Squaw Lake

• zoomer
    Twin Cities

I will be going to Squaw lake the beginning of August in Lac du Flambeau. Can anyone tell me what to expect. What other lake might I plan on fishing while I am there. All species.
    Zoomer

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

I am assuming that the Squaw that you will be fishing is just south of Hwy 70 between Minocqua and Fifield. If so, the lake is shallow and long and has a max depth around 25′. It has good populations of walleye, musky and crappie. I have not been able to get out and fish it yet, but hear good things about it.

Mark

zoomer
    Twin Cities

Thanks Mark any other lakes I might try in the area. We have been going to a cabin in north western Minnesota and the place closed so we decided to try northern Wisconsin
    I assume the lakes are stained what type of presentations work well for walleye and bass in the area?
    Zoomer

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

zoomer:

Lakes to try: the Flambeau Chain, Squirrel, Pike/Round Lake Chain, Willow Flowage and that is a lot of water if you stay on the west side of Minocqua without talking about the smaller lakes that dot the area.

Tactics: Big problem for most people who have trolling in their aresenal is that it is not allowed in our two county area. Aside from that most fish are be deep right now. There are in some of the lakes I mentioned above water clarities down to 20′. Squaw is not one of those, but still is a good fishery. Dodge Boy and I tried to find a suspended cisco bit last night on Trout that the row trollers are working right now. We ended up fishing jigs/leeches on humps at 25′ and 10′ and surprisingly found fish on the shallower hump. My first bet would be to work jigs a little deeper, on a dark water lake you may be able to be shallower. Look for weeds as they are important for the guides right now as well. PM me and let me know when you are coming up and let’s stay in touch til’you leave.

Mark

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.