Fish finder that shows up bait fish very well at all depths. Showing as archs.

• R Petersen

Can not get a good local answer on the 200′ deep St. Lawrence River

Thank you

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

What’s your question?

R Petersen

What fish finders read bait fish very well ? I have a couple of older Garmens. Low priced. But they read clumps of seaweed just like bait fish.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Garmin, Lowrance, Hummingbird, (1) Spend some time learning how to read them, many good on line tutorials. (2)Then spend some money for a higher end model which will have the resolution and detail you desire. Once you do the first you will be able to do the second.

This may sound blunt but it is the best advice I can offer you.

R Petersen

I am 80. Time is very short. I am renting a cottage with a shallow bay in front of it. Lots of other seniors with tons of grand kids fishing from the docks. Not much caught from it. I can take a senior & 1 smaller child a couple of hundred feet out into weed lines at the edge of the St. Lawrence River. All summer these weeds are somehow breaking loose. Anchoring? Power cruisers? Very large 100′ to about 300′ cruise ships ?

I need some make & model finders That give me a good chance of setting it too read either fish arches or various fish echo symbols. I HATE that fuzzy dot echo returns mode of operation.
    Would a limit of $ 1,000 get a good unit?

Thank you

Crappy Fisherman

Look for a locator that has Chirp. Any of the new mid range locators with a 7 to 9 inch screen will show 100 percent more than older models. You still have to mount the transducer correctly and ajust it for the best reading. Learning to set it up right and understanding what you are looking at are the key to reading a locator.

fishinfreaks
    Rogers, MN

Look into a Lowrance HDS 9 Gen 3. Try to get one with the HD and down/side scan. You can find them still for around $1200. If you need help installing and learning, that will cost a bit more.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Scheels has a very nice sale going on right now.

Lowrance HDS-7 Gen3 Bundle $699.99 —– regular price $1,399.99
    FREE Map Card
    Save $700.00
    Free Shipping

Link to sale ad

tim hurley

Sounds like everyone is counting on you-know the feeling-good luck.

R Petersen

Well I know the reliabilities of Hummingbirds 360 is not good. Enough complaints of repeat problems of the others. So I buy 2 more newer down looking sonars & call it a day. With 4 Garmins on the boat 1 or 2 will be working.

At $ 500 to $1,000 ? Or more ? I DEMAND PERFECTION. NOT No work junk.

Thank you for helping.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.