Flaters Bar

• fishingdaskoal
    Participant
    EauClaire WI

I guess a Wisconsin Record Sturgeon was caught here. Where the Chippewa and Flambeau Rivers meet. Alota Musky mounts inside bar, but has anyone ever fished this??

spaceman
    Participant
    Cudahy,WI

I was going to float the Flambeau from the Thornapple dam to Flater’s a couple of years ago but just ended up fishing the Dam. It looks like a good spot though. Both rivers are wide and deep enough that you could motor up or go down into the Holcombe flowage. All good looking sturgeon spots.
    (there is a weekly update on the Holcombe flowage on the fishing reports section of lake-link.com.
    Dan,

fishingdaskoal
    Participant
    EauClaire WI

Yeah both rivers are indeed deep.

Thanks Dan.

stillakid2
    Participant
    Roberts, WI

I don’t know what part of the rivers you guys are familiar with but last fall a buddy and I got beached at Flaters, right at the confluence. I’ve also put in north of Flaters and there was enough water to float down but to motor around, you’re going to chew your prop up something ridiculous! Where Cty Rd D passes over the Chip, you have a quarter mile at best and things are going to start getting iffy. Hug the northern shoreline and keep that motor up as much as possible. You’ll get to Flaters….. but you won’t free roam this river.

There are plenty of places to catch big muskie and sturgeon throughout the 2 river systems, but I’d only float trip a jon or canoe. Too many unpredictables. Deep…… ankles…….. Deep……. ankles. Both are this way from the flowages all the way to Holcombe and beyond. I’d definitely get with someone who’s got some experience on these waters and start learning.

fishingdaskoal
    Participant
    EauClaire WI

You gotten any trophies around that area?

stillakid2
    Participant
    Roberts, WI

I know they get up there. The key to locating them is springs. Find a spring and start casting…… you should get bit! My dad has a close friend that does this. I just went on the system 3 different times to see what I could find. Lots of shallow water….. but lots of excellent looking spots too.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.