours out while filling. Emptied the 20 pound tank and didn’t even fully fill 1 bottle LOL

Tlazer
    Participant

My order from Scheel’s showed up today and none of them rattled.

Coletrain27
    Participant

Mine came the other day and none of them rattle. It’s a bit tricky to fill you really have to make sure you line up the cutout or gas pours out while filling. Emptied the 20 pound tank and didn’t even fully fill 1 bottle LOL

how do you leak 20# of lp out before turning off the valve? crazy

B-man
    Participant

I seen it from my house

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20221203-173617.png

deertracker
    Participant

What are you trying to line up? Screw the tank on, crack the bleeder screw and fill until liquid comes out. Then close the screw.
    DT

Huntindave
    Participant
    Shell Rock Iowa

What are you trying to line up? Screw the tank on, crack the bleeder screw and fill until liquid comes out. Then close the screw.

The brand name specific Flame King re-filler kit, has a indexing tab incorporated into the threaded fitting. That plastic tab lines up with a matching notch in the top of the Flame King bottles.

Not the best picture as I grabbed the photo from their instruction video.

If the tank is NOT lined up with the indexing tab, The fitting will not fully seat onto the top of the tank. If the fitting is not fully seated while filling the tank, the connection will leak.

Attachments:
    1. tank.jpg

Huntindave
    Participant
    Shell Rock Iowa

This is the notch in the tank, which must be lined up with the plastic indexing tab on the fill valve.

Attachments:
    1. 20221203_213350-scaled.jpg

Coletrain27
    Participant

I have the same filler with the notch. If you don’t have the notch seated correctly the tank will not even screw on so not sure how you could of leaked a whole 20# tank

CaptainMusky
    Participant

I have the same filler with the notch. If you don’t have the notch seated correctly the tank will not even screw on so not sure how you could of leaked a whole 20# tank

oh mine screwed on fine but leaked like a sieve when I tried filling it. I thought it wouldn’t screw on either if it wasn’t aligned properly but it did.

Huntindave
    Participant
    Shell Rock Iowa

oh mine screwed on fine but leaked like a sieve when I tried filling it. I thought it wouldn’t screw on either if it wasn’t aligned properly but it did.

Did you twist the tank? Or did you twist the connector cap? Can you post a photo of the inside of your connector cap showing the plastic tab?

biggill
    Participant
    East Bethel, MN

Response from flame king:

Hello Matt,
    Thank you for reaching out to Flame King and for being a part of our refillable family!
    So it’s quite normal for that sound to occur in some tanks as sometimes there can be a small amount of metal shavings left behind after it was produced. 100% safe to use as usual.

I emailed back asking if there is a filter or screen on the inside of the bottle preventing it from being sucked up. Waiting for a response.

CaptainMusky
    Participant

Did you twist the tank? Or did you twist the connector cap? Can you post a photo of the inside of your connector cap showing the plastic tab?

I twisted the connector cap. I will see if I can get a pic of the plastic tab.

CaptainMusky
    Participant

I seem to have figured out the leaking issue, but still have an issue with 1 bottle not filling but they dont leak anymore.

biggill
    Participant
    East Bethel, MN

Response from flame king about a screen or filter:

No screen. But wouldn’t come through as it’s only propane vapor that comes through valve.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.