North Fork Flambeau River

• steveo
    Participant
    W Central Sconnie

Just returned from a week long canoe/fish/camping trip on the Flambeau River by Fifield WI.
    Had a great time and caught lots of smallmouth bass. Size was running somewhat smaller than last year when we went in August. 4″ tubes and “Chompers” were the ticket. 1/16 to 1/8 oz jig heads. Most fish were from 12″ to 16″ (legals have to be 14″) our group did boat several over 16 and a couple that were pushing 20″.
    great trip all in all. we did get caught in a storm on Saturday 7/27 that produced 90 mph straight line wind. Lots of trees crashing down all around us. pretty scary. couple of our guys actually were blew right over in canoes. didn’t know where the safest spot was: on shore or in the canoe! No muskie but a nice 33″ pike was caught.
    Nice river and I recommend fishing it highly. really light fishing pressure.

tom_gursky
    Participant
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Sounds like you did well Steve! I haven’t fished that area for quite a while. My buddy has a place near Park Falls and we used to fish that stretch several years ago. Its good to hear things haven’t changed much. I used to flyfish that stretch with Muddler Minnows and have a blast on Smallies.

steveo
    Participant
    W Central Sconnie

we hit them pretty well. Last August was an exceptional trip where we hardly caught anything under 15″. There’s a nice stretch of river right below the flowage that’s even better. tough stretch to canoe because of the rapids. perfect for a wooden jon with a 3 or 4 horse outboard.
    nice to know soemone else who’s familiar with the area.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.