Fish house flooring

• Brandon Johnson
    Bayport

I am going to start building a 10×20 skid house for Mille Lacs. What has everyone used for flooring? I want to use some type of rubber that is lightweight, waterproof, soft (cushiony) and wont break the bank. TIA.

404 ERROR
    MN

Keep in mind most rubber flooring turns into a skating rink with wet, snowy or icy boots.

I use rubber backed carpet squares . They work, but hooks will get caught in them pretty easy. Easy to replace if they get muddy in the summertime and barefoot walking is wayyy better than on rubber.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Skeeter –
    That’s the manufacturers website showing MSRP, you can buy it for less.
    There are also knock off brands of water proof core.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

I’d opt out more for a vinyl plank or full sheet than a laminate, as fancy as it may be. Be concerned with the extreme temp changes on those joints which is the reason for the waterproofness. We’ve had luck with traffic master allure in the cabin and a pull behind trailer. Good value.

Curious why more fishhouses dont have snap in carpeting like boats? Take the carpet into dry between trips, and the seaming and snaps are pretty easy to DIY on big box stores carpet.

tomr
    cottage grove, mn

If building a house our last one we sandwiched between treated plywood 2″ of that pink rigid board insulation. Wow very nice can walk around in slippers and it created no problems in the 12 years in place.

Brandon Johnson
    Bayport

I think I am going to stick with a rubber floor. Stayed in a couple shacks on red that had rubber flooring and it was great. I found a roll at menards that is big enough to cover the while shack with no seems. The down fall it is only 55 mil or 1/18th inch thick. Do you guys think if I seal the floor, put down a 5/16th carpet pad and then glued the rubber down to the pad it should work? Should have enough cushion with the pad and waterproof with the rubber, plus the floor will be spray foamed so it will be warm. In my mind it will work. What do you guys think?

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

I would skip the carpet pad.

Brandon Johnson
    Bayport

You dont think that would be to stiff right on the floor? It’s only 1/18th thick.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

I think you should do carpet pad just so I can read the post come mid Winter on why in the heck you put carpet pad down devil

Even the best pad has no place in a fish house. Why the need for extravegent cushion? Helps the r value but not by much. I’d really worry about that rubber floor stretching out overtime by being on top that pad similar to carpets on cheaper pads. Cold and stiff floor might split on ya. Keep everything firm imo.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.