Flame King Bottles

• buckybadger
    Participant
    Upper Midwest

…because we needed a 4th thread on the same topic. The first 3 that everyone is posting on were not enough

CaptainMusky
    Participant

LOL gotta make a BMETHEMBKEID whatever meme out of this.

biggill
    Participant
    East Bethel, MN
    CaptainMusky
    Participant

So I refilled my 20# tank and set out to filling my 5 remaining flame king tanks. some of these buggers like to leak no matter if they are lined up properly. I quit after trying the 3rd one because nothing I could do would keep it from leaking. That propane is cold on the hands too. These are brand new tanks. Anyone else have this problem?

JoeMX1825
    Participant
    MN

So I refilled my 20# tank and set out to filling my 5 remaining flame king tanks. some of these buggers like to leak no matter if they are lined up properly. I quit after trying the 3rd one because nothing I could do would keep it from leaking. That propane is cold on the hands too. These are brand new tanks. Anyone else have this problem?

yikes, haven’t filled mine yet…i guess check the gaskets and threads?

CaptainMusky
    Participant

Yeah, it was really strange. I am going to take a closer look and make sure the little indent in the top is in the same place on all of the tanks. I looked at the first one and saw it was opposite the set screw so assumed all would be the same and didnt look at the others.

JoeMX1825
    Participant
    MN

Is your adapter the Flameking brand?

Just wondering in the indent is unique to the FlameKing brand adapter and an offbrand one (amazon.com) wouldn’t work properly?

CaptainMusky
    Participant

I checked and that indent is in the same place on all bottles as I figured. I will give the other two bottles a shot to see how those work maybe that one just has an issue of some sort. Garage stinks so bad now.

B-man
    Participant

I checked and that indent is in the same place on all bottles as I figured. I will give the other two bottles a shot to see how those work maybe that one just has an issue of some sort. Garage stinks so bad now.

Dude seriously??

Don’t play with filling propane indoors.

This happened close to where I lived in Wisconsin a while back.

POLK COUNTY (WCCO) — One person is dead and another is in the hospital after a garage explosion and fire Saturday, according to the Polk County Sheriff’s Office.

The Sheriff’s Office says the incident occurred at 657 U.S. Highway 8 in Apple River Township. Stanley Johnson, 81, was inside the garage “actively filling a small 1 lb LP cylinder from a larger 20 lb tank” when the small tank ruptured and ignited the escaping gas.

Johnson’s wife, 77-year-old Nancy Johnson, was in the garage area when the explosion occurred. She was pronounced deceased on scene.

Stanley Johnson was able to escape the garage. He was transported to Amery Regional Medical Center for treatment of his injuries

CaptainMusky
    Participant

Geez that sounds awful. Never thought I would have an issue in the garage, but I guess I better rethink my life choices a bit.

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

Mr musky sir, never do that inside. Filling propane is a out door activity

Huntindave
    Participant
    Shell Rock Iowa

My opinion on “THE PLASTIC TAB”
    The tab is unneeded and a PITA. It is difficult to get the rotating cap screwed all the way down tight, to a stationary cylinder.

So much so, that one day with out thinking, I gave the cylinder a half twist to finish snugging it up to the gasket.

In doing so, I sheared off the plastic tab. Guess what, everything still fills and works just fine. Works better now without the tab in my opinion.

Now I can spin the cap OR spin the tank or a combination of both, until the connection is tight.

and YES,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ALWAYS FILL OUTSIDE or as I do, right next to the fully open overhead door.

Erik Swenson
    Participant

Check the gasket on the filler unit too Capt. My older one ripped and was leaking too until I just stuffed it back down around that plastic stopper. I bought a new one, but the old one is still sealing fine.

3Rivers
    Participant

They should definitely not be leaking right from the get go. I had a couple finally start leaking a small bit after about 4 years and 100 refills. It was an easy fix, but you will need the repair kit from Flame King.

CaptainMusky
    Participant

Well I just went to fill my last 3 bottles. 2 went perfectly fine no issues, but the same one that was spewing everywhere before no longer did that, but it will not fill. I think something must be plugged so when I get more time I will take a look at it.

deertracker
    Participant

I have the Amazon filler. No issues at all with leaking. Worked perfect. waytogo
    DT

deertracker
    Participant

The Amazon one does not have the indent like the Flame-King filler.
    DT

CaptainMusky
    Participant

I am having just a devil of a time with filling these tanks. Sometimes it works fine no issues, but I just tried refilling one I emptied and all it does is spew propane into the air. Any secrets here? Like I said some have worked easy no issues but others are a real challenge. Does the cold have anything to do with it? I typically attach the bottle with the tank right side up so I can make sure that tab is aligned and then turn upside down. This is frustrating.

James Almquist
    Participant

If your leaking propane you don’t have it on tight enough. I keep my tank upside down the whole time but have it up about 4′ just to make it easier to swap tanks and open the air release with the allen wrench. I had two that did what you are describing and a little tighter stop the leaking. Should always be nothing but air coming out when you first start.

CaptainMusky
    Participant

I am not sure how I could possibly get it any tighter. I have one tank that is faulty that I need to replace the o-ring which they sent me a replacement, but this one I was trying to fill yesterday is one I had filled without issue previously but I remounted it 3 times and still leaks. Its not coming out where it screws on, but out a hole in the side.

Huntindave
    Participant
    Shell Rock Iowa

Its not coming out where it screws on, but out a hole in the side.

Seems like that is an important detail which was left out in your previous response. Have you contacted FlameKing about the hole?

CaptainMusky
    Participant

Seems like that is an important detail which was left out in your previous response. Have you contacted FlameKing about the hole?

Not yet, but I plan to today. Its this hole in the pic. I tried just putting my finger over it to plug it but the tank still wouldnt fill.

Attachments:
    1. PXL_20221219_140240233.MP_-scaled.jpg

B-man
    Participant

Does the allen key tighten up?

CaptainMusky
    Participant

Does the allen key tighten up?

Yes, If I loosen it then propane comes out that hole. Tighten it up and it stops. No propane goes into the tank.

Huntindave
    Participant
    Shell Rock Iowa

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Huntindave wrote:</div>

Not yet, but I plan to today. Its this hole in the pic. I tried just putting my finger over it to plug it but the tank still wouldnt fill.

What am I missing? the only hole I see in your photo is the vent hole. Are you saying the vent screw is not sealing when you close it, after the tank is full?

CaptainMusky
    Participant

What am I missing? the only hole I see in your photo is the vent hole. Are you saying the vent screw is not sealing when you close it, after the tank is full?

When I filled the tanks before nothing ever came out that hole it came out by the allen screw once it was filled. This tank will not fill now and the propane comes out that other hole when I try to fill it and the allen screw is loosened.

Huntindave
    Participant
    Shell Rock Iowa

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Huntindave wrote:</div>

This tank will not fill now and the propane comes out that other hole when I try to fill it and the allen screw is loosened.

Don’t know what to tell you.
    The liquid propane first has to travel into the 1lb bottle before it can exit out thru the vent. Vapor will vent out first, followed by liquid, only after the liquid level reaches the vent. At that point the tank is full.
    I don’t know how the laws of physics would allow otherwise, but I’m not there.

B-man
    Participant

Musky, are you just barely cracking the allen valve when you fill or opening it wide open?

Try filling the tanks with the valve closed to start and feather the allen so it’s just barley hissing or not hissing at all.

It’s main purpose is to prevent you from overfilling the tank.

CaptainMusky
    Participant

I turn it about a quarter turn or so. I will try that and see what happens. Obviously this tank filled before so something is just wonky right now. I will try it this weekend since I have several other ones I can use for now.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.