Fishing with 3 lines

• Brandon Meyers
    Eau Claire, WI

I’ve been fishing pool 4 for quite a few years now and if trolling I typically run 3 lines per person if on the WI side and 2 if on the MN side. Last Thursday and today I was stopped by 2 people saying I’m fishing with 2 to many lines. WI side just north of the pickle factory – my brother and myself – 3 boards per side. Has something changed down here? Guy today was polite guy on Thursday was a prick.

Kevin

They must be ignorant of the laws, as you stated you can legally use 3 lines on Wisconsin side and 2 on Minnesota side. The only thing that is relatively new on the Mississippi border waters is the walleye/sauger limit is now 4 min 15″(walleye) with 1 walleye/sauger over 20.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

What Kevin said. Follow the rules of the state your fishing in.

Brandon Meyers
    Eau Claire, WI

Yeah any one else getting enlightened by a guy in a crestliner with down riggers? Literally cut us off to yell and argue. Crazy the nerve of some people.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Yeah any one else getting enlightened by a guy in a crestliner with down riggers? Literally cut us off to yell and argue. Crazy the nerve of some people.

I haven’t fished that spot much recently. There are some of the same 4/5 boats working it daily as noted by a friend who does work in the marina there. Your harassers may have been one of the regulars.

Everyone seems to want to cut people off in that community spot. There’s a fairly tight offshore break there that everyone tries to straddle trolling different directions at different speeds using different tactics all cutting extremely close to one another until a couple boats come spot lock the break after seeing people catch fish there on passes.

pass0047
    Pool4

Does it matter if you are mn resident. If so do u need a Wisconsin license to fish 3 lines? Thanks

Brandon Meyers
    Eau Claire, WI

No it does not matter.
    If you are a MN resident you need a MN liscense
    If WI Resident you need a WI Liscnese.
    If you are from a different state – you need a non-resident liscense from either one of the states.
    You can fish shore to shore with either state liscense.
    Both the MN and WI fishing regulations explain this as well as following the regulations of the side of the river you are fishing on. MN – 2 lines WI – 3 Lines.
    The only thing I can see confusing is that the MN Regs call out 2 lines specifically in the MN-WI Border water section and the WI Regs doesn’t say anything about lines in the border water section. This is probably due to the fact that 3 lines is tycicall through out WI.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I agree with Brandon except on on technical point.

You can fish shore to shore with either state license.

It’s actually train track to train track. This allows folks to fish boarder water rules from the state they are in, in the backwaters (until the train track)

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Literally cut us off to yell and argue.

Get the boat registration number and call it into the CO. If you asked the guy that cut you off his phone number, the CO can explain it over the phone. No reason for you to argue with the (possibly) uninformed angler.

critter 1

Had the same thing happen to me between Bogus Point and Stockholm about a year ago. Boat with Minnesota registration with two guys yelling at me for running three lines. I just ignored them and went about my business. Not worth the argument.

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

Please correct me if I am wrong……..

If you are a MN resident and you possess BOTH MN and WI licenses you can ONLY use 2 lines even if you are fishing on the WI side. You must obey the license you are a resident of (even if you have both) on border waters.

Wisconsin residents may use 3 lines on the WI side only.

Brandon Meyers
    Eau Claire, WI

That’s in-correct – you follow the side you are fishing on regardless of your liscensing state. MN anglers with only MN liscnese or with both can fish with 3 lines on the WI side.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

As I said many times before, a fishing license is just like a drivers license (on the boarder waters). Just because I have a MN fishing license does not mean I can drive the 70 mph on the WI side even if that’s what I could legally drive in MN.

As long as you are licensed legally, follow the laws of the state that you are fishing in. (No, having an outstate WI fishing license will not cut it if you reside in MN.)

Dang I wish we could get these laws the same on both sides of the river. It really shouldn’t be this hard.

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

cool! thanks!! fish don’t stand a chance now…..

side note…. how can some of these best fisheries in MN survive with more than one line???? HMMMMMM…… seems like a test group to me.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.