Fishing in Canada

• Sunfish

Looking for some local guidance. Fishing Rainy 9/22 through 9/25

Pre covid I was able to head into the North Arm, following Canadian restrictions on bait (frozen minnows, artificial bedding for crawlers, no booze, etc…)

I can’t get a clear sense of what is happening with the re-open as of 9-7-2021. I purchased an 8 day license easy enough, but am wondering if they’re stopping folks at the causeway, checking vac cards, do you have to be tested even though we won’t set foot on Canadian soil?

If anyone has some guidance to offer it’s greatly appreciated. As far as I can tell, it’s the same as it was in 2018/2019. Don’t touch land, don’t get near other boats and follow their rules.

Thanks

Ron
    Victoria, mn

The Canadian government defines what you are planning to do as “loop movements”. In and out of Canada without landing, anchoring, mooring or coming “alongside another boat”, which is a little vague in my opinion. But that’s the way it’s been for years. This specific quote from the Canadian government website describes it:
    “If you enter Canadian waters for leisure and touring, including pleasure fishing, sightseeing and other discretionary purposes (known as loop movements), you are not required to report to the CBSA as long as the boat does not land on Canadian soil, anchor, moor or come alongside another boat in Canadian waters.”
    If I were doing this, I’d print the paragraph above and carry it with me.
    https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/pb-pp-eng.html#s2_2
    Scroll down to the bottom of this web page and you’ll find
    Date modified: 2021-09-07

Attachments:
    1. loop.jpg

Sunfish

You’re the man Ron. I’ll let you know how it goes upon our return.

Pat K
    Empire, MN

“Loop movements” are allowed according to a few friends that fished LOW last week.
    Bait restrictions have tightened up post covid. You are no longer allowed to bring salted or frozen minnows into Canada and they also banned bringing worms in any type of bedding into Canada.
    They were checked by an Ontario CO. In talking to him after they were checked out and were in compliance with the new rules, he told them that any bait that was alive or had ever been alive was banned from being brought into Canada not just Ontario.

scottaheller

“Loop movements” are allowed according to a few friends that fished LOW last week.
    Bait restrictions have tightened up post covid. You are no longer allowed to bring salted or frozen minnows into Canada and they also banned bringing worms in any type of bedding into Canada.
    They were checked by an Ontario CO. In talking to him after they were checked out and were in compliance with the new rules, he told them that any bait that was alive or had ever been alive was banned from being brought into Canada not just Ontario.

Pat – did your friends have to show vac cards to the CO?

blackbay

Don’t you still need an Remote Border Crossing Permit?

Greenhorn
    Bismarck, ND

Is there a link or memo you can share for these new restrictions?

Pat K
    Empire, MN

Pat – did your friends have to show vac cards to the CO?

Just heard back from one of them. He said the CO said something about “the bug” hurting tourism but vaccinations weren’t mentioned. But they had cards with them just in case.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.