Flambeau River?

• steveo
    Participant
    W Central Sconnie

I have my annual pilgrimage to the lovely Flambeau in 3 weeks. We’ll be fishing from 9 Mile down to Oxbo. Anybody had the chance to fish the river lately? Wondering how the water level is and if the smallies have turned on yet. Muskie activity?

steveo
    Participant
    W Central Sconnie

Just got back a couple of days ago.
    Water was a little lower than the previous two years. Smallie fishing was good, not great. I certainly prefer when the water is higher. Senko’s and tubes were running neck and neck for quality and quantity. Floating and jointed Raps in firetiger ran second.
    There were a couple of fish in the 18″ range but most ran between 15 and 17. Those fish are so FAT! If you hooked a 16″er in current on a Avid Med/Lite you certainly had a ball.
    No muskie this year. I saw a small one caught but had no follows
    Weather was great and I urge you to give the Flambeau a try sometime. Real pretty.

canislupus
    Participant

Just got back from the Flambeau. Fished from highway W to Cedar Falls. Got lots of smallmouth on spinnerbaits, inline spinners and twistertail. Most of them ran 10 to 14 inches. Also got a 3 foot tiger musky on a spinnerbait. Managed to put a treble hook from a husky jerk into my thumb while unhooking a smallie. Had to have someone yank it out for me.

stillakid2
    Participant
    Roberts, WI

Welcome to the board coolwater! Hope your thumb heals quickly…………..the thought of “rip/yank” made me cringe!

canislupus
    Participant

Thanks Stillakid. My girlfriend was the one that ripped it out. She used a little more force than I thought was necessary. Probably getting back at me for something. The thumb feels fine now.

steveo
    Participant
    W Central Sconnie

I forgot to mention that my fishing buddy nailed me in the back of the head with a #5 Mepps. One hook, past the barb dead in the center of the back of the old melon. Not much flesh back there, luckily. One quick yank with the pliers and I was good to go. No blood or anything…

stillakid2
    Participant
    Roberts, WI

Can you lay face first in the water and spout like a porpoise now? Does it double as a heat vent?

I’m sorry SteveO! I wouldn’t laugh if you weren’t okay……………but I just came off a weekend of raspberries and I guess I still got it in my system to throw out a few of my own!

Glad to hear you weren’t hurt!

steveo
    Participant
    W Central Sconnie

coolwater,
    did you fish out of Oxbo? I’m going up there again the weekend after Labor Day. I usually fish 9 Mile to Deadman’s Slough. Wondering if we should try Oxbo and head downriver?

canislupus
    Participant

Two years ago we started at Oxbo and worked our way down to Highway W. The fishing that year was good. We caught a few muskies and saw a couple more. The smallmouth were pretty aggressive too. This year we started at highway W and went downriver from there, and we did pretty well.

steveo
    Participant
    W Central Sconnie

I’ve been fishing that stretch from 9 Mile down to Deadman’s for the past 6 years. I know it really well. The water level is supposed to be low. Finding holes will be the key. They should be stacked up in the holes like cordwood. No place else for them to go.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.