Fish Replicas

• Steve Plantz
    Participant
    SE MN

Looking for advice and recommendations for the best place to get a replica made and info on what all you need to do, the steps you need to take to have one made. Had a young man at church approach me today to show me a pic he had of an awesome trout he caught earlier this year and wanted some advice on what to do to get it mounted, I suggested that he should consider a replica as it would last forever as compared to a mount. I have never had a fish mounted or a replica made so I am turning here to the best source I know for the answers.

Trent W
    Participant
    Chatfield, MN

I have 3 mounts that have been done by Fiber Tech Productions of Brainerd. Very happy with how they turned out. They can make a reproduction from photos and measurements or from the actual fish. Best advice would be to get a hold of them for specific details

http://www.fibertechproductions.com/index.html

muskie-tim
    Participant
    Rush City MN

I have used Artistic Angler out of Duluth and was very happy with muskie replica he did.

http://www.artisticanglers.com/

A friend of mine used Bakken Taxidermy in Racine. He had both a northern and a perch replica made and they are really well done.

Dan
    Participant
    Southeast MN

I haven’t gotten a replica mount done but I’d like to. From what I’ve heard the more information the better as far as lenght, girth, etc. I’ve also heard they might be more expensive, because with a mount of an actual caught fish they’ll touch up the appearance but with a replica they literally need to start from scratch and paint it all.

I really do like the concept though because it keeps those monster trophies in the water for others to catch.

Tom Scott
    Participant

I had a muskie replica made by Craig’s Taxidermy out of Shakopee MN 952-445-6814 a couple years back. I feel like it was about $750?? They will need to know length and girth. The reason I went with the guy I did is because he raised them at one point and knew a lot about them.

mxskeeter
    Participant
    SW Wisconsin

I had a walleye done by Bass Pro. Sent 3 pictures, weight, and length. Turned out well. I’m happy. 4 months and 400 bucks total shipped to my door. waytogo

mplspug
    Participant
    Palmetto, Florida

I don’t understand if the fish is dead, why get a replica? I’d just get a mount.

If I ever get a mount, it will be a replica of a released fish. Hiwever, if the fish dies while catching it or can’t be revived, I’m getting it mounted. I just don’t see why I’d get a replica when I can get the real thing stuffed.

Dusty Gesinger
    Participant
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Replicas will last much longer.

Steve Plantz
    Participant
    SE MN

I don’t understand if the fish is dead, why get a replica? I’d just get a mount.

If I ever get a mount, it will be a replica of a released fish. Hiwever, if the fish dies while catching it or can’t be revived, I’m getting it mounted. I just don’t see why I’d get a replica when I can get the real thing stuffed.

I have never had a mount done or a replica made but I have two mounts that were given to me and one replica given to me also. Yes the replica will cost more but it will last forever where the mounts will deteriorate over time. The two mounts have really went down hill to the point where I should probably just throw them out, the replica on the other hand still looks like new.

mplspug
    Participant
    Palmetto, Florida

Hmm, maybe I’d get both and store the replica away until needed. )

big_g
    Participant
    Isle, MN

As far as replica’s, I am in the same boat as Pug… if the fish dies, either eat it or mount it. Take a picture, that will last forever too… I will say it, I always look at a replica and say…. riiiiiiight. devil jester

steve-fellegy
    Participant
    Resides on the North Shores of Mille Lacs--guiding on Farm Island these days

I have 3 mounts that have been done by Fiber Tech Productions of Brainerd. Very happy with how they turned out. They can make a reproduction from photos and measurements or from the actual fish. Best advice would be to get a hold of them for specific details

http://www.fibertechproductions.com/index.html

X 100 !!

Don Miller
    Participant
    Onamia

Buy a mounted fish off Craig’s List that is similar to the one you caught. You will not have to wait a year to get it back and save a lot of money.

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

I’ve got a couple sitting at Fibertech right now waiting to be picked up. My choice came down to Fibertech and Artistic Anglers and their work seemed very comparable. I decided to go with Fibertech for two reasons: 1 – They will have your fish to you in a matter of months not years 2 – They have the feel of more of a small family owned business which I like.

Will

steve-fellegy
    Participant
    Resides on the North Shores of Mille Lacs--guiding on Farm Island these days

I’ve got a couple sitting at Fibertech right now waiting to be picked up. My choice came down to Fibertech and Artistic Anglers and their work seemed very comparable. I decided to go with Fibertech for two reasons: 1 – They will have your fish to you in a matter of months not years 2 – They have the feel of more of a small family owned business which I like.

Will

EXACTLY!!

Steve Plantz
    Participant
    SE MN

Time to bring this one back to the top, thanks for all the advice so far. The young man still has not decided if he wants to go with a mount or a replica, any recommendations for a good taxidermist near the Rochester area? Anyone ever use http://www.davesfishmounting.com/

bendvoracek
    Participant
    Eden Prairie, MN

I was very pleased with Artistic Anglers. Here is my 31 inch walleye with 16.5 inch girth I caught up in Canada a few years ago.

Attachments:
    1. image-71.jpeg

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.